[ Build Log ] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Black Edition - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ Build Log ] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Black Edition

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Well guys about 18 years have passed since I got my first PC as a kid, and since then I've bounced around from prebuit system to prebuilt system, always wanting more. So last year I jumped head first into my first custom build an entry level gaming rig. A 3570k in a ASUS P8z77v-le plus H80i cooler. Oc to 4.4. With a ASUS GTX 770. Over this past year this has been a perfect computer. It went together with ease no problems whatsoever. I started overclocking, benching, playing games and trying to see if I could max out all the settings, and thus far I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, and thought I was satisfied. Until I came across this motherboard.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
And this case.

This story ends with "The bug bit me" doh.gif

And so a new story begins, with a new build, and the culmination of hours and hours of research. I will try my best to document the whole build on this build log taking pictures of the progress along the way I hope you enjoy following along as much as I am going to building it.
Here is the build on PCPartPicker. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bassfisher0703/saved/x4TMnQ

Please feel free send advice my way as this is my first x79 build and I know I'm going to need it. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I'm starting a new build with the same case and mobo. I look forward to seeing what you do and maybe I'll start a log myself thumb.gif

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post

I'm starting a new build with the same case and mobo. I look forward to seeing what you do and maybe I'll start a log myself thumb.gif

Me too! Well compare notes! What CPU u goin with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm using a 4930k, and just received 2 780 classies in the mail yesterday!

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post

I'm using a 4930k, and just received 2 780 classies in the mail yesterday!

Nice! I was torn between x3 sli 770's or x2 sli 780's since I'm gonna be messing around with the nvidia surround I figured I would need the more VRAM so right now I'm settled in on x2 sli 780's. That should give me enough performance to get by right now, with the option to add a 3rd 780 in the future if needed. I'm goin with the 4820k. But still might upgrade to 4930k if funds are here.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by yttocstfarc View Post

I was torn between x3 sli 770's or x2 sli 780's

You chose wisely. Did you already buy your monitors? If not, you should research the new G-Sync monitors. I'm waiting for this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techpowerup.com%2F196516%2Fasus-announces-rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-gaming-monitor.html&ei=ML7kUoS6EYvBoATKnoCoBA&usg=AFQjCNGAMKAmIDGPWmbCrA5ugO34It9_XA&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cGU

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Parts ordered and on the way. Should be heading to Microcenter next week to pick up the Motherboard and the Processor. I wonder if they will price match the cheapest price for the Rampage IV Black Edition from the Internet? Might give it a try since ill be dropping close to a grand in their store.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by yttocstfarc View Post

Parts ordered and on the way. Should be heading to Microcenter next week to pick up the Motherboard and the Processor. I wonder if they will price match the cheapest price for the Rampage IV Black Edition from the Internet? Might give it a try since ill be dropping close to a grand in their store.

Yes, they will price match as long as it's one of the larger online retailers.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok guys here is the final Parts List for my build, and total cost. -> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bassfisher0703/saved/3Lds Lemmie know what you guys think. How did I do? Only thing left is the CPU, Motherboard, and the Last GPU. Last parts be here Monday then gotta find time to run up to Microcenter to get the CPU and Motherboard. Can't Wait!! biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in