Cases Similar to Spectre Case. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Cases Similar to Spectre Case.

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Cases Similar to Spectre Case.

Does any company make a case remotely similar to the Spectre case? I'm fed up waiting on them to put things in stock and have reasonable ship times. First went to $950 with 8 weeks wait to 12 weeks wait back to 8 weeks wait but wait, $1450.00....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 38)
I was one of those people eyeing those cases around January too, and was shocked when it went from $950 to $1299 in about 3 weeks. I asked Singularity if they'd honor the $950 price during the month of January, and I didn't get any response on both occasions I contacted them. I was ready to buy, but the lack of communication left a sour taste in my mouth. Not that I was expecting them to honor that price, but the general lack of communication period. A courtesy "Thanks, but no thanks" email would have sufficed. Anyway, the 12 week wait time and shipping was also a factor to consider, so I pretty much lost hope of ever getting one.

Then, the most AMAZING thing happened this week. Just recently, I did a random search on ebay and found a brand new, never unboxed black Singularity case. It was a customer order that already arrived here in the states, but the customer changed their mind on the build and went in a different direction. Needless to say, his asking price was lower than Singularity's, and I should be getting it in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty excited, and hope that I'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.

As for similar cases to Singularity's Spectre case, there are some case companies that have paired up with Barrow to make integrated distribution plates. Search "PC distribution plates" and you'll probably get some answers.

Last edited by ProfeZZor X; 02-08-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
I was one of those people eyeing those cases around January too, and was shocked when it went from $950 to $1299 in about 3 weeks. I asked Singularity if they'd honor the $950 price during the month of January, and I didn't get any response on both occasions I contacted them. I was ready to buy, but the lack of communication left a sour taste in my mouth. Not that I was expecting them to honor that price, but the general lack of communication period. A courtesy "Thanks, but no thanks" email would have sufficed. Anyway, the 12 week wait time and shipping was also a factor to consider, so I pretty much lost hope of ever getting one.

Then, the most AMAZING thing happened this week. Just recently, I did a random search on ebay and found a brand new, never unboxed black Singularity case. It was a customer order that already arrived here in the states, but the customer changed their mind on the build and went in a different direction. Needless to say, his asking price was lower than Singularity's, and I should be getting it in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty excited, and hope that I'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.

As for similar cases to Singularity's Spectre case, there are some case companies that have paired up with Barrow to make integrated distribution plates. Search "PC distribution plates" and you'll probably get some answers.
Price came back down to $950 when i ordered in April, I didn't receive it until November...

Also keep in mind, you're a beta tester for this case. It has some flaws.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post
Price came back down to $950 when i ordered in April, I didn't receive it until November...

Also keep in mind, you're a beta tester for this case. It has some flaws.
I literally just found out about this case last month while looking at pc builds on YouTube. I immediately fell in love with it, but didn't plan on doing a build anytime soon. My current Caselabs case is starting to show its age, so I figure it's time to upgrade and pass my pc along to my kids.

So what kind of flaws have you encountered so far?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
I literally just found out about this case last month while looking at pc builds on YouTube. I immediately fell in love with it, but didn't plan on doing a build anytime soon. My current Caselabs case is starting to show its age, so I figure it's time to upgrade and pass my pc along to my kids.

So what kind of flaws have you encountered so far?
I was the same way, as soon as i saw it fell in love with it. Also replaced a CL s8 w/pedestal.

i'm going to be writing a review of the case in my build log shortly with pics. Lots to like about it but it has a couple bad flaws and some issues that need to be worked out. I'll just give you a run down of the issues.

By far the biggest issue with the case is the return port placement at the top of the reservoir. When you look at it you'll see that its placed just below the fill point. This makes getting the air out of the system take around 6 weeks(i'm not exaggerating). All air continuously gets pushed back into the res and toward the pump and back into the loop. Very slowly little bits of air will make it to the top of the fillport. The other issue with this is the space between the fillport and return, there is hardly any. This means when you're topping the system off you're constantly putting a few drops of water in. If you let the fill level drop near the return port it'll start sucking air back into the system. To remedy this i use a 45 degree angled fitting at the fill port with a bunch of extensions allowing me to fill up past the fill port. You will have to leave the rear panel off to do this which leads to my next issue...

On the rear panel it has two problems. First, they didn't make the cutout for the drain port large enough to fit over a drain valve, so you can't pull the rear panel off if you use one. Instead you'll have to lean it against the valve and its prone to chipping if you do that. Second, there is no cutout for the fill port at the top so you have to take it off anyways to fill it which you'll be doing constantly for weeks while the air slowly bleeds out.

On the front io, the usb 3.0 cable is too short to reach your mobo connectors if they're midway up the board as opposed to the bottom. In addition, that usb cable has two thick rubber wire sheaths, one of which is longer than the other, and its a difficult cable to get it to do what you want. Last, usb 3.0 cable is so thick it eats up a lot of your space for running wires. If you build your own cables and sleeve everything like me space is at a premium. I finally got frustrated with it and cut that cable off so i have no front io. Had i known this up front i would have had them make me a blank front io panel.

One of the usb connectors on the front io is slightly crooked, can't fix it because its glued into place.

Another issue are the manifold screws. First they come loose during shipping, you'll likely find a few that fell out when you open the package. In the instructions it says this is normal. What it doesn't say is that during the initial settling phase(the manifold is made of 5 sheets of acrylic and needs time to settle into place after its built) and heat cycling the manifold screws will come loose around the water channels and reservoir. Around 3/4 of mine became very loose, like loose to the touch where they wobble around and have no grip. This allowed water to leak past the water channels and leave staining around the outsides. I have this around the entire upper channel and near the bottom of the res. After i tightened the screws so that they just barely grab onto the acrylic this has not been issue. Cracking open the manifold to fix this will be a huge pain and it voids your warranty(although mine is likely voided because i had to adjust the screws to stop it from leaking LOL). Also, if you ever need to clean out the res/water channels it won't be fun at all taking it apart. Make sure you are very thorough cleaning your rads because once crap is in there it isn't coming out.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post
I was the same way, as soon as i saw it fell in love with it. Also replaced a CL s8 w/pedestal.

i'm going to be writing a review of the case in my build log shortly with pics. Lots to like about it but it has a couple bad flaws and some issues that need to be worked out. I'll just give you a run down of the issues.

By far the biggest issue with the case is the return port placement at the top of the reservoir. When you look at it you'll see that its placed just below the fill point. This makes getting the air out of the system take around 6 weeks(i'm not exaggerating). All air continuously gets pushed back into the res and toward the pump and back into the loop. Very slowly little bits of air will make it to the top of the fillport. The other issue with this is the space between the fillport and return, there is hardly any. This means when you're topping the system off you're constantly putting a few drops of water in. If you let the fill level drop near the return port it'll start sucking air back into the system. To remedy this i use a 45 degree angled fitting at the fill port with a bunch of extensions allowing me to fill up past the fill port. You will have to leave the rear panel off to do this which leads to my next issue...

On the rear panel it has two problems. First, they didn't make the cutout for the drain port large enough to fit over a drain valve, so you can't pull the rear panel off if you use one. Instead you'll have to lean it against the valve and its prone to chipping if you do that. Second, there is no cutout for the fill port at the top so you have to take it off anyways to fill it which you'll be doing constantly for weeks while the air slowly bleeds out.

On the front io, the usb 3.0 cable is too short to reach your mobo connectors if they're midway up the board as opposed to the bottom. In addition, that usb cable has two thick rubber wire sheaths, one of which is longer than the other, and its a difficult cable to get it to do what you want. Last, usb 3.0 cable is so thick it eats up a lot of your space for running wires. If you build your own cables and sleeve everything like me space is at a premium. I finally got frustrated with it and cut that cable off so i have no front io. Had i known this up front i would have had them make me a blank front io panel.

One of the usb connectors on the front io is slightly crooked, can't fix it because its glued into place.

Another issue are the manifold screws. First they come loose during shipping, you'll likely find a few that fell out when you open the package. In the instructions it says this is normal. What it doesn't say is that during the initial settling phase(the manifold is made of 5 sheets of acrylic and needs time to settle into place after its built) and heat cycling the manifold screws will come loose around the water channels and reservoir. Around 3/4 of mine became very loose, like loose to the touch where they wobble around and have no grip. This allowed water to leak past the water channels and leave staining around the outsides. I have this around the entire upper channel and near the bottom of the res. After i tightened the screws so that they just barely grab onto the acrylic this has not been issue. Cracking open the manifold to fix this will be a huge pain and it voids your warranty(although mine is likely voided because i had to adjust the screws to stop it from leaking LOL). Also, if you ever need to clean out the res/water channels it won't be fun at all taking it apart. Make sure you are very thorough cleaning your rads because once crap is in there it isn't coming out.
All good useful info to know. Thanks... It'll be a few months before I finish my build, because I'm being meticulous about the components I put into this build this time around, instead of rushing through the process of getting it done. My Spectre case will be the first of the components I receive on my list, so I'll have plenty of time to assemble and work out the kinks before I select and receive everything else.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Got my Singularity case last Friday and attempted to assemble it yesterday. Needless to say the quality of the materials was superb, however the assembly of the acrylic manifold (distribution plate) was shockingly poor. Before I could finish unwrapping it from the protective plastic shrink wrap most of the screws were falling out of the manifold onto the floor, along with the tiny little matching nuts. Mind you, Singularity claims that 1) these manifolds come pre-assembled, and 2) if you tamper with the manifold bolts or make any adjustments to them whatsoever, the warranty is void. So does this mean to say that if 15% of the bolts in the manifold aren't tightened and fall out of the manifold, and it leaks profusely even after I assemble it, I'm suppose to suck it up at enjoy my leaking case anyway?

The other thing I absolutely hate is they use Allen wrench screws for everything. With all the tightening going on assembling the case with the exact same two socket sizes, it's a wonder my Allen keys haven't stripped down. Philips or flathead screws would have been so much better and practical to use on this case.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
That sucks about the screws on the distribution plate, I’d give them a call. As for the Allen screws they’re 100% better than Phillips after you order a set of these https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-tho...ip9502/p261254 😁

Lian Li PC-O6SX
(21 items)
CPU
i7 8700K
Motherboard
EVGA Z370 Micro
GPU
GTX 1080Ti
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LED
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV CPU Block
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 1080Ti Block & Backplate
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 200mm DDC Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
Hardware Labs 360GTS Radiator
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Bitspower 16mm PETG Tubing
Cooling
Thermaltake RIING Plus Fans
Cooling
Barrow Flow Meter
Case
Lian Li PC-O6SX
Operating System
Window 10 Home
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide 34"
Keyboard
DAS Keyboard 4 Pro
Mouse
Razer Deathadder RGB
Mousepad
Mionix Alioth XXL Stiched Gaming Pad
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
That sucks about the screws on the distribution plate, I’d give them a call. As for the Allen screws they’re 100% better than Phillips after you order a set of these https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-tho...ip9502/p261254 😁
I'm in America and Singularity Computers is in Australia, so giving them a call isn't quite that easy. I'll figure something out... In the mean time, I'll distract myself with the components I've been eying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in