Games run smoother on Battery - power settings all on high - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Games run smoother on Battery - power settings all on high

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Games run smoother on Battery - power settings all on high

Hey. So I have a weird problem with my laptop lately.

Laptop is: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i.../dp/B075FLBJV7
No modifications except a 750GB WD Black HDD I added for storage.

This laptop used to be able to run games like CSGO just fine, no problems. Lately, however, I noticed some significant jitters in my FPS. I just went with it, because I thought maybe it was just because I was used to 144hz and 60 felt jittery by comparison. Until I unplugged the laptop to take it outside for a smoke and everything ran perfectly smoothly.

I looked through all my power settings that I can find, made sure everything was on high performance; no change. I reset the defaults on the power settings; no change.

The difference is instant, so it's not an overheating issue. The exact moment I unplug, my frame rate stabilizes at about 120-140. The moment I plug it in, it spikes, literally every other frame, seemingly randomly between 40 and 200. I recorded it on my Galaxy S9's "super slow motion" video capture and manually recorded the frame rates as they changed and put them in a spreadsheet. I've attached a screenshot.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix this? I bought this laptop specifically to be a light gaming portable machine, but it's practically unplayable when plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power_problems.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	281950  

wth.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump?

wth.gif
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 PM
Da Boss

Rep: 145 (Unique: 123)
So the obvious thing to ask is all of your software and drivers are up to date?
Secondly, have you tried a fresh install of Windows without all the Acer crapware on it? I've seen before where OEM power software competes with Windows built in profiles and creates all types of havoc.
Back up your data, WIPE and reload Windows 10. Install/update needed drivers and Windows updates. Install games, do some testing and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

First task after checking power settings was to update the video drivers; no change.

I would prefer avoiding re-installing windows if at all possible...I'm curious what's causing the problem, so I would rather fix than just blow everything away and start over

wth.gif
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I am not sure about it though the problem may lay upon power settings. Check wheather you don't have any Acer type of software installed and running in the background. It may cause a decrease in performance when charging so as not to spoil the charger and not to overheat at the same time allowing it to run longer on battery when unplugged.

Usually these softwares are not useful just as my predecessors say, so get rid of them restart your Laptop, go to the clean boot mode and just try o use mid range performance of the power.

I heard about similar issues with lenovo laptops and the solvation to this would be to go to NVIDIA control Panel and choosing the high efficient Processor NVIDIA.
Actually it should switch to NVIDIA automatically. Again try to do some tests and post here if you get a sufficient result.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Da Boss

Rep: 145 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr_Me_II View Post
First task after checking power settings was to update the video drivers; no change.

I would prefer avoiding re-installing windows if at all possible...I'm curious what's causing the problem, so I would rather fix than just blow everything away and start over
Unfortunately, blowing it away may be your only option. Just like cell phone OS, a lot of OEMs like to bake their stuff into it. Even if you do remove any OEM software, lingering settings, files, registry items, and even GPO configurations could keep the issues lingering around. That's why it's ALWAYS BEST PRACTISE to fresh install the OS when you purchase a prebuilt system or laptop.
Plus, these days, if you back up your data and do a fresh install, it should take you no more than an hour or so. I bet coming up with all that data took you some time when you could have just started fresh, configured the system the way you like and be on your way gaming as you should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in