Help PC System Heating Up Quickly ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Help PC System Heating Up Quickly ?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
I built my PC system about a year ago for the first 5 months it run very cool then I cleaned it using cans of compressed air as it had to much dust and was heating up very quickly but after cleaning it within 1 month there was dust again gathering and not a little bit but a lot.
Know my PC heats up within a hour of being turned on and so does my room
what can I do about this will water cooling help or should I get a different PC case ?
The current case which is a Cooler master Haf X gathers dust so quickly the airflow for the case is as follows:
2 Intake fans - 200mm Front Intake fan and 200mm Side Intake fan
2 outtake fans 140mm on the back and a 200mm outtake fan on the top I do have a option for fitting another 200mm outtake fan on the top should I put another 200mm fan on the top will this help with the heat ?
I wouldn’t mind the heat but it’s my room that really heats up as well cus of the system I no the graphics card I have does heat up very quickly aswell but my cpu temps also go up I have the following set up:
I7 950 Overclocked to 3.8Ghz, ( Idle Temps 44 to 46, Load Temps 68 to 70 )
Cpu Cooler: Noctua NH-D14,
Graphics card: Nvidia EVGA GTX 480
All the advise and help will be appreciated Thanks. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 751 (Unique: 667)
1. you need to use the default standard font
2. water cooling won't help any as you need just as many fans to dissipate the amount of heat that you have - your system will run cooler, but your room will be just as hot
3. try getting some filters, that way you don't have to clean out your whole system, just the filters
4. try cleaning your room of dust wink.gif If you have a lot of dust build up, it has to be sucking something in
5. try a fan controller, set the fans at a lower speed - your system will heat up a little bit more, but you won't have something sucking in all sorts of dust at high speeds
6. try turning around some of your fans so that they are exhausting instead of pulling in, that should help to eliminate dust as well.

Always check back as I frequently edit my post - while we all try to be perfect in the information given, I'm here to learn just as much as you are.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 501 (Unique: 391)
I have to clean the filters on my case at least once a week. When you force air to move in a certain direction it will inevitably carry the dust along with it. I highly suggest getting the custom DemciFlex filter kit for the HAF X. You just vacuum from time to time, or since the filters are easy to remove/install, you can run them under water to get them clean.
Keep in mind that no matter what fans or airflow configuration you have, if your ambient (room) temperatures are high, then your CPU/GPU/Mobo temps will also be high. The coolers can only cool so much. The higher the ambient temp, the harder it is for the coolers to keep up. They become less efficient at cooling.
For example, if your CPU loads at 50*C with an ambient temp of 20*C, if the ambient rises by 5* to 25*C, the CPU load temps will rise even higher than that, maybe 57-58*C (+7-8*C). I hope that makes sense.

Short Stuff
(20 items)
CPU
AMD Phenom II 945
Motherboard
Asus M5A97 R2.0
GPU
Asus HD 6570
RAM
4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaw
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black
Hard Drive
Samsung F3
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-203B
Power Supply
Seasonic SS560-KM
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12P
Case
CM 690 II
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Vizio E43-F1
Keyboard
Logitech K330
Mouse
Logitech M215
Mouse
Staples
Audio
Logitech Z506 5.1
Other
Motorola SB6141 Modem
Other
Netgear WNDR3700V3 Router
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
You know what you need to do? Either blast the A/C, turn on a fan to get some circulation in your room or open your room window and a window down the hallway to get a draft to pull the air out of your room. I had the same problem and there isn't really much of a solution if you plan on keeping the same system specs. You can only really change your external environment to address this issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in