Corsair 550D Owners Club - Page 49 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair 550D Owners Club

post #481 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGamer View Post

The stock fan leads where long enough to reach the fan headers on the MB. I had to purchase extenders ($1.50 each x 2 for the front ones) when I replaced the fans with the Corsair's in the pictures.

Gotcha, thanks. I just picked up the case from MicroCenter today. I'll do the install later and see how loud the stock fans are. I'm most interested in a quiet case than I am in ultimate performance. Might get some Noctuas or something.

Where do you guys place your exhaust fan? Up top or in the rear? I'll be mounting an H55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
I would but it in the rear position if you are interested in it being quiet and directing the noise away from you. Alot depends on where you pc will be sitting in relationship to where you are sitting.

post #483 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM

I must say, this case is a pleasure to work on. My only complaint would be the length and thickness of the USB 3.0 cable...I found it to be a bit of a hassle to cooperate but I understand why. I could probably do a better job with the wires coming out of the PSU but I'll save that for another night. Overall I am pleased with this case, a definite step up from my aging Antec P183. Much quieter and significantly lighter as well. So far my temps are as expected for the H55 CPU cooler but I applied some AS5 so hopefully after some curing the temps will drop a tad, but otherwise, so far so good. Thanks to all who offered some insight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm thinking of replacing the stock fans with AF120 quiet edition and I'm wondering how you guys are configuring the airflow setup for this chassis.
I'm running H100i for my i7 3770k overclock to 4.2Ghz @ 1.2V

The setup I have in mind:
2x120 in front as intake
1x120 at the bottom as intake
1x140 at the rear as exhaust
and have the H100i as exhaust, though I've read the H100i is most efficient as an intake configuration I'm worried the single rear exhaust wont be enough.

I'm also running on the gtx690, will installing a 120 intake on the side panel possibly hinder an optimal airflow?

what do you guys think?

...Rage, rage against the dying of the light... Dylan Thomas
post #485 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaile View Post

The setup I have in mind:
2x120 in front as intake
1x120 at the bottom as intake
1x140 at the rear as exhaust
and have the H100i as exhaust, though I've read the H100i is most efficient as an intake configuration I'm worried the single rear exhaust wont be enough.

This setup looks good, except I would set the H100i to intake so you can have some airflow over your motherboard.

Also, I would consider some other fans. The AF120's are alright, but there are better fans out there.

post #486 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckie7 View Post

This setup looks good, except I would set the H100i to intake so you can have some airflow over your motherboard.

Also, I would consider some other fans. The AF120's are alright, but there are better fans out there.

I agree with the setup, I have a similar one. If you have a good local computerstore you can listen to the fans.
Don't know if you just want to go for airflow and don't mind color and noise.
Color and lowest noise is AF series, performance is SP series - but they make more noice.
Noctua is fugly but has the best fans for noise/airflow smile.gif
You also have some good Arctic Cooling fans smile.gif

I'm sticking to my Corsair fans <3
post #487 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks Snuckie and Jesibel!
I also heard really good things about Noctua, but I can get the Corsair at a discount with my reseller so I'll be giving the SPs and AFs a try. biggrin.gif

The setup thinking.gif :
2x AF120 Quiet Front Intake
1x AF120 Quiet Bottom Intake
1x AF120 Quiet Side Intake (for the 690)
1x AF140 Rear Exhaust
2x SP120 Quiet H100i Intake

I shall post the temperature results once I get these fans

...Rage, rage against the dying of the light... Dylan Thomas
post #488 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Let me know if the sound is bearable too and good luck thumb.gif
post #489 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGamer View Post

The stock fan leads where long enough to reach the fan headers on the MB. I had to purchase extenders ($1.50 each x 2 for the front ones) when I replaced the fans with the Corsair's in the pictures.

Where did you order your extensions and were they sleeved?
post #490 of 1026 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesibel View Post

Let me know if the sound is bearable too and good luck thumb.gif

Noise levels were of definite concern for me so I went with Noctua fans. Corsair recommends air intake as opposed to exhaust for their AIO's, and I found that intake does provide better results than exhaust in my case. I want as quiet a PC as possible so I refuse to remove the side panels. The noise difference, even with Noctua fans, is definitely noticeable. Plus I hate how the case looks without the side/top panels on.

I'm still tinkering with my fan setup right now but I have it set up rather untraditionally. I have two Noctua's in a push/pull setup in the rear with my rad as an intake, and one Noctua and one standard case fan set up in the front as exhaust. My 7950 sorta acts as an exhaust for any stubborn air at the bottom of the case I figure, lol. I removed the front panel since it impedes airflow, but with the front door closed, noise is still suppressed and the case looks clean. Temps hover around ~30 on idle, between 50-60 on load. Ambient temps in my office are around 70F. This will likely change in the summer time. If I go crossfire I'll also probably have to readjust for increased heat. So far so good.

The H55 AIO I have is less than impressive really. It's two best attributes are case cleanliness and low noise. I may just wind up going with a decent traditional HSF, and do intakes in the front and exhaust in the rear like normal someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in