Silverstone Grandia GD0X Owner's Club - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Silverstone Grandia GD0X Owner's Club

post #71 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally001 View Post

Thanks for the Lian Li thread. Interesting to see what folks will do with their toys smile.gif

I will need a few days to consider the comments/issues/problems/work-arounds/customization etc that you, Capt Zombie, Sascha and others have provided regarding your builds. I guess I'm not sure I really want to start cutting up the GD08 front face and doing some of the custom stuff you guys have had to do thus far. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I want a clean, no-bling front like these cases were designed with. I don't mind cutting a drive cage or doing other out-of-site mods, but cutting the front up doesn't appeal to me.

I bought the Zalman LQ-310 cooler because I got a very good deal on it, not that I NEEDED to have it biggrin.gif. I currently have 3 Silverstone cases in my possesion; an LC13 that is in my A/V rack right now, an LC16 that I bought years ago that is in use as my daily driver pc, and an LC20 which is currently empty. I like them all but dearly want 120mm fan openings....

My idea (up until I started reading these threads) was to buy a new case and transplant my LC13 components into it and add the Zalman cooler. That pc houses an Asus ATX board, AMD Phenom 4 core CPU, 4x4gb Corsair RAM, an EVGA GTX460 (with external exhaust), a Corsair TX650 PSU and a Blu-Ray drive. CPU cooling is by an Scythe Big Shuriken RevB. A 2.5" SSD, 2-2TB WD Green's and 1-1TB WD Green are also stuffed inside. Temperatures are decent (can't recall exact info ATM). It is set up to game, but I normally use my PS3 instead so temps aren't a big issue normally.

I have a Noctua NHL-12 in my daily driver pc (LC16 case), and I must say it is very quiet indeed. It's cooling an E2160 CPU that I have overclocked to 2.8ghx and it maintains temps below 58c even while running prime95. The fans are really quiet too. I got two of those Noctua coolers for $33 each and have the 2nd one still unused waiting for another project.

Capt Zombie; it is difficult for me to add any valid comments on your mock-up. I'm a "hands-on" kinda guy and without having a GD08 myself it makes my thoughts somewhat meaningless. I can see what you're going for, but have to wonder if cutting doing all those custom mods (especially the proposed face plate cuts) are sort of defeating the purpose of that case. Just thinkin' out loud so bear with me. Personally, I wouldn't want the fans/grills on the front 'cuz the case will start to look to "busy" and you'll lose the plain, clean look intended by Silverstone.

Pally, thanks for your thoughts. This is what I'm looking for, honest opinions. I decided this morning I am not going to be create a new front panel. I will be going with the first mock, where I build a new wall halfway between the 120mm slots on the bottom. There will be about a 1/2 inch room then between the fans in the front and the panel before the face. This way I am not screwing up the nice looking front panel. The two fans will be up right on the new wall I build sucking fresh air from the bottom grills. Going this route allows me to place the front panel back on without any modification to it.

I hope to stop at Menards after work to pick up a piece of solid wood to try this with, which then I would paint black to match the interior case. If this goes over well, then the next thing will be picking up a dremmel to cut a window for the top panel. I really like a few of the top panels that I have seen for the Grandia cases where a window was put into its place.

I was going to go the air cooler route with Noctua but once going water cooling, I can't believe how low I can get the temps on my i5 2500k when under water. I have a hard time going back to air cooling.

Check this out, I spoke to the modder of this Silverstone case and he was getting good airflow with what he did to this case. https://www.overclock.net/t/1265000/build-log-diablo-3-themed-htpc-final-high-res-pictures/0_40. If I can accomplish what I need with the GD08, I'll be returning the awesome 350D and sticking with this. I think by adding that new wall or divide for the case fans and water cooler it will work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Wow. That was a lot of work for that fella and the LC17. Looks pretty nice though, and the relatively "stock" outward appearance of the case impresses me most. Seeing those pics only reaffirmed my belief that cutting/modding the front of your GD08 is not the best road to travel, Capt Zombie. I'd try hard to not do that if it were me.

I'm tempted to do a similar approach with my LC13 case and Zalman cooler. Inside-case modding doesn't worry me too much, and I already have most of what I'd need. I like the 120mm fan he installed on the PSU side of that LC17 case a lot too. Looked really clean when he was done with it. I might do that too. Decisions, decisions....
post #73 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Wow. That was a lot of work for that fella and the LC17. Looks pretty nice though, and the relatively "stock" outward appearance of the case impresses me most. Seeing those pics only reaffirmed my belief that cutting/modding the front of your GD08 is not the best road to travel, Capt Zombie. I'd try hard to not do that if it were me.

I'm tempted to do a similar approach with my LC13 case and Zalman cooler. Inside-case modding doesn't worry me too much, and I already have most of what I'd need. I like the 120mm fan he installed on the PSU side of that LC17 case a lot too. Looked really clean when he was done with it. I might do that too. Decisions, decisions....

Considering that you already have a similar case as he does, making some of those mods might not be a bad thing for you.

Is the Zalman cooler the one component you want to get into the system?

I'm not going to mess with the front plate at all. I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow on my way from work to get myself some 1/2 inch oak and a 4 1/2 inch hole saw. I am going to just to build a section in the front for a rad. I was even considering getting some sheet metal, my only issue is that I do not have a machine to bend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

You could always take your sheet metal to your local high school and maybe the shop teacher would allow you to use one of their tin benders. I bet that would work for you. However, having a piece of oak inside your HTPC might be nice too; wood smell and all....

Ya that Zalman is the one thing I'd want to jam into my LC13 case. I need to keep space for two 3 1/2" drives and 1 SSD for sure as well, and I think I'd lose room for my optical drive. No biggie on the optical though as I hardly use it and could always use a different pc to rip disks etc.
post #75 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

You could always take your sheet metal to your local high school and maybe the shop teacher would allow you to use one of their tin benders. I bet that would work for you. However, having a piece of oak inside your HTPC might be nice too; wood smell and all....

Ya that Zalman is the one thing I'd want to jam into my LC13 case. I need to keep space for two 3 1/2" drives and 1 SSD for sure as well, and I think I'd lose room for my optical drive. No biggie on the optical though as I hardly use it and could always use a different pc to rip disks etc.

I never even thought of doing that and going to the local high school to see if the shop teacher would allow me to use their tin benders. I do agree, the piece of oak would be better since it would also provide much better support than me trying to bend metal that might not even turn out right. I will get a jigsaw today to cut the wood. I found a 240mm radiator template online that I can use to mark the wood with.

I don't even use my optical drive since I bought this case. There were a few times where I wish I had it, but it is not anything that I miss. I d/l all my games via Steam so an optical drive doesn't do me much. If I needed to use the optical for an emergency, I can plug it in real quick externally to do what I needed.

I think Silverstone and Corsair make some of the best quality cases, just wish we had a HTPC rig that also allowed for water cooling. The market is heading in that direction.
post #76 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

I've never owned a Corsair case but have heard great things about them, and I have used numerous Corsair power supplies and quite a few sticks of their RAM and it's all treated me very well. I like Silverstone's products for sure, and up until the GD08 came around, they were very reasonably priced too. That GD08 is probably worth it though. I've got an ad going on the local buy-and-sell so maybe I'll be able to get one for cheap. That's a fairly specialized case though, so I won't hold my breath on getting a used one.

I've decided that I'm going to do some modding to my LC13 case like that fellow in the other thread. It'll be a fun project to do, and I'm optimistic I can get similar results as that guy did. I look forward to seeing pics of your oak mod, Capt Zombie. I hope it works out for you and maybe you'll give me some ideas for my mods. Oak is solid enough and also relatively easy to work with so I like your chances thumb.gif
post #77 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I've never owned a Corsair case but have heard great things about them, and I have used numerous Corsair power supplies and quite a few sticks of their RAM and it's all treated me very well. I like Silverstone's products for sure, and up until the GD08 came around, they were very reasonably priced too. That GD08 is probably worth it though. I've got an ad going on the local buy-and-sell so maybe I'll be able to get one for cheap. That's a fairly specialized case though, so I won't hold my breath on getting a used one.

I've decided that I'm going to do some modding to my LC13 case like that fellow in the other thread. It'll be a fun project to do, and I'm optimistic I can get similar results as that guy did. I look forward to seeing pics of your oak mod, Capt Zombie. I hope it works out for you and maybe you'll give me some ideas for my mods. Oak is solid enough and also relatively easy to work with so I like your chances thumb.gif

I tried the oak, had to go with 1/2 inch and it cracked in half on once piece even with me pre-drilling holes in it. I probably should of just stuck with the sheet metal, I could of just bent it much easier with a 2x4 on my bench than messing with the wood.

Not sure how much more time I want to invest in keep messing around with this crazy mod. I measured things out better with the 1/2 inch piece of wood and it starts to get rather tight.
post #78 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This is where I am at as of this morning.......trying out a new piece of wood here. This might actually work here with what I've done so far.

I just need to cut out this piece of wood now and once I cut the holes out for the fans, I will assemble the system back in here so this way I can test temperatures. If I see that the wood is holding up, I can unscrew it and paint it.

post #79 of 467 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Woohooooo mission accomplished...............I have everything setup and the system has been running the last hour with no issues so far. I just need to figure out how I am going to power the rear 80mm fans, I have run out of motherboard fan connectors. Everything is pretty much setup on Y splitters with 2 fans to each fan header on the mobo.

My next project, to figure out how I can get some kind of fan controller in here, add a window on the top, and last but not least...........color that darn wood black. I'm also kicking an idea around of possibly drilling additional holes to the bottom of the chassis for either cable management or being able use twist ties for the cables that are under the motherboard.

The HDD's in the corner are about 31 and 34 degrees. I am going to probably mount a small fan in that area somehow.

post #80 of 467 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Like to add this latest build that a fellow OCN member did in the GD07 with water cooling, quite cool.

[Build Log] Liquid cooled SilverStone GD07

It's my almost first message and first thread/build log at Overclock or any forum about computer hardware fetishism smile.gif
At first I want to let you know what English language is not my primary language and I was not a good student.
And second thing I must share with you - I do not think I am handyman (at least for now) and many things in this build I not satisfied with. But it's took much time (I order things three times before i complete it and every deliver took 7-10 days) and at final phase it was more interesting for me to see it work and to understand was it enough for my objectives (powerful and silent HTPC). So I can say what cable management looks ugly.

This build I want to show you was made at spring 2013, but only today I crush laziness and upload and select right pictures from all I made.

Idea of this build was to make powerful enough gaming rig for my wife (she playing some MMO) and silent HTPC in same time. Because I sleep in same room with this computer while it playing something at TV. All the time my wife use TV as her display, so her PC was wrapped into Silverstone HTPC case under TV and I decide to not change it.

I didn't order a lot of new hardware for this build, because after my upgrade I have such things left:
2x6950 (one still was at her PC and one was available from my old build)
i5-2500k
2x256Gb SSD

And this liquid cooling components I did order for this build:
EK Dual D5 top (one loop)
Two D5
EK CPU waterblock
Two Watercool Universal GPU blocks with VRM DIY
Two XSPC EX radiators 240 and 360
Five Noiseblocker eLoop 120mm, 1200rpm fans
Pair Noiseblocker PC-P 80mm, PWM slim fans
Bitspower 150mm reservoir
13/10 fittings

I spend few weeks (nights after done with job thingies) while google search something like "liquid cooled htpc" "Silverstone gd07 liquid cooled" etc to get any concept or example, but was not too lucky. Maybe I miss something, but didn't find any GD07/08 liquid cooled builds at all.
In same time my friend, who in touch with liquid cooling, told me something like "take Caselabs and do it, do not take consumer cases, because it's sucks for liquid cooling", but I answer him "I need desktop case, I see no such from Caselabs". His final words was like "ok, do as you want, but you will get most painful sex in your life" smile.gif
Now I can say two things - my opinion - his was right, and second thing - Silverstone GD07 may be not bad at all liquid cooled HTPC case if they just add 1cm depth, 1cm width and maybe 1cm height, but only first two centimeters give huge advantage.

Ok, now "why I chose this case":
In my objective was only two cases, GD07 and GD08, because both have 3x120mm holes at bottom and 2x120mm at side. Yes, it was very tempting. And one more thing I can tell about my self with this build: my rule was not "count at first and cut after" I use rule "ok, I'll cut first and we will se how it's work" smile.gif So from both models I decide to take GD07, here is it:

Picture is not my, but I do not bother to make a shot of unpacked my.

Ok. I think I have nothing more to say in prelude and I continue with "picture->comment" style.

My order arrive:

On next picture you can see strange 7750 Radeon's, but I didn't use it for build, I just bought it to have some replacement while I remove wife's 6950 from her PC and second one... just to have it.

At first I fit radiators to see how it will be in real world (outside of my fantasies)

At first sight you may think what it's fit, but not. Yes, it's looks ok, but 240mm do not fit mounting holes at side it was some higher and was not mounted, was just blocked by 360mm and back side. Handyman can do something, Also I understand what I will have trouble with front panel USB and buttons, because space between bottom radiator mounting and front panel is not enough for it. And I will unable to keep it as is. But I decide to keep this issue for myself, but not current one, future me who will need to solve it by any way smile.gif
I decide to keep things as much default as I can. Later I wear my mobo with waterblocks, nothing exceptional:

I put mobo inside to see how it will be:

it's bad point of view, but here I understand what I can't install fans inside, because mosfet water block prevent me from installing right fan and EPS cable can make me some troubles with left fan.
At that moment I decide what I will put 240mm outside, because I will use standard holes at side of case and just put fans inside. I will need to drill only two holes for fittings.

In same time I got two water blocks for my VGA card. As I was a guy who didn't plan to go liquid then I bought my 6950's - it was "just a random ones" and it was MSI TwinFrozr III (not II, III) and it was VGA card with no full cover for it frown.gif (EK 7870 was compatible with TwinFrozr II as I know, but not with III). So I found only one way - Watercool universal Heatkiller GPU + DYI VRM waterblock. I didn't pictured mine before cutting it, but it's looks like this:

At first sight it's looks this way:

So, it's visible what not only copper plate need cut, even accetal top need to become thinner. I decide what I must become a man and took Dremel from relative and did it! smile.gif

Yes, it's not looks so pretty, but I has no idea how to polish back accetal (and even If I know how - I was not ready to spend even hour for this, at least this time, sorry. at least leak test goes fine with it)
Final VGA shots:

VRM block fittings of right card almost touch metal contacts at left card, but just almost...

And one word about sex promised by my friend:

Hehe... its took some times and make my fingertips a bit pink smile.gif
Yes, I can imagine what it's easy to do with awesome Bitspower fittings, but I goes EK ones, because it was hard to imagine what one fittings may be so much expensive with other and WHY?
Probably now I can imagine HOW and WHY, but I will become acquainted with Bitspower in my next build, I promise.

So time is come to make some recomposition and understand what to do next. (remember I said: "ok, I'll cut first and we will se how it's work").

Two reservoirs next to PSU at some pictures was need just to support VGA link, because it was not mounted at that moment.
Things I understand after:
1. I can't keep reservoir inside.
2. I fail with current position of EK top, because it's really block my PSU. And as I real man - at first I drill holes at case bottom to mount top there and after it I understand what I will be unable to drop PSU cables there ;-)

Before start crying about cables I do my second "real man" thing, drilled holes for fittings:

Now I can mount 240mm radiator outside.
And about EK top mounting and PSU conflict:

I even decide what I can do my best and pull PSU a bit outside from case and even order and get Lian Li thingy:

But after I carefully check chassis I decide what I will break chassis in best case. Because chassis frame from rear side is too thin.

Also I must say, what GD07 stiffening plate (at least I think what it's stiffening plate, because without it installed case is a bit "liquid") contain mounting space for all 5.25 drives, 3.5 hdd and two additional 5.25 drives is too long and with it installed you can't use 25mm fans at bottom. So I demount all possible racks and now no drives can be installed instead of pair 2.5" SSD, but it was as planned.
Ok, my next move was to change position of EK top and I mount it upside to stiffening plate:

But same friend and some google searches told me what it's highly NOT recommended to install pumps upside down.
So, I took Bitspower 120mm mounting for their reservoir and mount EK top at fan. It's took few try's while I change different washers, because I need to balance between fan blades from bottom and stiffening plate from top. Done now:

According to my photo gallery - I do not made many pictures close to final phase and I probably have nothing else to say, I will just show up some pictures. As I told you - cable management looks ugly, but in real life with real eyes it's not so horrible, because I try to hide most cables under stiffening plate.

Front panel cables and buttons really make me a trouble so I must move 360mm radiator a bit closer to motherboard. Sure it's break all mounting beauty, because this time I just mount radiator thru holes I can, instead of this:

But it was doesn't matter for me. I want to install Windows, check stability and temps.
It was really nice part also. Because I use 1200rpm Noiseblocker eLoops and none of it work with 12V. 4pcs was at 7V and 1pcs at 5V. So this computer was VERY QUIET.
I run Prime95 (with more FPU, less memory) and Furmark simultaneously and after hour CPU was around 56C, GPU also around 56C. I didn't overclock anything, because my task was to get it quiet and I think CrossFire 6950 is pretty enough for games my wife playing 1080p. But I try and flash custom BIOS my VGA cards, because found what high chance to unlock 6950 FrozrIII into 6970. Clocking limit was moved up, as promised, but it's not unlock frown.gif Anyway, it was an possible option, not a task. So it's ok.

Ok, and for last words just to show how it's work and why desktop case only:

In real I made this photo before build, because now GD07 stay at left and LC20 stay at right. And yes, it's a bit technical shot, because all that cables do not lay there all the time smile.gif

My findings and thoughts:
1. This case may be more interesting for liquid cooling if it get 10mm in every dimension as I told. But I am sure it will not happen. But if it really may occur, I ask you, magical fairy, could you please also add some steel, because case must be more strong and less "liquid".
2. If CaseLabs ever produce desktop chassis - I will get it and wife get instant upgrade (against her will, as usual)
3. If I decide to upgrade this PC or just will want to change something I will take Watercool HTF4 with External Set. And also will be a reason to turn on second D5 (for now I use only one at ..... at 3 speed... not sure, but I think 3, not 4)
4. My fingers cry me to try Bitspower next time.
5. Liquid cooling is awesome, except of "building something" you also occupy your brain with many thoughts for long time. I have some experience in past. My first liquid cooler was Aucma Cool River around maybe 8-10 years ago. Next was Koolance preinstalled into Chieftec chassis. I remember as I was bleeding from the ears, because chassis stay at my table and pump vibration...... uh... I demount it and use sponge to avoid it. But I do not like it, I like everything being mounted.

Since I already wrote a wall of text here I think it's will be ok if I tell few more words:
What next.
I was 1 step from buying components for my current computer and make second build. It was my TJ07 and 480mm EK XTX, my i7-3820 and HD 7990. I also already have water block for this 7990. Second 7990 for QuadFire was already reserved at shop, but almost in last minute my liquid cooling the disease has progressed and I change everything. I finally decide to change my flags (bye AMD, hello NVidia). New plan is to build something more awesome:
i7-4960X (arriving next weekend)
Tri-Way GTX780 (arriving tomorrow)
ASRock X79 Extreme11 (arrive in two weeks I think)
CaseLabs - still can't 100% decide. But I think it's will be T10 with extended top and pedestal. Or M8/M10 with same options. Small chance about MH/TH10 because it's too deep and will looks too big for my table and ruin view of my room. But I guess CaseLabs order will be a bit later, in Nov, because I have some custom deal with Watercool and next bill I pay will be from them. So I think I start building something in December, or even for New Year holidays. But I'm looking forward to it.

I planning to play with sleeving, but guess no paint work. Also I want Aquaero 6 LT, but I see it's not announced yet. I do not need display. (in real if I get any 5.25 external device I will need to paint it into case color, but case will be painted with "factory black matte" by CaseLabs, so I am not sure I will be able to find same color, so I do not want anything to paint smile.gif)
But 12 PWM lanes it's AWESOME. Like I waiting for it whole my life smile.gif

Sorry for my English and I hope you enjoy a bit this reading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in