Captivation - NZXT Switch 810 Build Log - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Captivation - NZXT Switch 810 Build Log

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Hi. Bought the NZXT Switch 810 about a month ago and caught a certain water cooling bug. I started out with just wanting to cool the CPU, then I wanted to cool a GPU and suddenly I had an SLI set up under water. I actually purchased the case with water cooling in mind. This is my first ever water cooling build.

System specs:
Asus P6T
Intel i7 920
2x EVGA GTX 480
6GB Kingston DDR1600 RAM
OCZ Vertex I 60GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Antec Truepower 750W Blue

Cooling:
XSPC Raystorm CPU block
2x Danger Den FC GTX 480 blocks
Swiftech MCP 655 w/ EK Top Rev. 2
Coolgate Triple 420 radiator w/ 6x Yate Loons Low Speed (1000rpm) in push/pull
XSPC RX240 radiator w/ 2x Noctua NF-P12 in push and 2x Antec Tricool (medium spd) in pull
FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V 250mm UV Blue Reservoir
Primochill UV blue tubing
Bitspower matte black compression fittings
3x Yate Loon Low Speed (1000rpm) UV Blue case fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Bear with me, I only have a Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone camera.

This is where it all started. Notice I still have a GTX 570 here.

Coolgate Triple 420 radiator. Huge.

Holes in the case didn't line up! Had to drill some extra holes.
Many 420 radiators have this issue. As far as I know only the Black Ice Stealth 420 has no issues with mounting.

More trouble! Since the radiator is so long there is no way I can fit a tube there, it would hit the PS/2 ports. I will have to use a 45 or 90 degree angled adaptor. With fans in push pull I will also have trouble fitting the 4-pin power connector to the mothorboard. I had to cut the latch of the connector, no problem really.

First part of the build. Notice the Danger Den reservoir. I will be using this until I receive the FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V. Also, still using the GTX 570.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

When I received these in the mail, I knew I could finally start the build. Thanks to Newegg I picked two of these up for only $420.

Actually, I wanted to test there cards first before I put them under water. I was waiting for the two Danger Den FC blocks anyways, that Microcenter had on sale for like $55 each. Sidenote: these cards are HOT, and VERY loud. I had no fun using these cards under these conditions. The noise was awful.

This is an older picture, but it highlights well what I need to do. One fan is completely blocked by the area marked in red. I will have to remove that. I had to purchase a Dremel 3000 for this.

Having never used a Dremel before, I am fairly satisfied with the result. Whoever advised me to get everything out of the case before modding, thanks. I wasn't sure why I had to do that, but after I started cutting through steel I instantly understood. Very awesome and powerful tool.

Since I purchased the Dremel I could finally mount the radiator properly. The previous drilled holes with a regular drill were off, and since the spacing was to small it was hard to drill an extra hole with the drill. No problem for the Dremel!

Finally, the radiator is properly mounted with 6x Yate Loon Low Speed fans. I like silence. My cat takes a sneak peak and approves.

The result of the removed steel for the fan. The fan is now clear and can actually suck in some air.

XSPC RX240 mounted with Noctua fans in push and Antec fans in pull. This was significantly easier than the top. No modifications needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Installed the power supply. Managing these cables will not be a fun task.

Installed one of the DD blocks onto my brand new GTX 480. Easier than I thought. Tedious, but easy.

Stripped one of the screws while trying to remove the stock cooler!

Since I did not want to drill the screw out, I decided to use JD Weld and glue a nut on the screw. This is the card before the surgery. It proved unsuccessful. I had to resort to drilling into a graphics card.

Success! After using a 1/16" bit and a 3/32" bit, I used a 1/8" bit to drill out the head of the screw. Scary stuff, but the card did not look physically damaged so I was good to continue.

Here I am testing the fans. It's very silent compared to the previous set up of two jet engines taking off whenever the cards reached 50C.

Suddenly everything is installed and I am testing the loop for leaks. They say 24 hours, but does anyone really test loops for that long?

I had seen enough after an hour. The next three pictures are the result of a two days of hard, but enjoyable work.

Very pleased with the results. It's pretty silent now. I like silence, hence why I have 9 YL low speed fans in the case. I have 4 NZXT 140mm fans that are doing nothing. I found them too noisy. In fact, the 120mm Noctua fans in the bottom are actually the noisiest right now.

Some temperature results:
Furmark temperatures were 95C and 93C with fans at 80% (jet engines) a few days ago. Now the cards maxed at 65C during a Furmark run with an ambient of 24C. Was expecting lower temperatures, but I am using low speed after all.

All that is left for this round, is waiting for the Liquid Fusion V reservoir, which is about 5-6cm longer than the DD res. Hopefully it will fit!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 115)
I have pretty much fallen in love with the Switch 810 and I love watching these builds. Unfortunately for me, I can't really purchase it because I can't afford to water cool my components, and I feel that if I have that case and I am not watercooling, then it is a complete waste of money. I'd love to see how yours turns out though!

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
-Buddha

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 52)
Nice build matey, I'm so looking forward to getting my switch 810. Gonna chuck a RX240 in the bottom of mine too, prob just do push or pull though, not sure yet.

I have Yate Loon fans also, however some say they don't like being mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically. Might be something to do with the bearing, I'm not sure, be interested to see how you get on with them mounted that way over the next month or so before I get my Switch.

+Rep for a great build!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah, sleeve bearing fans should not be mounted horizontally. But since they are 5$ fans, I figure it would suffice for now. If I decide to throw more money into this project, which I probably will, I might buy a fancy fan controller and some higher speed 140/120 mm fans so I can control them manually, or set fan profiles.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuhhhh View Post

I have pretty much fallen in love with the Switch 810 and I love watching these builds. Unfortunately for me, I can't really purchase it because I can't afford to water cool my components, and I feel that if I have that case and I am not watercooling, then it is a complete waste of money. I'd love to see how yours turns out though!

I'm in the same boat, but reverse of your situation. Fell in love with water cooling but not a good enough case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in