[Official] Cooler Master ATCS 840 Owners Club - Page 441 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Cooler Master ATCS 840 Owners Club

post #4401 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I built a fairly high powered computer December 2009 and used this case.

Well now it is a 9 year old computer and it is crashing more and more and getting slow. I feel it is beyond the end of it's life.

I love this case and would like to replace the motherboard, processor, and maybe the memory. However, this computer worked so well for so long I am out of the loop as to what new components I should get.

Here was my build:

EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified A760
i7 920 OC to 4.035GHz
Radeon ATI 5970
Sound Blaster Card
CorsairDominator 12 GB 6 x 2 GB 1600MHz
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (Raid 1)
OCZ Z-Series GOLD OCZ-Z1000 1000W
Cooler Master V8 Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower Case
3x Gateway FHX2300 bmd 23-Inch Widescreen LCD Display

Everything is pretty much the same except I replaced the graphics card with a ASUS Radeon R7 260X 2 GB card mostly to reduce heat and noise that the original Radeon card was throwing off. I also have replaced a few hard drives that died over the years in the Raid array.

This was a nice fast computer that I thought I would do some gaming on but never did and mostly used for business.

So here is my question....

What main board should I buy that would be an upgrade from my current main board, fit in this case, a new processor, and handle my graphics card?

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, so is there a board that has a top notch processor already installed? I won't be overclocking because stock will be fast enough what I do and more stable. Would like to do a partial rebuild that will give me another 5 years.

Also, My Cooler Master V8 Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler seems to be at the end of its life so that needs to be replaced. Suggestions?

I'd like to keep my total cost under $500, else, I'll just go to micro-center and buy one off the shelf.

Thanks for any suggestions!

ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA 1151
Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz
Radeon R7 200
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
1x Gateway 2 Asus 24 inch monitors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4402 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM
OlderBuilder

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

I built a fairly high powered computer December 2009 and used this case.

Well now it is a 9 year old computer and it is crashing more and more and getting slow. I feel it is beyond the end of it's life.

I love this case and would like to replace the motherboard, processor, and maybe the memory. However, this computer worked so well for so long I am out of the loop as to what new components I should get.

Here was my build:

EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified A760
i7 920 OC to 4.035GHz
Radeon ATI 5970
Sound Blaster Card
CorsairDominator 12 GB 6 x 2 GB 1600MHz
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (Raid 1)
Cooler Master V8 Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler
3x Gateway FHX2300 bmd 23-Inch Widescreen LCD Display

Everything is pretty much the same except I replaced the graphics card with a ASUS Radeon R7 260X 2 GB card mostly to reduce heat and noise that the original Radeon card was throwing off. I also have replaced a few hard drives that died over the years in the Raid array.

This was a nice fast computer that I thought I would do some gaming on but never did and mostly used for business.

So here is my question....

What main board should I buy that would be an upgrade from my current main board, fit in this case, a new processor, and handle my graphics card?

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, so is there a board that has a top notch processor already installed? I won't be overclocking because stock will be fast enough what I do and more stable. Would like to do a partial rebuild that will give me another 5 years.

Also, My Cooler Master V8 Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler seems to be at the end of its life so that needs to be replaced. Suggestions?

I'd like to keep my total cost under $500, else, I'll just go to micro-center and buy one off the shelf.

Thanks for any suggestions!

The question I need to ask is: which OS are you running now. If you're running W7 (or 8.1) and don't want to go to 10, then the focus is on the CPU--Intel & AMD made a pack with M$ to only run W10 (without hair pulling hacks) on their latest chips. But this is good news since many of those chips and mobos are cheaper.

post #4403 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Running windows 10

Radeon R7 200
CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4404 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 AM
OlderBuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

Running windows 10

OK, keeping in mind your $500 budget, I'd go with an AMD CPU, either the FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition which has 6-cores going for $84 on Amazon or the FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8300 for $104 again from Amazon. As for motherboards (keeping your 12GB of DDR3 memory) you could go with Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 ($85 on Amazon), ASRock's 970A-G/3.1 for $100 (Amazon) or a used ASUS M5A97 R2.0 for $69. Then you still have some funds left over for a liquid cooler I'd get a Corsair 105 ($100 on Newegg with a $10 rebate) or the H80i v2 Extreme for $90 on Amazon. If you want an Intel chip, I'm not so sure you'll find all you need to fit your budget. Hope this helps.

post #4405 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
My build is from 2011-2012. And plagued by W7 and Firefox crashes. Sometimes a lot, sometimes goes for weeks OK. I should think about new MOBO and CPU+Cooler. But more near term I think a clean install of W& on a new, larger C:OS SSD may improve things. I like W7 and don't really want to adjust to W10. I had to turn off updates because it would hang for days and never finish updating. I followed MS instructions to delete the update log... several times and it didn't work. So I'll start with a clean install.

The idea of a cheap off the shelf computer is a bit appealing in the short run. But a big part of the design scheme with this case was to have a SSD for the OS and programs and ALL data on HDDs in a hot swap bay for backups, and RAID on other HDDs. Without having external drives with the cabling clutter. So ultimately I will rebuild in this case.

I have 24GB RAM in this build which seldom runs over 25% use. But this week I'm working with some 25-30GB graphics files and could see some delays. So max RAM in any new build as well.

OG

post #4406 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post

My build is from 2011-2012. And plagued by W7 and Firefox crashes. Sometimes a lot, sometimes goes for weeks OK. I should think about new MOBO and CPU+Cooler. But more near term I think a clean install of W& on a new, larger C:OS SSD may improve things. I like W7 and don't really want to adjust to W10. I had to turn off updates because it would hang for days and never finish updating. I followed MS instructions to delete the update log... several times and it didn't work. So I'll start with a clean install.

The idea of a cheap off the shelf computer is a bit appealing in the short run. But a big part of the design scheme with this case was to have a SSD for the OS and programs and ALL data on HDDs in a hot swap bay for backups, and RAID on other HDDs. Without having external drives with the cabling clutter. So ultimately I will rebuild in this case.

I have 24GB RAM in this build which seldom runs over 25% use. But this week I'm working with some 25-30GB graphics files and could see some delays. So max RAM in any new build as well.

OG

Sounds a lot like my situation. Although my build is 2009. I have been going through days of multi crashes then everything fine for days. Then crashes. Today I am trying to build out a website and doing some manipulating of photos, I put on a youtube video and boom, crash. I decide no videos, I am shrinking a photo to use on the site, pow, crash. Then it takes 15 minutes for computer to boot up and then things run real slow after boot up. I have had it.

Then I have days like yesterday when I had no crashes.

I don't have malware, virus, outdated drivers.... I have been through all that and am well protected (this is a business computer so I can't afford to have issues). It is definitely a hardware issue IMHO

Yes, a very nice prebuilt computer from Costco or MicroCenter is tempting. But if I can replace my 2009 stuff with 2017 motherboard, memory, and processor for the same price and have a computer that is two or three times as good it is difficult for me to hold off.

BTW - I love windows 10. With a bit of tweaking you can give it the look and feel of Windows 7. I think the key is to keep up with the updates.

Radeon R7 200
CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
post #4407 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 PM
OlderBuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post

OG

It's that time of year, or circumstances call for, "general" housecleaning! Yeah, cleaning the system and doing a clean install of W7 should clear up those crashes. Once you take out the mobo, inspect it for any indications of "burns" or melted spots near the VRAM chip on the back of your board. If it's good to go, then just dust it off and update the BIOS (this may help speed up your LAN connection); clean off the other components and reinstall them. I say this because like you, I'm running W7 also (NOT going W10 due to its infectious telemetry) but I haven't experienced any crashes...so it's not the OS. I do install updates though; I just tell M$ to download them, I check them out, and I install them, not the other way around:thumbsdow...which may help with some of the crashes as well. I use Firefox as well, and I'm on the newest version...it took me awhile to find their CSS, but once I did, it looks just like my "older" versions:thumb:.

As for a CPU cooler, if you want to go liquid, I suggest Corsair's H105 (Newegg has it for $100) or Noctua's NH-D14 for air cooling which Amazon has for $75. Putting on a new cooler will "force" you to clean off that old TIM...I ran into a problem a few years ago due to NOT cleaning the TIM off for over five years! And yes, you need to update your C:/ drive to one a tad larger; Windows collects a lot of stuff as it runs and updates itself. Since they're cheaper today than five or six years ago, I suggest nothing smaller than 500GB for your C:\ drive and put your libraries on a large (500GB-1Tb) D:\ drive, that way you not only have space for M$ to store their stuff, but if you ever have to reinstall again, you won't lose anything.

I've been rebuilding my main system for a few months now with hopes of getting my M.2 ready for W7 by the end of the week...been researching and procrastinating...but it ends this month! Good luck with your cleaning and upgrades.

post #4408 of 4424 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldAMDnew2Intel View Post

It's that time of year, or circumstances call for, "general" housecleaning!

Thanks for all that.

Not THAT long ago (but the months roll by) I did a thorough cleaning and inspection for burn marks etc. Though did not remove TIM. I have a ~500GB SSD sitting here waiting for me to do that clean install of W7.

And yes my design plan in this build going back to 2005 probably was to have NO data on C:drive. ALL data on a separate D:HDD. I actually did that on the older XP computer but it had to be in an external 1TB enclosure. That was after XP crashed on trying to install SP3 and MS could not get me through it and I had to buy a shrink wrapped full retail XP to get up and running. And my data were on that same C:dive. I vowed to never let that happen again.

In 2011 (still on old XP computer) here in the NE we had a freak Halloween snow and the enormous tree over the house split and could have demolished the house and killed me in my bed if it had continued to split. I took the bank books, passport, medication, and D:drive and I split to a neighbor's house. That was one advantage of an external drive. But with the hot-swap bay (in the 840 build) I can take the drive(s) just as easily... although I'd need to install in another computer or an external enclosure.

As an aside, two years ago I bought a brand new, factory fresh XP computer to run older programs and e-mail. It will also boot W7 if need be.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

OG

post #4409 of 4424 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Now that I rebuilt the computer it has lots of cool lights inside. I was looking for a see through side to replace the solid side but they seem to be all sold out.

Radeon R7 200
CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
post #4410 of 4424 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Sandvich

Rep: 7 (Unique: 4)
Yep - windowed sidepanels are long gone for this model. if you want a window, you'd have to make one yourself.

Main rig: LianLi O11D XL | MSI X570 Unify | 3900x| EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | G.Skill 32GB | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 850 Evo 250G, 840 Evo 1TB & 860 Evo 1TB | HX1200 | Custom EKWB cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in