Upgrading RAM on an Asus G731GU Laptop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrading RAM on an Asus G731GU Laptop

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 675 (Unique: 477)
Upgrading RAM on an Asus G731GU Laptop

Has anyone gone through this process? The laptop comes standard with a single 16GB stick of DDR4 2666 RAM running in single channel mode.

From what I have read, adding a matching second stick not only increases RAM obviously but also enables dual channel support which provides a fairly significant performance boost.

On a side note, just picked this unit up and the 17" 144hz screen is excellent.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Figured it out myself. Turns out there were 2x8GB set up in dual channel (which is logical).

The RAM was using Hynix chips and was a pretty slow CL19 kit.

I picked up a set of Kingston HyperX this morning, a CL15 2x16GB kit and installed it without issue.

First impressions are that this is pretty damn fast... The IPS 144Hz screen is excellent with minimal BLB as well.

A couple of odd quirks; If you are taking it apart, the LED RGB strip that surrounds the base has two, tiny finicky ribbons attached to the motherboard to power and control it. Fortunately the RAM slots are easy to get at and I didn't even bother disconnecting them to swap out the RAM modules.

Also it has an M2 SSD which is a bit odd given the youtube disassembly videos I have seen show it with a standard 2.5" SSD. Nice obviously because the M2's are faster and I have a free 2.5" drive bay that I could connect another SSD or even a mechanical drive if I am so inclined.

Incidently, the drive is an Intel Intel SSDPEKNW512G8X1 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB. Pretty decent M2 drive for a midrange laptop.

The slim bezels are a must on laptops and this unit has no webcam (which is great because I only use them on my work laptop).

The right side of the laptop has no ports on it. One reviewer commented that this was a minor issue but I consider it a huge plus. I use the laptop on a laptop lap tray with a built in mouse pad on the right. If there were any wires or ports there, they would interfere with the mouse, so its actually a pretty good design feature.

The power plug is actually centered on the back of the laptop which is a bit odd but again you don't have to see a giant black wire spouting out of the side of your laptop during use.

the keyboard is great is terms of tactile response. I don't play FPS games any more, mostly tactical turn based stuff like Galciv 3 so I can't comment on ghosting or rollover on the keys.

I ended up going with the 1660Ti version (instead of the RTX2060) for a couple of reasons. First, the 1660Ti model was on sale and it was 300 bucks cheaper than the RTX2060 version. Given they are identical units except for GPU thats a pretty big bump to get ray tracing. Not to mention the 1660Ti is actually faster in some benches than the RTX2060.

Also in terms of heat and power, the Ti is much more power efficient and thus far the fans have rarely ramped up.

The only thing I do not like is that the power button lights up red and cannot be controlled via armory crate. That's fine if you have the keyboard set to red but if you have it another color, it contrasts.

Also because I don't play shooters any more, having contrasting WASD keys is a bit jarring and useless for me. Mind you, I understand that most people buying this unit would consider them a benefit. It would be nice if they included black replacement keys though.

Overall for the price, even factoring in the money I spent on the upgraded (and much faster) RAM, its a heck of a deal for what you get.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Robilar; 09-30-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Just updated to the newly released 0307 bios. It certainly changed the default fan profiles.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in