Want to "upgrade" from a HAF-X - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Want to "upgrade" from a HAF-X

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
flyinion Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Ice009 View Post
Hi Flyinion, I'm in the exact same boat with the same Case (HAF-X purchased in 2010 when it first came out) and same cooler (NH-D14), and I really want to upgrade Cases, but have no idea what to get. I've been looking for a good 6 months, but nothing stands out to me.

I'll start a new thread probably (I think I still want at least 1 x 5.25inch bay and might want to stay with air cooling), but just wanted to ask similar question to the OP. How much better would these newer AIO liquid coolers be over my NH-D14, and also, if the area you live in is dusty (it's very windy here so I regularly have to blow out the dust in my Case with an air compressor), do you have have to regularly clean the radiator? Will I be able to blow out the dust with an Air Compressor?

Oh, and how are these AIO liquid coolers in regards to water leaks? The main reason I've stayed so long with the NH-D14 is because I leave my PC on 24/7 and I was worried about water leaks when I'm not home or asleep. Would you guys still recommend water cooling if you leave the PC on 24/7?
So I've been looking into the water cooling quite a bit since I started looking at cases. Especially cause some are marginal for fitting the D14. What I've seen is most of the higher quality AIO will surpass the stock D14 and match or slightly better than the D15. One product I'm interested in (and there are similar) is the Eisbaer from Alphacool https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2YM-0007-00191 It's not a closed loop AIO. You can actually open it to refill it, and add in a GPU version as well. It's not much more $$$ (relatively vs custom loop) than most of the high end AIO's from the other companies either. I will say that I was told by the company I've been talking to about water cooling (not Newegg) that they don't recommend going bigger than the 280 version because the pump isn't powerful enough to be more effective in the 360 version for instance. I.e. it will still cool but not really any better than the 280 and is kind of a waste of $$ due to that. Apparently a benefit of adding in the GPU version though is now you have two pumps and if one fails you still have the second running.

As far as cases I think so far I'm zeroing in on Phanteks Evolv X, Luxe or maybe the Luxe 2 if it comes out soon enough, or maybe a CM H500M even though it has some cheap plastic apparently but 4xUSB 3 and 1 USB C on the front is really tempting. I thought about the NZXT H700i but while it would be a great case for custom loops etc., I'm not sure I like the really plain exterior look of it, not a fan of the large amount of white, and the all black one loses the nice contrast of the colored cable cover. The red and blue ones are a bit much as well mostly because once you pick one of those you're stuck with that color unless you repaint down the road if you want to change how things look.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 AM
Senior OCN Member
shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about shilka has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Ice009 View Post
Hi Flyinion, I'm in the exact same boat with the same Case (HAF-X purchased in 2010 when it first came out) and same cooler (NH-D14), and I really want to upgrade Cases, but have no idea what to get. I've been looking for a good 6 months, but nothing stands out to me.

I'll start a new thread probably (I think I still want at least 1 x 5.25inch bay and might want to stay with air cooling), but just wanted to ask similar question to the OP. How much better would these newer AIO liquid coolers be over my NH-D14, and also, if the area you live in is dusty (it's very windy here so I regularly have to blow out the dust in my Case with an air compressor), do you have have to regularly clean the radiator? Will I be able to blow out the dust with an Air Compressor?

Oh, and how are these AIO liquid coolers in regards to water leaks? The main reason I've stayed so long with the NH-D14 is because I leave my PC on 24/7 and I was worried about water leaks when I'm not home or asleep. Would you guys still recommend water cooling if you leave the PC on 24/7?
You dont want a CLC cooler if you got a D14
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

Seravee
(31 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in