Silverstone Grandia GD0X Owner's Club - Page 46 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Silverstone Grandia GD0X Owner's Club

post #451 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by txenakis View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by heb1001 View Post

Edit: Noctua C14S would leave you with 1 HDD bay: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...pc-gd09b-case/
Awesome thanks! hadnt seen that. So, it looks like the two best/easiest options are the air cooling with the C14S without a tp fan, or watercooling with a 240mm and an itx mobo. Of the two which one do you think will give me the best temps?

Thanks
Pretty sure the best CPU temps would be from modding the case and putting the 240 rad on the RHS 🙂. That way the rad gets fresh air and the flow rate is fairly high.

Of the two options you are interested in, it’s not obvious to me which would be best. The Noctua cooler would be well placed and would have the right fin orientation for the two 120 inlet fans right next to it and the airflow in that half of the case works well with the outlet 80mm fans at the back.

A 240 AIO ought to outperform the Noctua cooler but positioned in the middle of the case it’ll be harder to get fresh air to it. You might have to experiment with different fan directions to get the best performance. Maybe try airflow from right to left through the rad in the middle.

You need a shortish PSU to fit a 120 fan on the LHS of the case. Also that area tends to fill up with cable clutter which blocks airflow through the middle of the case.

If you are not overclocking and not modding the case I think both options will work and it depends on whether you want an ATX motherboard and lose the drive bays or ITX and keep the bays. You can get 2 HDDs, 4 SSDs and a slot loading slimline optical drive in that area with the adapter bay from Silverstone. You’d lose that capability with the big air cooler there.

You could try the ITX option with the rad in the middle and if it didn’t work well enough mod the case and put the rad on the RHS. If you end up doing that though you’d have been better off deciding to mod the case up-front and getting an ATX board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks again for all this super useful info, I really appreciate it. I've thought about what you say and, given that I don't have any need for a DVD drive or hard drive, I might try the Noctua cooler first to see what happens. I'll also get low profile RAM and also a SFX PSU to give more clearance to the fan in the back of the case. I think that might get me decent results, especially with no overclock. If not then I'll try the AIO cooler.

Now the last question I have is how to orient the case fans, should they all be pulling air out of the case, or should some of them be pushing air in?
post #453 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by txenakis View Post
Thanks again for all this super useful info, I really appreciate it. I've thought about what you say and, given that I don't have any need for a DVD drive or hard drive, I might try the Noctua cooler first to see what happens. I'll also get low profile RAM and also a SFX PSU to give more clearance to the fan in the back of the case. I think that might get me decent results, especially with no overclock. If not then I'll try the AIO cooler.

Now the last question I have is how to orient the case fans, should they all be pulling air out of the case, or should some of them be pushing air in?
I think the case is designed to have the 3 left and right fans as inlet and the air to exit everywhere else, mainly at the rear via the two 80mm fans but also through the GPU out the back of the PCIe slots and through a vent directly over the top of the hot end of the GPU.

With the air cooler you should first try with the 3 120s as inlets and with the left one of the two 80mm fans as an outlet. I didn’t find the second 80mm particularly useful without making a baffle (I tried it in the GD05) as it just pulls cool air around the corner from the nearby 120.

Blower GPUs are definitely better for case temps in this case. The second 80mm exit fan may be more useful if you don’t have a blower perhaps.

I’m not sure what a SFX PSU will do to the airflow. The case is designed for an ATX PSU to get its own air from the LHS and to be independent. You will need to buy an adapter to mount the SFX PSU. If you use it to put the PSU fan facing left up against the air intake that will be similar to the intended config for ATX PSUs but there will be a gap where the SFX is smaller than the ATX letting air out the LHS. You might want to seal that gap.

The cable run for the motherboard power goes around the front of the case and is quite long. I think SFX PSU cables will be too short to reach. I’m pretty sure SF600 cables will be too short. It may be better to go with a short ATX PSU. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find one which will not obstruct the left fan position.

Hope it works out well for you. Don’t forget to post some pics and case temps when you are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks a mil. Will post pics soon!
post #455 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
I'm the original thread creator, and I no longer own this case. There is a lot of potential with this case, I even made some crazy mods to the case back in this past to get watercooling in here. I am surprised that Silverstone hasn't done much with this line.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/20564365-post79.html
post #456 of 467 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I bought GD09, it's very nice overall, sturdy construction, good steel etc, but one liitle problem with my case is not have perfect high between front plastic panel and top cover, I mean front plastic panel is not probably perfect straight.

Here's how it look

How's your cases ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_09251533.png
Views:	302
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	317970  

Last edited by PeterMac; 01-11-2020 at 01:49 AM.
post #457 of 467 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here is my build on GD09

I also added magnetic dust filter set from DemciFlex
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	323736  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	323738  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	703.8 KB
ID:	323740  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	772.8 KB
ID:	323742  

Name:	20200206_165313.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	325536  

Name:	left filters.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	325538  

Name:	right filter.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	325540  

Name:	top filter.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	325542  

Name:	top2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	325544  

Last edited by PeterMac; 02-08-2020 at 06:10 PM.
post #458 of 467 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 05:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by PeterMac View Post
Here is my build on GD09

I also added magnetic dust filter set from DemciFlex
The front panel and top panel gap looks OK in those pictures. Did you fix it somehow?

I would have gone with the new black noctuas. I guess you must be one of those people that like the original color.

I have some brown NFA20 200mm fans in one of my builds which I bought a few months before Noctua released black versions. I’m desperate to swap them for black ones but they are pretty expensive and it’s hard to justify that just to change the color.
post #459 of 467 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

I leave it as it is, it's not bad at all, but not perfect, I saw another one case, and also was similar as my.

Exactly I like Noctua stock colors very much , something different in look than total black fans.
post #460 of 467 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hello all,

Ok bought the following and now finding the stock cooler very noisy when 4K x265 encoding:

Grandia GD09
Gigabyte Z490M UD
i5 10400 (Stock)
Gigabyte mini itx oc GTX1650
Corsair LPX 3000 ram
Earth watts 380 psu

The setup is for encoding and playing 4K HDR. Most of it is quiet, though the gpu runs its fan all the time whereas the 1060 in another rig when not gaming stops its fans. Anyway when maxing the cpu it sounds like a small tornado. Had this issue with the gaming rig and fitted a cooler master 212 evo. Obviously can’t fit that in this case.

I’m using the optical bay for a BD writer and both 3.5” hdd bays. So what are my options?

Tried a noctua L12S and it hits the hdd under the optical bay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in