Evolution - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Evolution

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Devil in baggy pants

Rep: 49 (Unique: 38)
Evolution

So I'm about to enter the next phase of my PC skill set. Aluminum brazing. Compliments to Caselabs for thinking it would be ok to drill holes in my STH10 with the comfort of knowing I'd be able to buy a replacement part in the future. Learning that JB weld might be good for the small holes but isn't up to the standard of filling in the holes I drilled for tubing. Fortunately my recent change in marital status allows me as much time as I need to master aluminum repair. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience and welcome all constructive comments.

Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1, Intel Core i7-6950x @ 4.4GHz
Dual Titan XP SLI, 64 GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 CL 14
Samsung 1 TB 960 pro & 1 Samsung 500GB 960 evo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 24)
Repairing holes in aluminum will be very tough. Considering that aluminum is one of the materials that dos not adhesive other material easy, that includes paints it will hold things in place but will not be strong by any means and you can't weld it like you would weld steal.

Anything that you would use to patch that hole will be held only by the inner walls of the hole and once you sanded to make it nice flash surface anything might knock that repair area off. This is going to be tough one.

I am always ready to try new things but I'm scratching my head to try figure out how this could be accomplished without wasting time and making big mess, I would love to know when you come up with something solid.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Devil in baggy pants

Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
Repairing holes in aluminum will be very tough. Considering that aluminum is one of the materials that dos not adhesive other material easy, that includes paints it will hold things in place but will not be strong by any means and you can't weld it like you would weld steal.

Anything that you would use to patch that hole will be held only by the inner walls of the hole and once you sanded to make it nice flash surface anything might knock that repair area off. This is going to be tough one.

I am always ready to try new things but I'm scratching my head to try figure out how this could be accomplished without wasting time and making big mess, I would love to know when you come up with something solid.
This is what I had in mind. I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos for this product.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EWXNCDXH&psc=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 24)
Nice findings, this might do the trick. I think if you plan each move carefully and take your time you might pull that off with good final results
Keep us posted
Attached Images

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Devil in baggy pants

Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
Nice findings, this might do the trick. I think if you plan each move carefully and take your time you might pull that off with good final results
Keep us posted
I have nothing if not time. I inherited my X's laptop which was much faster, and newer, then my old Thinkpad. So I'm not rushing to get this build back online. I intend on going to a dual loop system so I need a few months to afford all the additional hardware. Worse case I'll cut a section from a spare part and use it to patch the bigger holes using this product to secure it. I finished a couple smaller pieces using JB Weld from application to painting, and wasn't overly impressed with the final outcome. It would be nice if a new vendor would hurry up and fill the void left by Caselabs. Prior to my STH10, I spent tons of wasted dollars on Silverstone, Corsair, Lian Li, and CoolerMaster flagship cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in