[Official] NZXT Phantom 820 Case Club - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Which Color do you prefer?
Gun Metal 86 30.50%
Gloss White 91 32.27%
Matte Black 105 37.23%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NZXT Phantom 820 Case Club

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1990 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 413)
Done and done smile.gif

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
Don't forget to Join us on FaceBook!
Follow us on Twitter @CaseLabsUSA
post #24 of 1990 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 676 (Unique: 347)
I'm a bit surprised that there's not much more activity in this thread, but I guess the price has had somewhat of a chilling effect.

Part of the problem as I see it, is that so many of the video reviews are of the darker toned offerings, and are very poorly lighted to the extent that you miss a lot of what's there to see, and hence don't see the true value and capabilities of the case.

The matte black ones come across as looking too much like old hot rods with nothing but primer coats.

I have a lot of NZXT case builds, and while I've had a love for the switch and phantom, the new 820 (from what I'd seen in reviews) had really left me on the fence.

I really couldn't get all that excited over the stock offerings, though I had the feeling that some customization could make it into a totally kickass platform.

It initially looked like they just added some lighting gimmickry and dropped some of the support for serious water cooling that the switch was well known for, ie: 420's up top.

Well, I ran across this video review today, and it changed my perspective almost 180 degrees.

They used a white 820 with very good lighting and I saw details that I never saw in other reviews.

I am now totally onboard with the new 820; almost all the performance friendly capabilities of the switch 810 , with most of the styling of the phantom that I'm really fond of . . . . Yea, this new phantom 820, (especially the white one) is totally kickass enabled right from the box.

At about 6:30, they give a nice view of the top with the mesh and slotted forward area, and it looks wayyy nicer with the white plastics and black mesh than when it's all simillarly dark colored.

At 7:43, you get some close up views of how the new lighting is built into the case, and it's wayyy better than I thought from seeing only dark cases reviewed.

At about 8:30, you can see a close up of the front "pedestal" and see that it doesn't seem to be nearly as restrictive to air flow as it usually looks.

Also at 8:39, you can see that it has 3 standoffs on each side to allow airflow thru from the sides as well.

I was impressed by the attention to detail there.

Additionally, at 10:00 you can see that they provisioned for using either 15mm or 20mm fan spacing rads on the bottom, where it was 15mm only in the switch . . . . . a nice feature if you want to use 280mm SR1's or GT-X's for example. (this was mentioned in the OC3D video review, but you can really see it well in this one)

Now the coolest part, and what to me had been sort of a deal breaker for the asking price, as I see it, starts at 11:47 where they zoom in on the upper rad mounting area.

The reviews I've seen, usually mention only 240's or 360's being accomodated up top, and this one only mentions 360's, but . . .

The 15mm fan spacing holes for top mounted 240's or 360's are clearly seen, but also clearly visible, are slots for using either 15mm or 20mm fan spacing 280's or 420's. . . . something not usually mentioned in the reviews, but visibly present in this one. (the OC3D review mentions 280's)

The optical drive cage assembly appears to be identical the switch 810's, so that exactly the same well known mods as the switch needs for installing 420's should work with the new 820.

The only down side, and not a huge one, seems to be the clearance between the rad mounting and the top of the mobo. The OC3D review puts it at 70mm, so you're limited to something no thicker than a UT45 if you want to go 420, since you'll need fans on the inside, as there seems not to be room at the front for a fan on top.

It looks overall, like there should be enough rad capacity internally, to handle an overclocked CPU and OC'd dual high end GPU's.

I'm gonna get me one, or maybe two . . .

Darlene

Edit to add:

Well drat!

From looking at a close up on XNine's buildlog, it appears that some serious modding to the front part of top deck would be required to fit a 420. There's not enough picture to tell if if it's still doable with enough modding, or a lost cause.

Help me out on this one, XNine, . . . can it be done?
post #25 of 1990 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retell View Post

http://store.nzxt.com thumb.gif

Thanks but it doesn't look like they ship to Canada. I'm out of luck. When will other retailers be getting it?
post #26 of 1990 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 67 (Unique: 52)
In about a week.

ex-NZXT. Product Development, Asetek Sales & Marketing ninja.gif
post #27 of 1990 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Good. I've got some hardware that needs to get set up.
post #28 of 1990 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

Edit to add:

Well drat!

From looking at a close up on XNine's buildlog, it appears that some serious modding to the front part of top deck would be required to fit a 420. There's not enough picture to tell if if it's still doable with enough modding, or a lost cause.

Help me out on this one, XNine, . . . can it be done?

The top would definitely need some significant modding for a 420 rad. The fan controller, Hue controller, power/reset and USB ports are all up top... you'd probably have to remove all of those to get the radiator up there.

Though, in a system like this, a 240 in the bottom and a 360 radiator would fit nicely, and would be enough to cool some serious loops. You could always do an external radiator mount as well. I've seen some real nice ones with the radiators on the mounted on the side panels.

CaseLabs
Media Machinist
post #29 of 1990 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 676 (Unique: 347)
I was thinking of using an XT45 in 420 size with 5 fans, foregoing the front one on the top which would be in the area of the USB & fan controller hardwares, which I'd want to keep intact.

An Asus Maximus V Extreme with a pair of Matrix 7970's would make a sweet build with a 420 and a 280 and everything under water.

Does it look possible? I'd hate to have to settle on a 360.

Darlene
post #30 of 1990 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

I was thinking of using an XT45 in 420 size with 5 fans, foregoing the front one on the top which would be in the area of the USB & fan controller hardwares, which I'd want to keep intact.

An Asus Maximus V Extreme with a pair of Matrix 7970's would make a sweet build with a 420 and a 280 and everything under water.

Does it look possible? I'd hate to have to settle on a 360.

Darlene

Again, I question the use of a 420 radiator. I've never personally gone with 420's as there's few cases out there that fully support such a large radiator, and to my knowledge, 360 radiators typically cool nearly as well, especially in a push/pull configuration when you're working with a large-loop setup. Coupled with a second radiator, such as a 240/280, you're cooling potential is going to be on par with having a 420 radiator in the same loop. Eventually all loops reach equilibrium in their temps, so the addition of that one 120 space on a 420 radiator isn't significant, if at all valuable.

There's a lot of great 360 rads to choose from, especially from EK, Phobya, Aquacomputer, XSPC, HWL....

CaseLabs
Media Machinist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in