[CAN] Laptop for college - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CAN] Laptop for college

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
[CAN] Laptop for college

As the title states, I'm looking for a laptop that is light and thin, has a SSD and performs enough to use for course work. Would like a 15.6" display, and the ability to upgrade components in the future to keep it relevant.

I was eyeing the ASUS Vivobook S15 (i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM), this runs about 899$ CDN before taxes. Would you recommend something else?

Where should I order this from online in Canada?

I was looking at newegg.ca or staples.ca, or maybe even amazon.ca. What are your thoughts? Is there something better out there?

Thank you!

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer


mega_option101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Bump

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer



Last edited by mega_option101; 08-18-2019 at 03:48 AM.
mega_option101 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,028
Rep: 298 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Bump 🙂
The Vivobook S15 is a good choice, its about as slim and light as you're going to get with a 15.6" laptop with upgradable ram.

Alternatively, if you're willing to drop the upgradable ram and want the lightest, slimmest possible. There's the Acer Swift 5, it weighs less than a kg and is only 16mm thick.

Or if you want the cheapest possible, there are some pretty slim and neat looking notebooks from China. The Teclast F15 for example comes with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for around 550CAD, downside is that it uses a slower processor (N4100) still a quad core though.

Last edited by Gilles3000; 08-18-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Gilles3000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
The Vivobook S15 is a good choice, its about as slim and light as you're going to get with a 15.6" laptop with upgradable ram.

Alternatively, if you're willing to drop the upgradable ram and want the lightest, slimmest possible. There's the Acer Swift 5, it weighs less than a kg and is only 16mm thick.

Or if you want the cheapest possible, there are some pretty slim and neat looking notebooks from China. The Teclast F15 for example comes with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD for around 550CAD, downside is that it uses a slower processor (N4100) still a quad core though.
Thank you for taking the time to comment

I had not considered the Acer Swift 5! It looks very comparable to the Asus Vivobook S15, but 700 grams lighter!

I will have to see how they compare in terms of prices. I would assume there is a premium on the fact that it is this light.

+REP

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer


mega_option101 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,028
Rep: 298 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to comment

I had not considered the Acer Swift 5! It looks very comparable to the Asus Vivobook S15, but 700 grams lighter!

I will have to see how they compare in terms of prices. I would assume there is a premium on the fact that it is this light.

+REP
Its quite a bit more expensive, can't say I think its good value for money unless you really want the lightest and thinnest.

And instead of the i5 version id look into the Ryzen 5 3500U version of the vivobook, its a bargain at 699 cad.
https://www.newegg.ca/slate-gray-asu...82E16834235206
Gilles3000 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Its quite a bit more expensive, can't say I think its good value for money unless you really want the lightest and thinnest.

And instead of the i5 version id look into the Ryzen 5 3500U version of the vivobook, its a bargain at 699 cad.
https://www.newegg.ca/slate-gray-asu...82E16834235206
Why is there such a large price difference between the AMD and Intel version of the vivobook? Performance?

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer


mega_option101 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:47 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,028
Rep: 298 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Why is there such a large price difference between the AMD and Intel version of the vivobook? Performance?
Not sure tbh, from what I can tell the i5-8265U's CPU can in some cases be faster than the R5-3500U's, depends on the laptop its in.

But in terms of integrated graphics, the i5 is way slower than the R5-3500U.

So I don't think performance is why its cheaper, I think the R5 is probably just way cheaper to implement than the i5.
Gilles3000 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Not sure tbh, from what I can tell the i5-8265U's CPU can in some cases be faster than the R5-3500U's, depends on the laptop its in.

But in terms of integrated graphics, the i5 is way slower than the R5-3500U.

So I don't think performance is why its cheaper, I think the R5 is probably just way cheaper to implement than the i5.
I looked into the specifications a little more and it looks like the i5 uses a LI-PO battery; whereas, the R5 uses a LI-IO battery.

Either way, I like the price difference enough to consider the R5

Thank you!

+REP

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer


mega_option101 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:36 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,896
Rep: 337 (Unique: 240)
There is a lot that goes into choose a notebook/laptop, price is a big one as that will pretty much determine what features you can get at all. Sometimes there are nice and sturdy small laptops but not larger ones. 4k display? Touch screen? 100Hz+
Never buy one that has HDD unless you plan immediately replacing it with an SSD. While the HDD can survive in a laptop the overall performance will be horrendous without an SSD.

It's been a while since I checked laptops especially in person, last time I did most were weak soft bendy rubbish plastic where you typed on their keyboard and it bent down like crazy, which I did not like since my mid range 2006 laptop was sturdy in comparison.

I think you can say goodbye to replaceable batteries these day on most models since they use built in packs now to try and make laptops thinner for some reason and to make them obsolete sooner. At least they last longer nowadays thanks to more efficient but also not very fast CPUs/GPUs in mobile devices.

No problem with AMD CPU, APUs if they do offer them finally some decent laptops. Intel APUs = CPUs have unusable graphics really and need to be paired with an extra graphics if you plan on doing anything more than office.
JackCY is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Moderators
 
mega_option101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 23,432
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
There is a lot that goes into choose a notebook/laptop, price is a big one as that will pretty much determine what features you can get at all. Sometimes there are nice and sturdy small laptops but not larger ones. 4k display? Touch screen? 100Hz+
Never buy one that has HDD unless you plan immediately replacing it with an SSD. While the HDD can survive in a laptop the overall performance will be horrendous without an SSD.

It's been a while since I checked laptops especially in person, last time I did most were weak soft bendy rubbish plastic where you typed on their keyboard and it bent down like crazy, which I did not like since my mid range 2006 laptop was sturdy in comparison.

I think you can say goodbye to replaceable batteries these day on most models since they use built in packs now to try and make laptops thinner for some reason and to make them obsolete sooner. At least they last longer nowadays thanks to more efficient but also not very fast CPUs/GPUs in mobile devices.

No problem with AMD CPU, APUs if they do offer them finally some decent laptops. Intel APUs = CPUs have unusable graphics really and need to be paired with an extra graphics if you plan on doing anything more than office.
You bring up a lot of good points. I'll have to go to my local media expert here and see how they feel - I am no expert on ultrabooks either.

I only plan on using this for office related work.

Thanks for your input!

+REP

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer


mega_option101 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off