The Official Silverstone Case Owners Club - Page 651 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Official Silverstone Case Owners Club

post #6501 of 6503 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
TJ11 newbee question

Hi guys,

I am in a continuing process of doing my first build in a TJ11 case. Great case, love the air flow, design, space. But I have a newbee question, which if any one could help me with would be greatly appreciated. I have never built a pc before.

I have my main system built, thats all great, super quiet and low temps etc. Now I want to install all of my library and back up drives in the bottom of the case but I want to isolate them. To not have them powered on when I don't need them, as I only run secondary back ups once per week and don't often need things from my library. Also I like the extra protection from ransom wear etc of having them powered off most of the time.

My question is can I just run my "occasional use" hard drives in the bottom of the case from a second power supply ie I will just buy and install a second power supply that is only used to power my "occasional use" hard drives ? I would get one with an external switch so I could just flick it to on before powering on the computer. I would also leave all of the drives permanently plugged into my raid controller card. I know there are other ways of doing it, small power switcher units that fit in the 5.25" bays but I don't trust them, I don't want any electronics between my power supply and raid card if I can avoid it.

One other question while I am here. Has any one used the Silverstone AP183 PWM fans ? While the original 3 pin 180s are fine I ponder on running, controling one 180mm PWM AP183 fan from the GPU and one from my CPU, the ones that sit under each of them. Is there any real benefit or is it so negligible its just not worth it.

In time I will post some pictures here however my build does not compare to any of the masterpieces on here. Mine has beige Noctua fans, no watercooling insight and is a mish mash of bits.

Last edited by Mavanti; 09-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6502 of 6503 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavanti View Post
AP183 fan
My advice? If you're keeping this case, buy as many 183s as you need, but don't use them just yet, keep them for a replacement. Buy and not use you'd ask?

- They have a slight performance improvement, but unless you run them relatively high i frankly doubt you're going to notice it (it being why you need not rush replacing them)
- What's always a worry with components that are pretty much brand-exclusive is longevity; what if for whatever reason silverstone discontinues the entire 180mm line? What will you do? Run 140s? What, two of them? There are $60 cases out there that have better airflow potential.. all of a sudden, your chassis isn't really where it was anymore. So given that the cost is small, i'd buy and hoard, because as always in life, you never know

Regardless, you're ---strongly--- recommended NOT to run them from any 'normal' fan header, they draw too much power. Control them from whatever you like, but take care in where/how you're powering them; not a coincidence Silverstone ships them as they do, you can literally fry normal fan headers with them. If your level of knowledge is such that this sounds complicated to you, read and learn (air cooling section here), or stick to using them as they expect you to.

Now as to hard drives; newer hard drives are very quiet and have firmware commands you can run that further improves on that (idle spin to name one among many other noise-related functions). Though most have them activated by default anyway, so nothing a user needs to do (a note here that these come with a slight performance degradation). Also, most hard drives, new or old, are just fine running as is -read: without active cooling- so you shouldn't have to worry about temps either unless you run tasks that, by your description.. you don't. So all good on that front too.
What you only want to ensure is that they're protected from vibrations (dampening, special pads, etc).

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 09-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #6503 of 6503 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
You could put a hot-wired PSU in the second PSU slot and flip it on whenever you need the drives.

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in