[Official] NZXT Phantom 820 Case Club - Page 199 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Which Color do you prefer?
Gun Metal 87 30.63%
Gloss White 91 32.04%
Matte Black 106 37.32%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NZXT Phantom 820 Case Club

post #1981 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 94)
Quote: Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
1. Oh yeah I forgot about those fans! I do have two 120mm fans at the very bottom of the case blowing air up towards the top.
2. I also completely removed the lower drive bay partially to make room for the two 120 mm fans. All my drives are in the upper portion of the hard drive bays which leaves the lower portion open for better airflow. If you could I would highly suggest removing that lower bay and rearranging your drives so that the smaller SSDs are near the bottom and closer to the airflow. I have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs in that area along with a PCIe NVME drive (as my primary drive) in a PCIe slot.
3. I am not sure what you mean by; "Does having a Corsair Cooler fans facing downward sucking air up cause any issues towards the top fan facing downwards?". But if you are taking about a fan being either in the bottom blowing upwards or the inside fan blowing upwards then I would think it could cause issues with proper airflow. But at the same time it may actually create a better cooling environment, the only real way to tell is to try it out.
4. I would not suggest using a can of air on your system while it is up and running. When I do use a can of air in my system I shut it down just in case there is some kind of static discharge from any dust particles. I have filters at all the air intakes so as to reduce dust build up in my case and I also have good positive air flow in my case due to the 4 fans (1 80mm, 2 120mm, and 1 140mm) pulling air in so that helps to keep dust from sneaking in through the little cracks in the case.
5. I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace the case LEDs because I have never needed to do so in this case yet. There was a discussion about replacing the case LEDs in this thread some ways back, but I have no idea where.
6. I actually purchased the UV LEDs in my case from Amazon, They came as a 16ft LED strip which you can cut to size as you need. If you want to try this look on YouTube for videos on how to cut and LED strips to your computer. I am pretty sure you will find something on it.
7. Where is your cooler at now?
" I am not sure what you mean by; "Does having a Corsair Cooler fans facing downward sucking air up cause any issues towards the top fan facing downwards?". But if you are taking about a fan being either in the bottom blowing upwards or the inside fan blowing upwards then I would think it could cause issues with proper airflow. But at the same time it may actually create a better cooling environment, the only real way to tell is to try it out. :"

I meant the cooler fans that are sitting on my RAD. I was concerned if I was drawing air up through the case towards to the top of the fan and the top 200mm fans were facing down pushing air. Wouldn't that create an isolated air in my case? I did go ahead and switch the fans the opposite facing upwards instead so I can draw heat out of the case. I do admit that when it was facing downwards as default the way the NZXT case did. It created a huge cooling area in my case. It made my case and cpu temps LOW. I liked it. Not sure if it was good for the video card.

"Where is your cooler at now?" What you mean by this? My temps? My brand? I assume you say my temps? Well currently it's running at load temps around 53c to 69c That's because the room has the heat turned on recently. It usually hovers so low when the room is cold and especially at idle temps it goes below than 40c or lower. I barely ever go 70c and up at all. Just remember I am overclocked at 4.4ghz auto volts, not manual voltages. I am using a i5 3570k processor. Costa Rica. No Idea if I should dare get a i7 3770k so I can take advantage of the hyperthreading thing.

I am currently rocking the EVGA 1050Ti SSC 4gb from Best Buy. I don't like it because it's a weak ass card. I liked the EVGA 1060 TI SSC 6GB better but I think it might be too taxing for my system but I could be wrong because I have seen people who use the same specs on YouTube. I wondered how theirs are stable but I notice some of them aren't SSC versions. I think I will refuse to get cards from Best Buy from now. I learned my lesson. However, I wonder if a 1060 standard would do better? I just wanna be sure I can play modern games at the moment. I don't mind upgrading to the 4th generation but I don't think I can afford it but I extremely wanna save up for an 8th generation system. I just wanna catch up with everyone who is playing amazing games at maximum settings and enjoy framerates. I just want something to last long and hold back for the time being and save up. What is a good wise choice I can take and enjoy my gaming?

One more thing. I wonder why my games are starting to have textures popping up ahead of me? Is that normal for some games or is something degrading? It barely does that in Battlefield 1 but only a small fraction but most of my other games have it. Is it because modern games are so demanding or is this something else? I will have to upload videos so you can understand from my perceptive view.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz auto voltage. (Might switch to i7 3770K due to Hyperthreading options but dunno if need to.)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal case.
Motherboard: Sabertooth z77 Ivy Bridge
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB SSC version from Best Buy. (Switched to EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti SSC 4GB) <-- I know.. stupid idea. I wanna go back to the 1060Ti. Dunno if I have actually had bottlenecks but my games run great but I probably do slightly but the fps is great still. Could use some advice! I miss my 970 SSC 4GB card.
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (2012) <--Will consider a new SSD.
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)--bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) May consider a Seagate HD or WD Black HD since they are better for PC Gaming.
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) Maybe another WD Black HD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB (bought in 2013) I always wanted 32GB!
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyperthreading but I doubt I should.
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p 4ms (2014) <--very old! May want a new monitor but meh!
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit.

" I actually purchased the UV LEDs in my case from Amazon, They came as a 16ft LED strip which you can cut to size as you need. If you want to try this look on YouTube for videos on how to cut and LED strips to your computer. I am pretty sure you will find something on it. "

I'll look into YouTube about that. What brand UV LED brand did you buy from Amazon? Would like to look into it! Link me!

Thanks for reading man!

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : :

NZXT Phantom 820 Club[/CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 94)
I decided to switch back to the 1060 SSC 6GB card. It was much better than what I currently own.

My temps are fine so far. I wonder if I really should switch my fans back to default since I own a NZXT Phantom 820 case. The top 200mm fans are facing down but I have the Corsair h100iv2 radiator fans facing inward to draw air towards the top of the case even though the top fan is blowing downwards. I thought maybe I was creating some air isolation in my case. However I have a side fan 200mm and 140mm rear exhaust. The side is an intake and front which is 200mm. I have two 200mm fans on top as intake too but I figured it would be better if I switch them to exhaust since heat rises. However room temperatures can change things. It is VERY cooler in my case when I use the top 200mm fans facing downward. Dunno if it was a bad idea to have these fans facing towards the radiator since the intake fans are blowing up against the top 200mm fan fighting both ways and messing the airflow. But I never had temps issues at all. My temps are still bit same but much more warmer than before because I switched the two 200mm fans to exhaust. I wonder if I should switch them back so I can keep my case cooler? Of course heat rises and I would want it to exhaust. Do you think kind of airflow can disrupt the video card function? Since heat rises and the air is pushing towards from top of the fan and it goes back down due to the 200mm fan? Would that cause my video card heat up a bit? Even though I have a 140mm fan as exhaust that would extremely suck it out? Sorry if my grammar bad but I had a stressful day. Should I change it back the way the case fans were? I like it when I had cooler temps everywhere in my case. As long there's no isolated air pressure and heat build up. I could use some advice. I may consider smaller fans but I like the way they are.

DONATE IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN
: : The Official Corsair H50/H70/H100 Hydro Series Club : :

NZXT Phantom 820 Club[/CENTER]
post #1983 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is there any way I can fix the damn SQUEAK on my Front Panel door? It's been driving me crazy since I bought mine. I can't stand it anymore. Like seriously, NZXT. Quality Control, much?

A lubricant, perhaps? I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by Prenihility View Post
Is there any way I can fix the damn SQUEAK on my Front Panel door? It's been driving me crazy since I bought mine. I can't stand it anymore. Like seriously, NZXT. Quality Control, much?

A lubricant, perhaps? I have no idea.
A lubricant works fine. I used some Teflon lubricant a few years ago and my case door hasn't squeaked since.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #1985 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I'll look into YouTube about that. What brand UV LED brand did you buy from Amazon? Would like to look into it! Link me!

Thanks for reading man!
As far as cooling goes do what works best for your setup, aka whatever gives you lower temps. I'm not even sure why you would ask if you already know which way gets you the lower temps.

For the UV LED strips these 5050 LEDs will do the job. But if you want to look for something else make sure they are the 5050s cause the 3528s and lower numbers are no where near as bright.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #1986 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
A lubricant works fine. I used some Teflon lubricant a few years ago and my case door hasn't squeaked since.

Ugh, damn. Wish I had silicon oil.

Which oils/lubricants are particularly non-reactive to the Phantom 820's plastic?
post #1987 of 2009 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by Prenihility View Post
Ugh, damn. Wish I had silicon oil.

Which oils/lubricants are particularly non-reactive to the Phantom 820's plastic?
It doesn't really matter, I just recommend any Teflon type.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #1988 of 2009 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Welp. The Phantom 820 has officially been discontinued! Spoke to someone from NZXT, as well. Though this was a couple months ago. Curious to see what they will design as a replacement.

Also, just for the sake of nostalgia, i've been looking for an old ad for the 820. Featured the "Crafted Gaming Armor" marketing that NZXT used at the time featured a Poison Ivy-like fairy on the ads. I just want another taste of that glam from when the case was NEW new.
post #1989 of 2009 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Is he still around?!

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
Hey Phantom folks! I've got an 820 in my garage that's calling to me for some modding goodness. I have a lot of WCing gear (check the Silentium rig I have) to reuse, and my big question for you guys is: has anyone crammed at 480 rad in a Phantom 820? I've been looking for pics but haven't come up with anything yet.

I'm willing to sacrifice the top cage if need be. Hehe.

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

post #1990 of 2009 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Is he still around?!

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
Nevermind.

You know how you're getting old, when you ask questions who's answers are your OWN FREAKING BUILDLOGS... (https://www.overclock.net/forum/1808...l#post22057263)

I have put a 480 rad in my Phantom before I mothballed it for Silentium. I was just going through my old logs and noticed. Good grief, LOL.

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in