Replace Silverstone FT02 with what? 9900k - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Replace Silverstone FT02 with what? 9900k

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 AM
Never Finished

Rep: 267 (Unique: 205)
Well, that case is still the top dog overall when it comes to air cooling. Probably the only case that can outdo it is Silverstone's FT04 with the 2krpm AP182 leafblowers. And that's only because that case has the AP182s. With the same fans, the FT02, FT04, and FT05 and raven equivalents will all cool basically the same because they're basically the same case. All of them have the problem of an HDD cage blocking airflow somewhere, but that can be easily removed to improve airflow.

There is list of reasons why the 9900k is a female dog to cool on air:

Spoiler!

There is a new Fortress/Raven case coming soon
. It's basically like the RV03, but instead of having 5.25" bays, you have 2x120mm fan mounts. It comes with AP183 fans as well. They say it's a prototype, but that looks pretty close to a finished product to me. Unfortunately, it isn't that much different from the rest of the 90 degree cases that Silverstone has made, airflow-wise.

I'm not a fan of this new case, though. The next evolution of this design is a dual chamber one. Picture the O11 Air/Dynamic and FT02 making a baby. Oh, and add a 140mm top exhaust already Enticing, yeah?

Good news is, the O11 cases are very popular and successful, so it wouldn't be unnatural for competitors to take some design cues. Look at the NZXT H440. It was basically the O11 back in the day. After that, everyone started imitating it.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 04-26-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Kind of bad time to buy with computex just around the corner. Also the cases announced in ces like pc-011 xl coming out. Rather get the xl than the dynamic/air at this point.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Sexagenarian

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by ocococ View Post
Hi folks, I haven’t upgraded cases in a looong time (as you can see). I recently replaced the components with a 9900k, aorus master z390 board and RX560 gpu (short card). For cooling I have the NH-D15. Right now I have a SSD and 4 HDDs, but will likely consolidate the HDDs to a single 6-8tb drive.

The case is great but I’m wondering if there are newer cases with better cooling for the cpu since the 9900k is a fryer. The only thing about this case is it can’t fit the Corsair h150 pro, but that’s not as big of a deal now that I have the noctua.

I dont care about rgb, or even much about how it looks as it sits under my desk. The ft02 is quite heavy so getting something lighter would be a nice to have.

So net net, better cooling than FT02 and maybe lighter. Price isn’t a big factor either.

Any suggestions or just keep the FT02?

Thanks!
There is seriously no case I know of that is an upgrade from a FT02 , I had an RV02 but sold it to buy a corsair 900d - not an upgrade - nice shiny custom loop water cooling -- a few thousand Aussie $$$ later I wished I had carefully packed up the Raven so I could come back to it later , always preferred the look of the Fortress , but , where I am you buy the one you can find locally , so I got the RV02 - shipping on a case that size will almost cause bankruptcy !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ocococ View Post
Hi folks, I haven’t upgraded cases in a looong time (as you can see). I recently replaced the components with a 9900k, aorus master z390 board and RX560 gpu (short card). For cooling I have the NH-D15. Right now I have a SSD and 4 HDDs, but will likely consolidate the HDDs to a single 6-8tb drive.

The case is great but I’m wondering if there are newer cases with better cooling for the cpu since the 9900k is a fryer. The only thing about this case is it can’t fit the Corsair h150 pro, but that’s not as big of a deal now that I have the noctua.

I dont care about rgb, or even much about how it looks as it sits under my desk. The ft02 is quite heavy so getting something lighter would be a nice to have.

So net net, better cooling than FT02 and maybe lighter. Price isn’t a big factor either.

Any suggestions or just keep the FT02?

Thanks!
I have had my RaVen RV02-E for years now, but I am waiting for Silverstone to release this case....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SilverStone-Alta-S1-Case-News-1-768x512.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	289992  

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brodda-Syd View Post
I have had my RaVen RV02-E for years now, but I am waiting for Silverstone to release this case....
I am also waiting for them to release that case. My FT05 is too small inside and it's difficult removing / adding components. The Alta S1 is huge and looks amazing too

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in