I found out my GPU overheating/case problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I found out my GPU overheating/case problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,547
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
I found out my GPU overheating/case problem

This is more of a thinking out loud post xD


Well, I switched cases from a define R7 to a phanteks p600s for airflow reasons, and idle temps did go down quite a bit, but gaming and stress temps on the GPU haven't changed much, a few C, even after adding aftermarket fans, and now I see why.

First, the R7 isnt an airflow case, that was the first problem, that is now solved.

Two, and this is that part that makes all the difference, is that I'm using a noctua NF D15 CPU cooler. What does a CPU cooler have to do with GPU temps? Everything, in my scenario. The fan hub controls only fan temps on the CPU obviously, and my CPU runs really cool, rarely getting over 45-55c EVER unless I REALLY stress test it, and I have to do that on purpose. The fans are speed set in the BIOS, only ramping up over 50% on rare occasions. 2k RPM fans are idling around 900RPM but never get over 1100 due to CPU cooling efficiency.

Three, I use a 2k monitor. More stress on the GPU while in game while the CPU is still sitting at 35-40c which means the case fans don't ramp up really at all, allowing the GPU to heat up and hit 70-75c+ as the case fans aren't blowing hard enough to provide any backup or relief to the GPU.

I cant change the fan speeds in the BIOS much more than they already are, if I use a tighter fan control, the fans will be ramping up and down constantly even after the slightest temp change to the CPU, and that is not good for the fans.

All the back peripheral slots have been removed as well to maximize airflow as well, but I really didnt see a difference in temps in this scenario.

Aside from a dedicated fan controller to control the bottom fans blowing directly at the GPU, then I dont see a way to alleviate this problem.

Any input on this would be appreciated, maybe there is a different method I can use that I'm not aware of to help these GPU temps in game.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Facepalm
 
Falkentyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riverside
Posts: 8,079
Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dunan View Post
This is more of a thinking out loud post xD


Well, I switched cases from a define R7 to a phanteks p600s for airflow reasons, and idle temps did go down quite a bit, but gaming and stress temps on the GPU haven't changed much, a few C, even after adding aftermarket fans, and now I see why.

First, the R7 isnt an airflow case, that was the first problem, that is now solved.

Two, and this is that part that makes all the difference, is that I'm using a noctua NF D15 CPU cooler. What does a CPU cooler have to do with GPU temps? Everything, in my scenario. The fan hub controls only fan temps on the CPU obviously, and my CPU runs really cool, rarely getting over 45-55c EVER unless I REALLY stress test it, and I have to do that on purpose. The fans are speed set in the BIOS, only ramping up over 50% on rare occasions. 2k RPM fans are idling around 900RPM but never get over 1100 due to CPU cooling efficiency.

Three, I use a 2k monitor. More stress on the GPU while in game while the CPU is still sitting at 35-40c which means the case fans don't ramp up really at all, allowing the GPU to heat up and hit 70-75c+ as the case fans aren't blowing hard enough to provide any backup or relief to the GPU.

I cant change the fan speeds in the BIOS much more than they already are, if I use a tighter fan control, the fans will be ramping up and down constantly even after the slightest temp change to the CPU, and that is not good for the fans.

All the back peripheral slots have been removed as well to maximize airflow as well, but I really didnt see a difference in temps in this scenario.

Aside from a dedicated fan controller to control the bottom fans blowing directly at the GPU, then I dont see a way to alleviate this problem.

Any input on this would be appreciated, maybe there is a different method I can use that I'm not aware of to help these GPU temps in game.
Huh? Just set a direct manual speed for the case fans. What sort of crappy motherboard doesn't allow you to set a FIXED manual fan speed curve?
I can do that for my Noctua Industrial fans on both z390 Aorus master, Z490 master and Maximus 12 extreme.
A motherboard that doesn't allow manual fan speed control should be thrown in the bin and fed to the hounds.
If it's a curve editor or something, just flatten the curve to a straight line with PWM fans. It's easy.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
Falkentyne is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:24 PM
PC Gamer, Drinker, Smoker
 
Mescalit0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Central FL
Posts: 34
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
you can connect any bottom placed fans directly to the motherboard and control it/them separately, leaving the fan hub with it's own curve.
make the GPU-focused case fan(s) blow at a higher RPMs. though to be really effective you may also need to have an exhaust fan also blowing a bit harder.


that's exactly how my Vector RS case fans are arranged.
three front intake fans connected to the case hub and based on the CPU temps with a minimal speed curve,
one bottom-middle intake fan connected to the motherboard blowing directly into the GPU with a more aggressive curve,
and another rear exhaust fan also connected to the motherboard also with a more aggressive curve.


my GPU never exceeds 65° even with the most demanding games @ 3440x1440p using highest settings.

ASUS Strix Z370-E | i7-8700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3200 16GB | EVGA FTW3 GTX 1080 Ti | M2: 480GB \ SSDs: 5.25TB \ HDs: 8TB | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout [5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM] | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Corsair Void Surround | MSI Optix MPG341CQRV | AOC Agon AG271QG | Win 10 Pro x64
Mescalit0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:55 PM
Vandelay Industries
 
maltamonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: US/UK
Posts: 1,780
Rep: 85 (Unique: 63)
They sell the front mesh panel to replace the solid one. I think it's about $20 when available.

you could also change the TP on the gpu.

or even replace the gpu fans with some 120mm ones
maltamonk is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:35 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,833
Rep: 1451 (Unique: 731)
get something like a Raijentek Morpheus II or Accelero Xtreme IV or go the cheaper route like mentioned above and take the shroud/fans off your current card and strap on 120s.

if your motherboard is really that terrible with fan curves and you can't set precise fan curves/set hysteresis use SpeedFan.

if your motherboard does have a temperature hysteresis setting (most made in the past couple generations should) set it to 3-5c and you won't get the constant up/down fan speed problem anymore.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,547
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Huh? Just set a direct manual speed for the case fans. What sort of crappy motherboard doesn't allow you to set a FIXED manual fan speed curve?
I can do that for my Noctua Industrial fans on both z390 Aorus master, Z490 master and Maximus 12 extreme.
A motherboard that doesn't allow manual fan speed control should be thrown in the bin and fed to the hounds.
If it's a curve editor or something, just flatten the curve to a straight line with PWM fans. It's easy.
The mobo does have fan curve settings, they are already set on all the fans. What i'm saying is the CPU stays so cool the fans never get to speed up to help the GPU. I'd have to set the fans to a very short fan curve, like ramp them up 20% every 5c to get any results, and thats not good for the fans.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:39 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
 
TK421's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,981
Rep: 165 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Huh? Just set a direct manual speed for the case fans. What sort of crappy motherboard doesn't allow you to set a FIXED manual fan speed curve?
I can do that for my Noctua Industrial fans on both z390 Aorus master, Z490 master and Maximus 12 extreme.
A motherboard that doesn't allow manual fan speed control should be thrown in the bin and fed to the hounds.
If it's a curve editor or something, just flatten the curve to a straight line with PWM fans. It's easy.

asus boards always force 100% if the [specific temperature source] hits 100% afaik


or maybe it's just the CPU source




had this on X99D, C6H, and C8H

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀


TK421 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Facepalm
 
Falkentyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riverside
Posts: 8,079
Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dunan View Post
The mobo does have fan curve settings, they are already set on all the fans. What i'm saying is the CPU stays so cool the fans never get to speed up to help the GPU. I'd have to set the fans to a very short fan curve, like ramp them up 20% every 5c to get any results, and thats not good for the fans.
Who told you it's not good for the fans?
Fans can run at anything they want as long as it's not too low RPM on voltage controlled fans.
Whoever told you it's not good on PWM fans is lying their butt off and you shouldn't believe anything you hear on the internet.

And why don't you simply do what I said? I feel like you totally ignored what I said.
Set a MANUAL FAN SPEED. Set it so the fans run at a fixed RPM regardless of the CPU speed. It's not hard to do.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
Falkentyne is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 32
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Dunan View Post
The mobo does have fan curve settings, they are already set on all the fans. What i'm saying is the CPU stays so cool the fans never get to speed up to help the GPU. I'd have to set the fans to a very short fan curve, like ramp them up 20% every 5c to get any results, and thats not good for the fans.
Hmm, are you running case fans off the same header and sensor as the CPU cooler? If so, don't do that. Yes, this means you cannot put them on the same fan hub.

If it helps any, with my own setup (3900x, Auros Elite, NH-D15, P600s, 4x 140mm 2k RPM Noctuas) CPU fans are running on one header, directly off the board. Case fans are on the fan hub. Each is controlling RPM based on a different temperature sensor. Putting these on the same fan hub, on the same header, using the same temp sensor, is probably not a good idea. It removes your ability to set their behavior up independently of one another.

If I wanted more fine tuned control I'd remove more fans from the hub and use more headers directly from the board.

To clarify, the rationale here is the CPU cooler cools the CPU, the GPU cooler cools the GPU and case fans move air/in out of the case to help both perform their associated task more effectively/efficiently and cool the remaining components. Incidentally, the preference would be to control those cooling solutions independently from each other.
Iridium31 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,547
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Who told you it's not good for the fans?
Fans can run at anything they want as long as it's not too low RPM on voltage controlled fans.
Whoever told you it's not good on PWM fans is lying their butt off and you shouldn't believe anything you hear on the internet.

And why don't you simply do what I said? I feel like you totally ignored what I said.
Set a MANUAL FAN SPEED. Set it so the fans run at a fixed RPM regardless of the CPU speed. It's not hard to do.
They arent all PWM fans, only 3 are PWM, the other 3 are DC. CPU/back fan are PWM, front 3 are DC 3 pin. Constantly ramping up and down DC fans arent good for the fans.

I didn't ignore anything really, I havent had the chance to work on the PC yet. I know a manual fan speed can be set.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off