Data Science student looking for new laptop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Data Science student looking for new laptop

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Data Science student looking for new laptop

Hi,

I will be starting a certificate course in Data Science soon and want to get a laptop. I've read some suggestions but thought you guys might have some ideas. Here's my answers to the questions. I had thought about taking advantage of the Prime day deals (or the competing sales @ Newegg, BestBuy) but without much understanding of Intel chips, and needing guidance, I know it's probably smarter to wait (class starts Sept. 21) and get the right machine versus saving a few bucks.

I'm a bit lost because I've only had desktops the last 20 years, and have always built my own, using AMD chips. But I want to go Intel now.

Thank you!

PS, if I was going to buy today I was looking at these two:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1683423...82E16834235226
ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501 (GM501GS-US74) for $1499
OR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9XPF1S..._i=15201447011
OMEN by HP 2018 15-inch Gaming Laptop also $1499

What is your maximum budget? $1500 (assuming that's reasonable)

What country are you in? USA

What will be the uses of this laptop? Schoolwork, handling small, med, eventually larger datasets for analytics, etc.

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? I like ASUS a lot, but am open to Microsoft, HP, Dell, Acer.

What screen size do you require? I'd like 15"

What screen resolution do you require? open, but like 1920x1080

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? Prefer new

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) at least 6 hours, more preferred

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings? No games. But still like good Vid Card, possibly for parallel processing

What operating system do you need? (if any) Windows 10 (ability to run Linux versions, too)

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.) No

How much hard drive space do you need? No less than 256 SSD, 512 preferred (SSD for fast data access)

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.) No.

Is there anything else we need to know? Modern processor, quality high speed RAM (at least 16GB). don't really care about touchscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi, you would exclusively want ot buy a laptop with GTX 1070? If that's not an issue I would reccomend something more affordable,whiles you won't overpay. In addition it's the new brands, which can change and manipulate the price leaving you with a choice of a cheaper laptop with worse specs.

I would personally go for ASUS Zephyrus, the one you choes is quite powerful , though it is too overpriced.

look at this one:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2060-15NA27

or this one:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2060-15NA26

Both have 144 hz screen and they have either 1TB or 480 GB SSD. You can even customize. Plus you get RTX 2060 graphic card hich is way stronger.

The screen size is 15,6. I have G 1650 and to be honest it's the best one I've ever had so far! and the price was just a little above 1100$! Definitely reccomend you this
brand, so as I am already attached to it and it stope my heart
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by marand97 View Post
Hi, you would exclusively want ot buy a laptop with GTX 1070? If that's not an issue I would reccomend something more affordable,whiles you won't overpay. In addition it's the new brands, which can change and manipulate the price leaving you with a choice of a cheaper laptop with worse specs.

I would personally go for ASUS Zephyrus, the one you choes is quite powerful , though it is too overpriced.

look at this one:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2060-15NA27

or this one:

https://dreammachines.pl/en/configurator/RT2060-15NA26

Both have 144 hz screen and they have either 1TB or 480 GB SSD. You can even customize. Plus you get RTX 2060 graphic card hich is way stronger.

The screen size is 15,6. I have G 1650 and to be honest it's the best one I've ever had so far! and the price was just a little above 1100$! Definitely reccomend you this
brand, so as I am already attached to it and it stope my heart
Wow, those dream machines look great, and I like the price. It's been so long since I have been studying up on hardware, is it better to get 2 memory chips @ 8 GB each, or a single 16GB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So after not hearing much on this thread... (what happened to the OC.net I used to know and love from about 6 or 7 years ago?) ...

I really like the ASUS motherboards I've owned and maybe more importantly, find their support very good. I couldn't find almost anything else on the web about dream machines, otherwise I would have gone for that G1650

I went with the similar specs to the dream machine you mentioned above, and chose this ASUS ROG Strix G (2019) Gaming Laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-ro...82E16834235250

it's got:
17.3" IPS Type FHD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Intel Core i7-9750H
16 GB DDR4
1 TB PCIe NVMe SSD

I imagine it has all the computing power I will need, a big enough screen to see my work, good memory, and didn't break the bank @ $1400 incl tax.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by bdpinko View Post
Wow, those dream machines look great, and I like the price. It's been so long since I have been studying up on hardware, is it better to get 2 memory chips @ 8 GB each, or a single 16GB?

That's great to hear mate that feeling is mutual Of course two memory chips each 8gb would be better , in dual chanell.

Here you can have some more info on why this is a reasonable solution. I know it is a little outdated but still shows the idea briefly.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

So after not hearing much on this thread... (what happened to the OC.net I used to know and love from about 6 or 7 years ago?) ...

I really like the ASUS motherboards I've owned and maybe more importantly, find their support very good. I couldn't find almost anything else on the web about dream machines, otherwise I would have gone for that G1650

I went with the similar specs to the dream machine you mentioned above, and chose this ASUS ROG Strix G (2019) Gaming Laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-ro...82E16834235250

it's got:
17.3" IPS Type FHD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Intel Core i7-9750H
16 GB DDR4
1 TB PCIe NVMe SSD

I imagine it has all the computing power I will need, a big enough screen to see my work, good memory, and didn't break the bank @ $1400 incl tax.

Hi, did you make any choice yet? Have I helped a bit?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by marand97 View Post
Hi, did you make any choice yet? Have I helped a bit?
Yes you definitely helped! So i was in a spiral of decision making and actually ordered an asus rog machine, which i sent back because it benchmarked pretty slow (that decision cost me $200 over at newegg...). then i ordered an msi gs75 from CUK (also thru newegg) but after a full week they had not shipped it so i cancelled that ordered and got a full refund.

If you're still reading, you're a saint, thank you. I ordered another msi gs75 from amazon, but it had the GTX 2070 max Q instead of the full 2070, so i shipped that back and i expect full credit from a very kind reseller on amazon (excalibur pc).

Since then i've done more research and decided to spend a bit more and get the
i9-9900k processor (why not have the best!)
GTX 2070 (full version) gpu
32mb ram in dual 16gb sticks @300 0MHz
500GB Samsung EVO Plus SSD
1 TB firecuda SSHD
... and all of that with upgraded thermal paste to keep it all running as cool as possible.

Those options would be very pricey from a name brand, so i'm looking at a custom build from GentechPC, ProStar, Sager or most likely XOTIC (the latter seems to have the best prices and some extras like OS boost and overclocking in the bios). I've included a screenshot of the selected options.

What do you think?

It'll be about $3000 incl tax, a bit more than i expected but i think the i0-9900K will serve me better than the i7-9750H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xoticpcoptions.png
Views:	5
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	291004  

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderators

Yes you definitely helped! So i was in a spiral of decision making and actually ordered an asus rog machine, which i sent back because it benchmarked pretty slow (that decision cost me $200 over at newegg...). then i ordered an msi gs75 from CUK (also thru newegg) but after a full week they had not shipped it so i cancelled that ordered and got a full refund.

If you're still reading, you're a saint, thank you. I ordered another msi gs75 from amazon, but it had the GTX 2070 max Q instead of the full 2070, so i shipped that back and i expect full credit from a very kind reseller on amazon (excalibur pc).

Since then i've done more research and decided to spend a bit more and get the
i9-9900k processor (why not have the best!)
GTX 2070 (full version) gpu
32mb ram in dual 16gb sticks @300 0MHz
500GB Samsung EVO Plus SSD
1 TB firecuda SSHD
... and all of that with upgraded thermal paste to keep it all running as cool as possible.

Those options would be very pricey from a name brand, so i'm looking at a custom build from GentechPC, ProStar, Sager or most likely XOTIC (the latter seems to have the best prices and some extras like OS boost and overclocking in the bios). I've included a screenshot of the selected options.

What do you think?

It'll be about $3000 incl tax, a bit more than i expected but i think the i0-9900K will serve me better than the i7-9750H.
That's essentially double your initial budget though... Is this really what you want to spend?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
That's essentially double your initial budget though... Is this really what you want to spend?
well, i'd rather spend less, but i do think for what i'm getting, it's a good deal. I don't mind spending the extra if it will help me process huge data sets efficiently (which I hope to be doing sometime soon...). I could probably get by with the i7-9750H instead of the i9-9900K. maybe i got carried away with the idea of having the fastest mobile proc out there, and a better than necessary gpu, and maybe more ram than i need.

i do wonder if the i9-9900 overheats (which is why i would opt for the upgraded thermal paste, and thermal pads), and if the 1TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD is a good data drive.

i am probably going to go with gentech or xotic, though i was just looking at the same config on dreammachines, it's just that i can't find any info on them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderators

well, i'd rather spend less, but i do think for what i'm getting, it's a good deal. I don't mind spending the extra if it will help me process huge data sets efficiently (which I hope to be doing sometime soon...). I could probably get by with the i7-9750H instead of the i9-9900K. maybe i got carried away with the idea of having the fastest mobile proc out there, and a better than necessary gpu, and maybe more ram than i need.

i do wonder if the i9-9900 overheats (which is why i would opt for the upgraded thermal paste, and thermal pads), and if the 1TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD is a good data drive.

i am probably going to go with gentech or xotic, though i was just looking at the same config on dreammachines, it's just that i can't find any info on them.
I'd say go for it (i9) if you plan on doing some video editing or 3D modeling. Otherwise, stick to the latest i7 generation

What is the price difference if you look at this option?

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in