Define R4 v R5 user comparison... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Define R4 v R5 user comparison...

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Just a few thoughts regarding the R5 smile.gif
I've had an R4 for 2 years now and building a new PC I decided to get an R5 (and keep the old running in the R4!)

I was drawn in by the upgrades with more modular innards, better fan filters, proper SSD mounts on the rear of the MB tray...

But then not all is perfect. Sure the new moduvents might look better but I find they arent as quiet as the original type...and the clips are easily broken, they never seem to sit right once they've been taken off

The new door, whilst people rejoice at the fact it's reversible, it feels flimsy compared to the door on the R4, not as substantial, feels like it could easily break.
Still with the front door, the latches are irritating in that when you close it you snap it shut at the top then the bottom, it doesnt just close neatly like a magnetic door would...which was pretty damn secure. They could have easily made the door reversible whilst keeping the very nice magnetic latch they had...and kept it sturdier.

The size panels...the right side (rear?) panel is a lot nicer to use with the way it closes and the captive nuts does make getting that side shut a lot easier.
But negatives are both panels feel flimsy compared to the R4, the R4 panels were thick, heavy and practically had no flex. They made you think this is a solid case.
The side panels on the R5 feel thinner, there's definite flex and wobble when you take them off and...they just generally dont feel as good.

Then there's the quick release latching system of the left side panel which is nice in theory but the part of the panel that the latches lock into seem to get bent easily and the panel...doesnt sit flush with the case unless you use screws...so a nice idea but flawed in practise, having a captive nut panel like the other side would have done the job just as well.

On the plus side(s), the fan control switch is a lot nicer, the I/O layout at the top just seems...better (even with the power button feeling catchy).
The front accessible bottom fan filter is very nice to have rather than dragging the case out to get to it, the modularity of the case is very nice to have.

...on the whole though i think the R4 is made better (more solidly?) and I think (in my own opinion!) it's the better case...even with the R5's enhancements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I also have the R5 you can make a great looling rig in it but the window side is scratched so fast. Now im thinking of cutting a bigger window in the side.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdrambo View Post

I also have the R5 you can make a great looling rig in it but the window side is scratched so fast. Now im thinking of cutting a bigger window in the side.

Be quiet fans on the rad...it can't have been easy to mount those to it? smile.gif
I had a nightmare trying to get two silent wings 2 140mm's mounted to the front intakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

Be quiet fans on the rad...it can't have been easy to mount those to it? smile.gif
I had a nightmare trying to get two silent wings 2 140mm's mounted to the front intakes!
It was quite easy actually. Normally u would use the screwless pins, but i took the long screws from the original h100 fans and put them true the holes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 AM
486DX2 66

Rep: 221 (Unique: 126)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdrambo View Post

Acrylic scratches very easily, it's also very easy to repair.

http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Plastic-Cleaner-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0035U5ARK

You can use some 3m or anything that floats your boat, I really like this Novus kit and I use it literally all the time on almost everything imaginable.

I like the idea of a bigger window, I was about to buy a Define - S from newegg when it was 69.99 but when I went to make the buy it was suddenly $90 + 10 shipping mad.gif

Can't hear my delta fans over my Death Metal crew
The sound of fallingWhen the pictures are movingBetween the memories
I Just Found Out My PCs Have A Power Button. Meh, Still Not Shutting Down Club Member #00001
Ban Thread Bot
(19 items)
HAF Baked
(16 items)
M-M-Monster Kill
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus z97 Pro WIFI AC
GPU
Vega 64
RAM
16GB 'Team Pook' Xtreem DDR3
Hard Drive
250GB Samsung Evo 840
Hard Drive
2 x 3 TB Western Digital Black Sata 6gb/s
Hard Drive
2 TB WD Green
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 7
Operating System
Ubuntu
Monitor
LG 27UD58P-B
Monitor
AOC g2770pqu
Monitor
Sony Bravia 40"
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus
GPU
Sapphire Tri-X 290
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600
Hard Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922
Operating System
Debian 9 & Win7
Monitor
Asus VH236H
Keyboard
Ancient Dell Mechanical
Mouse
Corsair MX65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
CPU
Pentium III
Motherboard
Intel SE440BX-2
GPU
GeForce MX 440 AGP 8X
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 39000
Optical Drive
LG DVD/RW
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windoze 98
Audio
Sound Blaster Pro2
Audio
Sound Blaster 16
Audio
Sound Blaster Live!
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

I agree with the OP. I went from the R4 (non-window) to the R5 (non-window) and I wasn't impressed. I got a good deal on the R5 (same price as the R4) but I kept reading about all the improvements but wasn't impressed.

If I had to pay $20-$30 more for the R5 (over the R4) I would have saved that money and got the R4 to be honest.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

With the pleasure I had building inside my R4, I would get another any day, I loved the hell out of that case. I still have it, but it's pretty beat up now.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 77)
I own 3 Fractals, prior to buying my last one. I had the Arc xl and the R4 (non window)

Similar to you but i was looking to expand on the R4 with better focus on water cooling (Arc Xl great for this but the way the top vent were placed it limits that place a little with out going utterly custom)
so i was looking the R5 and the S. I settled with the S

I got an S with a window so by default its a little louder than a dual sided dampen like the R4 but they are similar. with the front door off the R4 they are pretty much equal. less than 3db difference

main reason is i don't need the plethora of hard drive slots. plus with the Define S i didn't need to turn the dremel on not even once.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

I own 3 Fractals, prior to buying my last one. I had the Arc xl and the R4 (non window)

Similar to you but i was looking to expand on the R4 with better focus on water cooling (Arc Xl great for this but the way the top vent were placed it limits that place a little with out going utterly custom)

I got an S with a window so by default its a little louder than a dual sided dampen like the R4 but they are similar. with the front door off the R4 they are pretty much equal. less than 3db difference

main reason is i don't need the plethora of hard drive slots. plus with the Define S i didn't need to turn the dremel on not even once.

If I was looking at getting the S I'd probably consider the case corsair announced yesterday since it's basically an S clone with a few changes...like taller feet biggrin.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/218904/corsair-launches-high-performance-carbide-400q-and-400c-pc-cases-at-ces-2016.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

If I was looking at getting the S I'd probably consider the case corsair announced yesterday since it's basically an S clone with a few changes...like taller feet biggrin.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/218904/corsair-launches-high-performance-carbide-400q-and-400c-pc-cases-at-ces-2016.html

Looks smaller and with less focus on water cooling. wouldn't work well for me at all.

that being said i can see the appeal for someone that would be air cooling or have only one Aio in their system (like some of the 980 and 980 tis come and also the fury x)

I do have to say that the shroud looks nice, but i'd likely take it out and not replace like the hard drive cages from previous fractals. that or mod it to snot.

with my impression it makes sense for it to come in just under a define S window. in my opinion it does look cheaper after building in my Define S finished pics of build! (Click to show)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in