Any super towers with lots of HDD bays? Now that Corsair 900D is dead... - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any super towers with lots of HDD bays? Now that Corsair 900D is dead...

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Get a rack lol.

Super tower, first time I hear that term. Large cases are impractical and expensive. Most case makers stop at full tower size/ATX. Some offer EATX support. And these can pack in 10 HDDs. So no idea who the heck makes a super tower with 5 XD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
big builds are OUT!

small form factor is IN!

been away for a minute huh?

no offence but things like fan headers and such are why i keep small pair of needle nose pliers and tweezers around. i wish i could be more help but i can't really tell the difference w/super tower other than they seem to have a basement for the PSU making it taller but not wider than full towers.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Get a rack lol.

Super tower, first time I hear that term. Large cases are impractical and expensive. Most case makers stop at full tower size/ATX. Some offer EATX support. And these can pack in 10 HDDs. So no idea who the heck makes a super tower with 5 XD
I've considered a rack, but...

a) The extra space taken up by a super tower compared to a full tower is far less than the space taken up by a NAS rack
b) Why should I have to invest in what's essentially an entirely new computer just because my case manufacturer didn't see fit to add enough 3.5" support?

And I agree, I have no idea what Corsair was thinking with the 1000D's mere five 3.5" support. Baffling.

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
big builds are OUT!

small form factor is IN!

been away for a minute huh?

no offence but things like fan headers and such are why i keep small pair of needle nose pliers and tweezers around. i wish i could be more help but i can't really tell the difference w/super tower other than they seem to have a basement for the PSU making it taller but not wider than full towers.
No offense taken! I'm curious what you mean when you say small form factor is in. Is this a fashion thing, or is there something more to it? I don't really find much value in following trends for their own sake.

Super towers tend to be wider as well as longer/taller. That's important because otherwise the side fan won't fit in a full tower case with a large CPU heatsink. That's the predicament I'm in right now. And just in general it's easier to move your hand around when changing out components or doing cable management.

My overclock is thanks to the generous assistance of Blameless, who kindly helped a stranger in need.
Helmed Horror
(24 items)
CPU
Intel i7 Haswell-E 5820k (overclocked +21% to 4.0 GHz)
Motherboard
x99 ASUS Rampage V Extreme
GPU
GTX 780 (EVGA FTW, 3GB)
GPU
GTX 780 (EVGA FTW, 3GB)
RAM
4x4GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 2400
Hard Drive
(x4, 4TB ea.) HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO (1TB)
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK
Case
Enermax Thormax Giant
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
LG 29UM65-P (29" 21:9 Ultrawide IPS)
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Vengeance (Cherry MX Blues)
Mouse
Logitech G400S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mass
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Other
Nidec Gentle Typhoon case fans x6 (1850 RPM)
Other
Delta AFB1212HHE CPU fans x2
Other
Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste
Other
Sennheiser HD 600 headphones
Other
Cyberpower 900W UPS (CP1500PFCLCD)
Other
NZXT Hue RGB LED Controller
Other
(3x) WD Elements 4TB external HDD
Other
Audio-GD NFB 12.1 external DAC/amp
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Thermaltake Core W/WP/100/200, ... View 91, ...

https://www.thermaltake.com/chassis.aspx

Nanoxia Deep Silence 5, many HDDs but not huge, 11x3.5" + 4*5.25".

Hard to find anything really in this size on regular sites/shops.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
No offense taken! I'm curious what you mean when you say small form factor is in. Is this a fashion thing, or is there something more to it? I don't really find much value in following trends for their own sake.

Super towers tend to be wider as well as longer/taller. That's important because otherwise the side fan won't fit in a full tower case with a large CPU heatsink. That's the predicament I'm in right now. And just in general it's easier to move your hand around when changing out components or doing cable management.
SFF is getting a shoe box cramming everything into it and making it look nice. it does have several challenges to it that i can appreciate - not saying i want one though.

and i was looking from the side POV not the "front" but ok, i see what you mean. there are cubes that may suffice; where the PSU and HD cages are on the back on the mobo tray. thaty link jackCY posted has similar. (check cube cases on the left)

edit:
opps that are horizonal mobo trays . .i think corsair has some if i check . .

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Ore Wa Gundam

Rep: 187 (Unique: 158)
I've considered a rack, but...

a) The extra space taken up by a super tower compared to a full tower is far less than the space taken up by a NAS rack
b) Why should I have to invest in what's essentially an entirely new computer just because my case manufacturer didn't see fit to add enough 3.5" support?

And I agree, I have no idea what Corsair was thinking with the 1000D's mere five 3.5" support. Baffling.

I think some of the issues here are pertaining to the fact that HDD/SSD capacity has increased, so manufacturers probably assume that most people that purchase their cases will be adopting larger disks and thus need fewer, and using their cases for the sparkles and not want to cram it full of HDDs.
5.25" bays are all but phased out at this point also, taking away the possibility of using that space for 3.5" disks.

My Stryker has room for 8x3.5", so using my current setup of dual bay Fan Controller, BluRay Drive and x6 HDD's it's fantastic. Unfortunately, with the way cases are going and an upgrade itch triggering, I'm going to have to offload some of my disks, even if I increased their capacity to viable means within my budget.

I was considering building a custom NAS from a spare case/CPU. I have a G3258 up in the loft I could probably utilise, or it'd be cheap as chips to get something I can undervolt and that runs efficiently, compared to a ready-made NAS enclosure.

I do hope you find what you're looking for, but do consider that you may have to make alternative plans like myself.

Unicorn SD
(13 items)
Astraea
(8 items)
CPU
l Intel® Core™ i7-5820K l
Motherboard
l MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition l
GPU
l MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G l
RAM
l Corsair Dominator® Platinum (4x4GB) DDR4 3Ghz l
Hard Drive
| Samsung PM951 M.2 PCI-e NVMe 512GB |
Hard Drive
l Samsung 840 Evo 500GB l
Hard Drive
l Toshiba X300 4TB 128MB Cache l
Hard Drive
l Toshiba MD04ACA400 4TB l
Hard Drive
l Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB (x3) l
Hard Drive
l Samsung F3 1TB l
Optical Drive
l Pioneer BDR-209EBK l
Power Supply
l EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850w l
Cooling
l NZXT Kraken X61 (2x Noctua NF-A14-2000-IP67) l
Cooling
l Phobya MaxGuide 6 Controller l
Case
l CM Storm Stryker™ l
Operating System
l Windows 7 x64 Customised. l
Monitor
l LG M2380D 1080p l
Monitor
l Acer Predator XB240H 144Hz G-Sync l
Keyboard
l Logitech G19s l
Mouse
l Logitech G502 l
Mouse
l Razer Vespula l
Audio
l Steelseries Siberia V2 MSI Gaming Edition l
Audio
l Logitech Z506 5.1 l
Audio
l Creative Fatal1ty HS-800 V2 l
CPU
G3258 @4Ghz
Motherboard
MSI Z97I Gaming AC
GPU
MSI GTX 460
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz 8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 128GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Optical Drive
Optiarc 7170S
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 520w Modular
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Cooler Master Elite 130
Operating System
Windows 7 x64
Keyboard
Logitech K400 Wireless Touch
Mouse
Logitech M187
CPU
i5 460m
Motherboard
MSI Intel HM55
GPU
Onboard Intel HD
RAM
Kingston PC3-8500F
RAM
Kingston PC3-8500F
Hard Drive
Toshiba MQ01ABD100H [Hybrid]
Optical Drive
Optiarc AD-7580S
Operating System
Windows 7 X64 nVidia Ed.
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2741 (Unique: 1626)
If 3,5 spaces is all you want the Phanteks Evolv X and its budget version the P600s has room for up to 10 3,5 inch drives
Case only comes with cages for 4 so you have to buy 1-3 more cages from Phanteks if you want to have more than 4 drives

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
Are pretty much all super tower sized cases going to have 10+ expansion slots, or might I find some super tower sized cases with fewer?
there's no need for a case that size unless you're stuffing it full of 2+ GPUs, and 2-4 120.3+ radiators... Not to mention "Super tower" isn't really an accepted form factor, it's just marketing jargon to separate the biggest of the cases from the full tower form factor. As someone with one of the largest PC cases on earth (STH10) I don't recommend going LARGE unless you actually plan to stuff it full of hardware. If not? Save yourself some space and some cash, & use NewEgg to sort by HDD slots. I just picked up a cheep CM case with a glass door that came with 2x 5 slot bays, with room for more.

If not, then go with slightly older mass production full towers. Most of them include 10 HDD slots, with the ability to buy additional bays. The 900D is not unique in this, more like, its one of the last enthusiast tier cases to give folks 3 HDD bays... As most of us just rip them out & toss them in the junk... Not to mention the 900D's structural integrity fails once you remove all those bays, allowing the whole case to flex with ease. You dodged a bullet not going with the 900D. As said above, it's overkill unless you're stuffing it full of multiple GPUs, n a few big radiators.

the enthusiast space is 99% about what looks good, n bays are ugly, so they've gone by the wayside in exchange for FPS increasing LEDs, glass, & garbage OEM fans with more FPS increasing LEDs. Who needs a massive array when you've got RGB?! ammirite?!

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 05-15-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
there's no need for a case that size unless you're stuffing it full of 2+ GPUs, and 2-4 120.3+ radiators... Not to mention "Super tower" isn't really an accepted form factor, it's just marketing jargon to separate the biggest of the cases from the full tower form factor. As someone with one of the largest PC cases on earth (STH10) I don't recommend going LARGE unless you actually plan to stuff it full of hardware. If not? Save yourself some space and some cash, & use NewEgg to sort by HDD slots. I just picked up a cheep CM case with a glass door that came with 2x 5 slot bays, with room for more.

If not, then go with slightly older mass production full towers. Most of them include 10 HDD slots, with the ability to buy additional bays. The 900D is not unique in this, more like, its one of the last enthusiast tier cases to give folks 3 HDD bays... As most of us just rip them out & toss them in the junk... Not to mention the 900D's structural integrity fails once you remove all those bays, allowing the whole case to flex with ease. You dodged a bullet not going with the 900D. As said above, it's overkill unless you're stuffing it full of multiple GPUs, n a few big radiators.

the enthusiast space is 99% about what looks good, n bays are ugly, so they've gone by the wayside in exchange for FPS increasing LEDs, glass, & garbage OEM fans with more FPS increasing LEDs. Who needs a massive array when you've got RGB?! ammirite?!
I've spent countless hours doing further research, and it seems like almost all of the cases that offer 8+ HDD capacity put the HDDs in cages just behind the front intake. The 900D is one of very few that let you put them in a bottom compartment.

There are some more recent cases - like the Thermaltake View 91 - that let you put some behind the mobo tray, but these cases stupidly put glass panels in front of everything.

"Hey, so, you know how we have excellent airflow on this case, right? Well, I was thinking... why don't we ruin that by choking it all off with glass?"
"You're promoted!"

Anyway, another case that lets you put HDDs in a floor compartment is the Cosmos II, but they stupidly put a 200mm fan in the front! Like, hello, case manufacturers, big fans like that have a terrible ability to push air through resistance of any sort. (I say that as if they don't damn well know that already.) You can put a single 120mm instead, but on a case this size that's unacceptable.

"Hey, so, you know how we have the only case on the market with good airflow and high drive capacity? Well, I was thinking... why don't we ruin that by only allowing an intake fan that has no static pressure?"
"You're promoted!"

Soooo, here we are. I feel like my options are:

1) Used 900D (hoping that the person who listed the local ad didn't already sell it. AND hoping that I never need spare parts that are no longer manufactured)

2) 750D or some other equivalent cases that offers 3x3 drive cages (for 9 HDDs + maybe two or three from converting the 5.25" bays), accepting throttled air flow from front intakes having to overcome all that HDD resistance.

Am I, like, the only person on the face of the earth who wants good airflow and actually stores data on a few HDDs? I don't think I'm asking for much...

My overclock is thanks to the generous assistance of Blameless, who kindly helped a stranger in need.
Helmed Horror
(24 items)
CPU
Intel i7 Haswell-E 5820k (overclocked +21% to 4.0 GHz)
Motherboard
x99 ASUS Rampage V Extreme
GPU
GTX 780 (EVGA FTW, 3GB)
GPU
GTX 780 (EVGA FTW, 3GB)
RAM
4x4GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 2400
Hard Drive
(x4, 4TB ea.) HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO (1TB)
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK
Case
Enermax Thormax Giant
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
LG 29UM65-P (29" 21:9 Ultrawide IPS)
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Vengeance (Cherry MX Blues)
Mouse
Logitech G400S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mass
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Other
Nidec Gentle Typhoon case fans x6 (1850 RPM)
Other
Delta AFB1212HHE CPU fans x2
Other
Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste
Other
Sennheiser HD 600 headphones
Other
Cyberpower 900W UPS (CP1500PFCLCD)
Other
NZXT Hue RGB LED Controller
Other
(3x) WD Elements 4TB external HDD
Other
Audio-GD NFB 12.1 external DAC/amp
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Aelius; 05-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
what about the corsair cube?

i think most folks have resorted to external solutions, a home server, or caselab scale cases.

I have both, a home server & a ton of storage in my CaseLabs, but its all 1-2tb SSD, so it takes up very little space.

No reason to run HDD anymore really, SSDs out perform and last longer - so unless its for existing back stock until they die & get replaced...

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in