Thermaltake Core X71 Owner's Thread - Post your build - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thermaltake Core X71 Owner's Thread - Post your build

post #11 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Unregistered User

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Is it worth the money? Been thinking about picking one of these up. I really like how simple the design is and I've wanted to do a full tower case for forever. Had been wanting to do it in a Corsair 900D for a couple years now, but they're still so stupid expensive and Newegg has the X71 for $114 now after rebates.

Motorcharge
(16 items)
CPU
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 10k RPM
Power Supply
Corsair RM 850x
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Case
Fractal Design Define S Windowed
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG 27" FreeSync IPS LED Monitor 4K UHD
Monitor
Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
Mouse
Corsair Glaive
Audio
Yamaha HTR-5640 6.1 Surround Sound A/V Receiver
Other
NZXT Hue+
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I'm in need of a replacement window panel if anyone comes across one.

I started a mod I never finished and have moved on to another case but plan to build in the x71 in the future.

Thermaltake wasn't any help in purchasing but this was a few months ago and they may be avalible now.
post #13 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk80glue View Post

Is it worth the money? Been thinking about picking one of these up. I really like how simple the design is and I've wanted to do a full tower case for forever. Had been wanting to do it in a Corsair 900D for a couple years now, but they're still so stupid expensive and Newegg has the X71 for $114 now after rebates.

I would have to say it is worth it for the price. Obviously it is not in the same league as the 900D in terms of quality, but it is also less than half the price (Amazon also has it for $120 if you would rather skip the rebate). My only complaints are fairly minor, the side window scratches easily and I had to cut out plastic in the front to fit a fourth fan for the 480mm radiator (interestingly enough the 480mm radiator fits easily, but apparently they never thought you might wants 4 fans on your quad radiator).

The fitment is not the tightest. That is, now that I have LEDs in it I can see some light coming through some of the gaps between the side panels and the frame of the case. It's not major but it is there. It is kind of weird that they give you so many rubber grommets on the back of the case. Why would you need to run tubing to an exterior rad when you can fit so many on the inside. I wish the fan filters were a little bit tighter of a pattern to keep more dust out, but they are also easily removable to clean.

If you aren't water cooling then I'm sure there are better options out there, but I am water cooling and I didn't find anything out there that I liked more than this case, at least in this price range. Give me a thousand dollars to spend on a case and I will get my caselabs dream case.

Intel I5-2500K (@ 4.5GHz), Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @ 8-8-8-20, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+, Thermaltake Core X71, XSPC Raystorm CPU, EX 120, EX360, EX480, MCP35X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)

Need a re loop due to added big passive heat sink back of the rx480...
post #15 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
sweet build man.
Yeah I was doing the same waiting for a 900D to drop in price but no go, plus these days if I was to spend that amount on just a case I'd buy a w100
I like my X71 tonnes of room for WC and fitting things in, seems taller than my buddies 900D but his is a bit deeper though.

Yeah the light leak bugs me too but after I do my sound dampening that'll be all gone, Everybody else doesn't like those 3 silly grommets too hahaha, I'm currently waiting on a new PSU cover to replace the one - have a decal idea for it so want it solid.
Side panel one I made as my LED switch panel so I can easily turn my lights on and off - just about done making that, it's gonna glow too smile.gif
lower one I just cover from the inside with white acrylic and going to put a little TT sun logo on it, since the white plate glows from my lower lighting so gotta make er pretty.

Thanks too man wasn't sure if I was gonna attempt the front panel cutting I don't want to loose my filter, but looks if I'm super careful to save the clips when I cut them off I can relocate them over a bit maybe too help hold the top, but my plans are for 4 X 140mm intake fans I know they fit I've already sized it up and even made a panel to help hold the top fan better, just need to order 2 or 3 more of blue ring fans and another Silverstone PWM fan hub.

OH and for anybody trying to do the backside dual 120m fans or dual 140mm.
Get 4 little L-brackets, drill out 4 holes in the right spots in the channel and you can use the 4 brackets on the backside way better and a bit more forward away from the PSU I'll post a pic once I'm done, got a bit of tweaking to do to make my L-brackets look a lot better than 4 silver things hanging hahahaha but works really well.
I tried at first just drilling 4 holes didn't work too well kinda pops the cover panel out a bit, they need to hang.

I also want another window side panel, want to do dual windows on my case, I'm making right now a real nice back panel cover which will hold my wires down and it's got lighting all around it some also clear acrylic spots and what not ,gonna look sweet.

would like to have in the bottom my 360mm and a 240mm with my HDD cage setup that I did, but just not sure it's wide enough, would really like to do dual res, dual pump set with 3 rads and a whack of blocks but think my dual 360mm's should be good enough and can always keep my other pump and res for spares.
post #16 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
You really don't have to worry about the front filter staying in place even with the clips cut off. You still have clips all along the side and the bottom. It really is not going to go anywhere. I could have cut the top of the filter frame off completely (instead of just a section to fit a 120mm fan) and it would still have been fine.

Ha, I could never do a window panel on the back of my x71. It is just a rat's nest back there as I have 2x 3.5" hard drives and 2x SSDs back there as well as pump power, pump pwm, 11 fan cables, etc. Oh and I put my 5.25" fan controller in the bottom panel in stead of mounting it in the front like it is meant to because it doesn't match well, so that adds even more mess.

Intel I5-2500K (@ 4.5GHz), Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @ 8-8-8-20, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+, Thermaltake Core X71, XSPC Raystorm CPU, EX 120, EX360, EX480, MCP35X
post #17 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

hahahaha NICE lol, yeah me too usually but after seeing some of the super cable management mods I was stoked to try and attempt on myself

just too sure if I'm going to do my dual pump and res setup, would really like too, then I would do my idea foreverything like I really wanted too but just could never see myself doing it.
but now I really am, so would love to do a custom resident evil build all blue and green, blue/green T-virus res's whole whack full of custom printed decal work, just a complete super PC mod build, but maybe someday I'll never be getting rid of my Core X71 unless somebody dropped a W100 in my lap lol and that's unlikely tongue.gif
post #18 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
Im looking at this case how well does it cool and how well does it fit large rads i have a rx360 and rx240 with push pull fans thanks for any input. Kinda funny walmart sells this case for 119 with tax gonna cost me 127 with free to store pickup monday.

post #19 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

NICE
If your putting those down in the bottom with your PSU you'd have no issues, up top though it'd be very tight I have a 360X30mm going up top push pull and my fans hang over the board a fair bit.
But if you use them down in the lower compartment and get a slim for the roof you'll be laughing.
post #20 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
hmm ok so i could fit my rx360 in bottom and rx240 in front or something along those lines i only have 2 ssds i plan to put in the back. I have a dual bay res with my pump in it so i was wondering if i was gonna be able to use my rx360 up top any way and have it fit still part of reason i got the case is all the places i could put my rads lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in