Pros/Cons of a test bench over a normal case? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Pros/Cons of a test bench over a normal case?

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20
Hello, recently I started thinking about making myself a test bench.

I am not a benchmarker or anything like that, I just prefer the looks of a test bench and I like the idea of having my hardware on display instead of it being hidden somewhere.

I also think this would be a fun little project and I like the idea of building it myself.

Now my question is, are there any advantages or disadvantages of using a bench instead of a case?

The obvious one is dust, but if I was to put a see through roof thing on top would that solve it?

My second concern is the airflow, whether it will be better or worse.

Thanks for the help smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 499
Have a look in this thread for some information: https://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/1040691-questions-test-bench-owners.html

Dust is going to happen no matter how you build it. Even fully enclosed cases get dust. Dust filters can only reduce the issue.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6
I ran my system on open air for a week while waiting for a case. It didn't seem to collect that much dust except for the stuff that normally settles on stationary items. Anything with a fan obviously collected much more, but I was surprised. I think it's totally viable as long as you clean it occasionally. Don't know if a roof is really needed either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107
I think there are overall more benefits using a case. I don't see how people can even consider using a testbench as a permanent solution; horrible to say the least. It's just the normal cheap/bad way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7412 go_quote.gif
SLI is great, during the summer months when it's really hot (I don't have AC) I can take one of my cards out and it greatly reduces the heat from my PSU and the extra video card
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46
Temps will not nessesairly be better than on a closed case because there will not be a push pull going on.

Well, for negatives..

1. Dust.
2. Dirt-Liquids may fall.
3. You will need a power button.
4. Loudness!
5. May get damaged more easily, by falling.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I think a test bench would be easier to hoover than a case, so that should solve the dust problem?

@Angelo, cant you push and pull in a test bench?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy;13868576 
I think there are overall more benefits using a case. I don't see how people can even consider using a testbench as a permanent solution; horrible to say the least.

Such as? Remember that others have different uses than yourself.

I designed my own tech station and had it built for me. I swap hardware enough and enjoy showing off my parts so I really like having them sitting on my desk. A quick blow of compressed air keeps the dust down perfectly. I get great temps and it makes it very easy to overclock as I have direct access to all my hardware.

If you have pets or small children, it can be a hazard, not so much for them as for your PC parts. Also, some people don't like to see their computer parts and prefer to have them inside a case.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I dont have any small children or pets.

My plan is to make out of acrylic, and putting on about a million cold cathodes lol.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97
I think it would be easier to clean, maybe dust would settle faster but it would be easier to blow out with canned air.

I might consider it when I do another build down the line.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1086
I'd prefer to have a sweet case than a tech bench but I can see the attraction...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in