Dual socket motherboards - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dual socket motherboards

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Dual socket motherboards

Hello,

I'm here to ask about the best cases for Asus Z9PE-D8 WS / Asus Z10PE - Both are CEB / EEB ??? - Which is bigger than X-ATX ???

I've done a few builds but not for the dual socket boards though I have briefly installed one of these boards in an ATX case and the cable management "holes" become covered up.

I've read others have mentioned Corsair 1000 D

What I'm looking for is a case that will 100% work without compromise.

Air cooling only - nothing complicated there - for easy maintenance once it is set up for V2 & V3 Xeon CPU's

Input here most welcome - and needed so the right choice is made.

Most builds I do are single socket but there will be an exception or two made from time to time - !!!! - Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Itchen

Rep: 0
Trooper or Storm Trooper might work.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
I won't do your work for you, you can find all form factors conveniently located in one single page over at wikipedia; a simple comparison between said table and the board dimensions (as listed under 'specifications' in their official page) should answer that.

As to cases, depends.. SSI-EEB (your usual dual socket board) is easier. What EVGA once branded XL-ATX (and has since remained as a 'spec') is much harder.
You can of course have a look yourself for either scenario, but.. much as i hate to recommend anything Thermaltake.. a W/WP-100 or a W/WP-200 is a good choice; not very expensive for its size, fits all and with space to spare.

- for XL-ATXL: If Thermaltake is a no for some reason? There are precious few (and far more expensive) cases that can also really fit everything, but you'd only be paying extra for the bling. See certain older dual chamber Lian Li ones and some InWin ones to get an understanding of the price-tag we're talking about.
- for SSI-EEB (and the reason i'm not recommending one): There are some good ones, but most are older models, so availability is an additional factor; there are even fewer newer ones, but following the retardo-ed trends of millennials today, their focus isn't on superior airflow as much as RGB and nice glass panels so you may stiffle your intake even further! How awesome, i know. Your Corsair 10000000GTI-D-Turbo also fits in this category, money for nothing, glass for free. From all these, precious few are made with true dual socket boards in mind; at worst, they expect two rather than three active coolers inside and are typically made to accommodate just that; this is for air cooling specifically mind you, like you asked for. The Corsair case is meant for dual systems and custom loops (plus bling).

If you're serious about this, go the W/WP 100 or 200 way and call it a day, nice and easy.

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 08-25-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

I have Z10PE-D16 WS in the Silverstone Raven RV04 and it works well in there. It is a bit tall so may have to get long enough cables or extensions and the cooler height is not the greatest either, I went with cheapo cooler master 212s which work fine. Note that in this case you do have to remove the hard drive cage to use EATX (EEB) boards but it still has 2x 3.5" slots after doing so. It is silent when running though which is good.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/raven...l=RV04&area=en

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

Well some cases have too much bling factor - On the whole I'm not into the whole custom loop idea for practical purposes.

I do have an In-Win-GR-ONE - Which is a great case for low cost £60 GBP and after checking it does mention 12" x 13" EEB or what ever it is so this may work as I've looked at the case pics online and it may do it at a pinch with the cable management

Dual socket boards are niche - Like mentioned above I may do one or two but otherwise it's just ATX boards pretty much.....

Anyway - The Thermaltake do have some real big cases which would do but I'll leave these for now.

CoolerMaster have the Cosmos II & Cosmos II Anniversary Edition which will do maybe a little better than the INWIN GR ONE but at a greater cost....quite a bit more cost.

Corsair have the 900 D which isn't made anymore which will do a touch better than the Cosmos II.

So there we have it these are among the best options - Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 14)
Caselabs TX10 should be able to fit one I believe. Good luck finding one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg though.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Caselabs TX10 should be able to fit one I believe. Good luck finding one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg though.
Hi, If this is what you mean then it's way too big !!! - but thanks for mentioning it

https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/...-caselabs-tx10
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dotachin View Post
>>>

Rosewill Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case Cases Thor V2 Black

Thanks - this has possibilities depending on whether the board covers the 2nd row of rubber grommets for the cable management but it looks like it may cover them

The summary: this looks simiar to In-Win GR-One (which may work at a pinch)_with just enough cable management remaining to avoid obstructing the motherboard.

Other than that from what I've seen the best most regular options are Cooler Master Cosmos II & Anniversary Edition & Corsair 900 D.

As I already have In-Win GR-One I can try this to see how it goes - This was under $100 and is a great case for the price.

The Cosmos II & 900 D are lots more expesnive & more premium but if looked after are great cases but cost too much but will do the job very well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK,

Since the other day I've put the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS into an In-Win-GR-One computer case. The board fits with a little room to spare - So for the money - A very good case for this board at a very good (reduced_from initial RRP price).

Sure the other cases mentioned will do better but it fits in.....which leads onto the next things the best cooler to use and I've worked this one out pretty much.

Noctura NH-D15 will be too big to fit two into the case as will the Phantek TC-PH-14 - The le Grande macho is too big on one of the dimensions with excellent clearance for tall heat spreaders on the RAM as long as only one bank of RAM is used like on the enthusiast motherboards such as 1150 Z97 / 1151 Z170 etc.......

I've managed to install 2 X Be-Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - one slight negative is only 1 fan is on each of the coolers is installed but on CPU #2 two could be used - but on CPU #1 only the central fan will fit as the 2nd fan gets in the way of a case fan (HDD fan)--which could be removed but....not for now.

So the Dark Rock Pro 4 is almost a perfect fit -

Next will be the testing of 2 x E5_2690_V2 (cheaper 2nd hand buys) with these coolers.

I know that 114 BCLK can be used although the RAM gets downclocked to 1520 Mhz on this C602 chipset = but this equates to 4 Ghz nearly for single core - and 3.7 Ghz for all cores (unless I've got it slightly wrong)--but it's not a million miles off.

Then the temps can be shared here - roughly --- they may be a bit hotter than the big Phanteks cooler but not much as Dark Rock Pro 4 is rated at 250 W TDP.

The usual test will be P95 26.6 and Passmark and maybe OCCT ----

But good news that the 2 socket board fits into a cheaper big case --- and with good air coolers with 1 fan on each -----

Last edited by fra z; 09-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in