Meshify vs Define Noise/Cooling - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Meshify vs Define Noise/Cooling

Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
zxz715 Level 1

Meshify vs Define Noise/Cooling

Evening Forum, i've been saving up for a new computer to upgrade from my old first gen i7

And so i've decided to go for a clean looking mATX Build to both look nice and take up little space in my room. and i found the fractal design series to my liking. But i want it quiet and i will be going with either a noctua D14/15 or a Be quiet! Dark rock 4 Pro. so no AIO.

Now my question is, would the meshify be better in terms of no restrictions on airflow, letting 140 mm fans run much slower to push air to the tower cooler on the cpu. and therefore less noisey than the Define C with having to curve the air around the front panel, im guessing at higher RPM to cool the same.

Any ideas, or even better if someone knows some numbers between the two cases with the same hardware, Noise level and Tempature. Other clean small mATX cases would be nice to see aswell. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e5403030-56e2-4652-a8c3-1acc7ffb4902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	247238  

Name:	66d34ccb-cdc1-4575-978c-4f3ac26cb071.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	247240  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
jonny27 Level 1

Not really a Meshify, but similar. I went from an Arc Midi R2 to a Define R6, while keeping the same components and layout (4790 w/ Cryorig M9i, 1070ti on both stock blower cooler and a Raijintek Morpheus, 3 Phanteks F140MP as 2 intakes and 1 exhaust). And honestly the difference was next to nothing, mainly because I have my own set fan curves, and had to crank the fans a couple hundred rpm higher to keep the same temperatures. There was a slight decrease in noise from my mechanical hdd (emphasys on "slight"), but that's about it. And take into account I live on a rural area that's dead silent, so any tiny sound is noticeable.
I reckon the large dB differences are mainly reported by the "install and forget" crowd, but if you're willing to do some tweaking, any case can be made silent, it's all about the components themselves and how quiet they are. I for one can tell you that next time I will not be actively searching for a dampened case, even the case quality itself plays a larger role in sound dampening (such as using thicker steel panels).

Tl,dr: just pick whichever one you prefer, you can make the Meshify just as silent because you can set the fans to run slower.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 AM
Meep
Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by zxz715 View Post

Any ideas, or even better if someone knows some numbers between the two cases with the same hardware, Noise level and Tempature. Other clean small mATX cases would be nice to see aswell. Thanks
As been said, if fan noise is the issue, its not going to matter much which you pick. The define will dampen some high frequency noise (coil whine etc.) a bit more than the meshify tho.

And here are some other sub 35L cases with a clean design that can fit large air coolers:

mATX:
  • Jonsbo U3 (21L)
  • Jonsbo UMX3 (25L)
  • Raijintek Styx (25L)
  • MetallicGear(Phanteks) Neo Micro (30L)
  • SilverStone Fortress FT03 (32L small footprint)

ATX:
  • Raijintek Thetis (28L)
  • Jonsbo U4 black (30L)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM
New to Overclock.net
Saiger0

For some reason both cases have absolutely terrible gpu temperatures. I´ve got the meshify c and my msi gtx 1080ti gaming x runs in high 80s on stock settings. Had to undervolt to keep it to around 72C.
All reviews Ive read suggested amazing airflow... wihich is only true for cpu temps. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-cases-of-2018
Old 01-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Meep
Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road Gilles3000 is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Saiger0 View Post
For some reason both cases have absolutely terrible gpu temperatures. I´ve got the meshify c and my msi gtx 1080ti gaming x runs in high 80s on stock settings. Had to undervolt to keep it to around 72C.
All reviews Ive read suggested amazing airflow... wihich is only true for cpu temps. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...-cases-of-2018
What fan setup are you running? A 1080ti is not an easy card to cool, it needs a lot of airflow, and even then stock coolers only do an okay job.

Edit: Looking around a bit, high 70's seem to be quite normal for a Gaming X inside an average case.

Last edited by Gilles3000; 01-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
Saiger0

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
What fan setup are you running? A 1080ti is not an easy card to cool, it needs a lot of airflow, and even then stock coolers only do an okay job.

Edit: Looking around a bit, high 70's seem to be quite normal for a Gaming X inside an average case.
yea 70 degrees after i undervolted my card to 0.9V. On stock voltages im in high 80.

check out this graph (which i discovered too late) from gm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	best-cases-2018_sl600m_gpu.png
Views:	35
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	247652  

Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Meep

Quote: Originally Posted by Saiger0 View Post
yea 70 degrees after i undervolted my card to 0.9V. On stock voltages im in high 80.

check out this graph (which i discovered too late) from gm
Seems a bit extreme of a temperature drop for just an undervolt. Did you check ambient and GPU intake temperature before each test?

Yes I've seen the GN review. And that's why I asked what your fan setup is. If you're just running it stock, well you shouldn't be if you're using a 1080ti in there.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:23 AM
New to Overclock.net
Saiger0

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Seems a bit extreme of a temperature drop for just an undervolt. Did you check ambient and GPU intake temperature before each test?

Yes I've seen the GN review. And that's why I asked what your fan setup is. If you're just running it stock, well you shouldn't be if you're using a 1080ti in there.
I´m fiddling with it for a couple of weeks now. Different fan setups wont really affect gpu temps for the better just like 2-3 degrees or so. Im running 2 silent wings 3s as intake and 1 nf a12x25 as exhaust currently.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gpu-only-2x-meshify.png
Views:	21
Size:	831.6 KB
ID:	247734  

Tags
Be Quiet , Define C , Fractal Design , meshify c , Noctua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in