Corsair 350D Owners Club - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair 350D Owners Club

post #21 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtbr View Post

FYI - a Gigabyte Sniper m5 and a H110 will not fit in this case. I have a Gigabyte Sniper M5 and a H100i, and this fits great.

Could you please elaborate? Is this a result of the sniper motherboard or the 350D?

My build is going to include the H110 and the Asus Maximus V Gene. I was under the impression the H110 would fit without issues in this case (https://www.overclock.net/t/1397341/build-log-ged-corsair-350d-h110-the-red-mod).

Work in Progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Water Cooler

Rep: 53 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candurin View Post

What's my best fan setup (rad fan push/pull is not an option due to space constraints)?

1. 2 front intakes, 2 top intakes (top fans push through rad [fans above rad]), rear exhaust - 4 intakes, 1 exhaust
2. 2 front intakes, 2 top intakes (top fans pull through rad [fans below rad]), rear exhaust - 4 intakes, 1 exhaust
3. 2 front intakes, 2 top exhausts (top fans push through rad [fans below rad]), rear intake - 3 intakes, 2 exhausts
4. 2 front intakes, 2 top exhausts (top fans pull through rad [fans above rad]), rear intake - 3 intakes, 2 exhausts
5. Another configuration (ideas?).

Assembly starts when I get back in 2 weeks... I'm replacing my p5q deluxe/q9550 build from 2009.

Thanks in advance!

I am waiting on my last few components (i5-4670K, Corsair H100i, and EVGA GTX 770 SC) to begin my build, and am also trying to plan my approach for the rig's cooling. I want to try and minimize noise and maximize cooling and airflow to the GPU and radiator. I made sure to order mostly PWM fans (with the exception of the rear exhaust/intake) so I can set the system to adjust case cooling as the internal and ambient temps change. I got two 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWMs for the front, two Corsair SP120 PWMs (high performance) for the radiator, and a single AF120 (3 pin) for the rear. I want to bypass the Corsair Link software and instead connect all the fans to my Asus Gryphon MB's 4 pin fan headers. This way I can consolidate fan control to either BIOS, or the Thermal Radar software that comes with the TUF series boards.

I am leaning towards either option 3 or 4, because either will provide good balanced airflow. Option 3 will probably look better (and it seems to be a popular option in the build photos), but it will require removal of the fans to clean the dust that will gather between them and radiator periodically. Option 4 will make cleaning a bit easier because any dust will stick to the bottom of the rad allowing easy access, though your fans won't be visible.

I have read that the Corsair manual recommends that you pull in cool air from outside the case, but in this particular case I tend to disagree. As long as you are providing the rad cool air with the other 3 fans, this will actually preform better because it won't introduce warm air into the system that has been dissipated by the radiator. As for push vs pull on the rad there are different theories as to which is better. IMO if local airflow is the same with either setup (push or pull) then performance should be almost the same with both. So if you are conscientious of the look then go with option 3, but if you don't want to have to take the fans off to clean the rad then go with option 4. I am probably going to go with option 3 and just dismount the fans when the rad needs cleaning. I spent a bit extra on the corsair fans, so I might as well be able to see them I figure wink.gif

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it" -Master Oogway
post #23 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Admittedly, I purchased the windowless case (yeah, the $70 after rebate sold me). My PC sits below my desk anyway.

I'm definitely leaning towards the exhaust rad with fans below. As I'll have filters on everything (included the rear as an INTAKE fan), Dust should be minimal. Should also make it easier to mount.

My only concern now is if my H110 will fit! I've seen some threads saying yes and then a few posts ago in this thread, someone mentioned it won't.

I've got an NH-D14 and the H110. Whichever fits better and runs everything cooler will stay, the other gets returned to Amazon.

Work in Progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 49)
Quote:

Could you please elaborate? Is this a result of the sniper motherboard or the 350D?

My build is going to include the H110 and the Asus Maximus V Gene. I was under the impression the H110 would fit without issues in this case (https://www.overclock.net/t/1397341/build-log-ged-corsair-350d-h110-the-red-mod).

It is difficult to say, but my guess, its the dimensions of the motherboard or the aftermarket fans I am using. My issue was that I couldn't plug in the 8 pin power connector without the fan hitting the cable. But, I was using non-stock fans, so that may have something to do with it as well. I needed about 1-2 mm more clearance then I would have been golden. There was nothing I could do in terms of re-positioning, etc...In the end, I just returned the H110 and got a H100i, it was much easier to fit smile.gif

The Anti My Little Pony: Fruitcake Fanclub!
post #25 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Water Cooler

Rep: 53 (Unique: 42)
Quote:

Admittedly, I purchased the windowless case (yeah, the $70 after rebate sold me). My PC sits below my desk anyway.

I'm definitely leaning towards the exhaust rad with fans below. As I'll have filters on everything (included the rear as an INTAKE fan), Dust should be minimal. Should also make it easier to mount.

My only concern now is if my H110 will fit! I've seen some threads saying yes and then a few posts ago in this thread, someone mentioned it won't.

I've got an NH-D14 and the H110. Whichever fits better and runs everything cooler will stay, the other gets returned to Amazon.

I have seen them fit in other threads here, and this guy also used a Maximus V Gene, so it should work. From what I have read it appears that it must be installed with the tubes facing the top drive bays, and not the other way around. Here are a few pics of one installed, and the clearance in the drive bay. Here is the source thread about fitting an optical drive in the bottom bay with a 280mm rad, which according to Corsair is possible.

I also picked up the non windowed version because of the combo price and rebates on Newegg. But I am still aiming to do a tidy and uniform build regardless. I am not beyond putting the fans on the top of the case, but if ends up being the same performance wise I will probably mount the on the bottom. For what it's worth I believe it is easier to mount the fans to the rad first and then mount both to the top of the case. The other way, with the fans on top, would be a bit more tricky.

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it" -Master Oogway
post #26 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 88 (Unique: 72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurk View Post

Hello gents,
I too am a proud owner of this excellent case and would like to be a part of this elusive club.
Here's some pics of my build utilizing the Maximus V Gene mPCIe expansion card for wireless.
If you're interested, build parts list is in my sig.

Cheers

Doesn't the Mini PCI-e slot get in the way of the 120mm fan in the back?

post #27 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Man, mine is gonna look really messy compared to these.

post #28 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJon View Post

Man, mine is gonna look really messy compared to these.

No worries! smile.gif

Take a little time, and think through your choices when it comes to cable routing, and hardware selections, and you can make about any case look good. If my messy self can pull it off, you can as well! smile.gif

Kevdog's Law: 2 // GTX Titan: 0 CaseLabs - BH2, SMA8-A, S8
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
"If the modding you do is covered by the manufactures warranty, you didn't do enough modding."

post #29 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen to remix View Post

Doesn't the Mini PCI-e slot get in the way of the 120mm fan in the back?
This is true—it is an extremely tight fit. With a little patience you can just barely creep in the fan next to the mPCIe. Ideally you'd be able to find a fan with a thinner outer cage. Some how I managed, but I can't say I'd recommend it for everyone.

post #30 of 5064 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

No worries! smile.gif

Take a little time, and think through your choices when it comes to cable routing, and hardware selections, and you can make about any case look good. If my messy self can pull it off, you can as well! smile.gif

Running a HX850v2 in there, not a AX PSU. The cables aren't as flexible. which means they stick out really far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in