Need advice for a custom open case with room for many hdds. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need advice for a custom open case with room for many hdds.

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Need advice for a custom open case with room for many hdds.

I wanna change my pc case to an open case so i can easily change and upgrade parts.
I'm looking at this open pc case.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
It gives me the option to have the gpus raised which i think might help if i go sli in the future to have both raised and not having to use water or hybrid cooling.

About hdds i'm thinking to mount this open case on top of this mobile short shelving unit where i can place the hdds on the shelves.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

For the hdds i'm thinking to mount them in this hdd cages and then place them on the shelves.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg
I have 14 hdds and would want to have room for at least 10 more for future proof.

I have the evga 1600w t2 psu and i think its sata power cables can take up to 15 hdds. What is the max hdds this psu can handle and can i use splitters if i need in the future to mount more hdds?

Also can i use an hba card like the LSI 9305-24i x8 lane without losing any significant performance from my gpu when gaming?

About protecting my pc components from dust i'm thinking to wrap the shelving unit with some custom dust filter, i dont wanna use zipties to hold the filters on the shelving unit so i hope you guys can give me some ideas for quick and easy removal of the filters when i need to access the pc components.

Would like to dust filter the open mining case on top of the shelving unit too if possible.(no mining intended i just like the case).

If you guys can recommend me better parts for my project that dont break the bank please do.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you guys can give me!

Last edited by gavros777; 03-02-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Dangerously Enticing.

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
That PSU should be able to power those drives. Im not sure what the limit is but im sure its not 15.
Most drives take up to about 2.1 amps of additional current on the 12 volt rail to start the platters spinning - that's 25 watts per drive. This is in addition to the eight watts that the drive electronics may be consuming.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by DomeD- View Post
That PSU should be able to power those drives. Im not sure what the limit is but im sure its not 15.
Most drives take up to about 2.1 amps of additional current on the 12 volt rail to start the platters spinning - that's 25 watts per drive. This is in addition to the eight watts that the drive electronics may be consuming.
I think the cables that psu comes with limits the hdds to 15 as then i will have to use splitters to add more.
Is it safe to use sata splitters on this psu and how my hdds a single 6 pin sata port of this psu can handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Dangerously Enticing.

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
That PSU can handle the max, i'm sure. Which is 24 if im not mistaken...
24 or 26, assigned to a drive letter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the info domed.
I was worried as i thought the 2.1 amp per drive are taken from this [email protected], [email protected], and was like that's 12 hdds max.
So since the 2.1 amps are taken by the 12v which is at 133.3 A that means i can go much higher than 12.

Only worry now is if a single port can handle more than 5 hdds as evga scares me not to connect more than 4 and custom cable makers dont wanna make me a cable that connects more than 5 hdds per 6 pin port.

I was thinking to switch to two 1200w hx corsair psus that are listed also [email protected] and have 6 sata ports instead of 5 to the evga but reading the reviews i got scared as people report them dying and killing all their hard drives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in