Need Advice (800D - what to do moving forward) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need Advice (800D - what to do moving forward)

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Need Advice (800D - what to do moving forward)

Hi everyone,

I built my rig mostly back from the 2011-2012 time frame, and it's time to start doing some non-GPU upgrades.

One thing I'm contemplating, is going a different direction with my tower. Right now I use a Corsair 800D, and I never really used it for what I had intended (open loop system). It's massive, it's not optimized very well in certain regards to fit rads as is without a little modification, and this whole time all I've done is air cool as is.

For air cooling, it doesn't hit me as a very good case as is - and I've been running SLI 970s though I'll go back to a single card next time around.

Should I look for a better midsized tower with air cooling and move in that direction? I suppose I might rethink liquid in the future as well (though being honest, seems like more of a hassle when closed loop achieves what I want for the most part), but not sure how much that should drive the decision.

Any input would be great, I really appreciate it.

JL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Well, you basically should decide out right. Do you want to build a loop, or not?

I am a massive proponent of water cooling your system. But being said it really is not for everyone as there is both, reward, and maintenance along with a substantial cost increase. Expect to spend $400USD minimum to do a liquid cooling setup correctly from scratch with any quality parts at all, and it only goes up from there.

If you chase a mid tower computer format, and you do decide to build a loop later, it will require much greater part planning than just outright buying a larger case designed for water cooling. As space becomes premium, and radiator thickness, res size, bend radius, etc all become more constricting factors. I tend to believe midsize builds look better than large case builds anyways, but I also perform these builds and can tell you they aren't as simple as my large builds have been as parts become harder to pick from.

The fact that you chose a 800D originally tells me you likely do not care for all the ugly flare and flashy cases out there (maybe I'm wrong), fortunately for you there are many cases being made now that do not have all the fluff, It used to be a boring case or Lian Li for a nice refined build if you didn't like tacticool plastic and steel. Take a look at Fractal Design (Cheaper and All Around Good), Lian Li (Unparalleled Modularity and Clean builds), Be Quiet! (Amazing Quiet Cases that do it all) for mid tower cases that can act as Air and or Water, while not looking like a heap of (s)crap parts trying to serve a purpose.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
You hit it pretty much on the head - I do like a clean design, and all your points about space for rad sizes, reservoirs, bends and such make it a lot tougher if the decision is to downsize.

Might need to do more research about what's optimal and can fit in the 800D without having to take a dremel to the bays.

Thanks
JL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Id be more than willing to give you a hand in picking out parts or advising on solutions when you hit a road block. I typically build my loops in smaller cases as I cannot stand having a monster as tall as my desk or the size of a mini fridge.

While the 800D is a challenging case to mod due to its unique internals and how they connect, it can be adequately cooled via a loop as you instantly have 480mmx120mm (57600mm) of rad space available with the top and rear exhaust. More with modding obviously. But in this decision you should first look at cases online, and wage the features you would gain with money, versus the features you would gain with time (and possibly money for tooling)

If you aren't confident in modding yet, I strongly suggest you start looking at cases in the size range you actually want as a backup plan. See if there is one out there that peaks your interest if you intend to pick building a loop. In my early days I ruined several cases while modding and trying to do things the easy or fast way with the wrong tooling.

Anyhow, good luck deciding what you want to do!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Burritos are B7

Rep: 50 (Unique: 32)
I too had the 800D back in those years. I had an aoi liquid cooled, corsair h100. It was ok with push or pull, but not both. No room at top. The side window panel never lined up correctly. Also, I didn't like how I had to address the front usb 3.0 cabling. Other than that, it was a great case. The 900D took its place with more room and better build quality.

Your question is really up to you. If your 800D isn't messed up, you can still do a custom loop or aio with or without case modding. It's exceptional for air cooling even though you think not and it's still a great looking case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in