[Official] The CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Scout II Club - Page 2862 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
View Poll Results: What is your Overall Opinion on this case
Great 929 49.84%
Good 574 30.79%
Meh 226 12.12%
Bad 27 1.45%
SUX 108 5.79%
Voters: 1864. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] The CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Scout II Club

post #28611 of 28622 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblade View Post

im still rockin it. nothing has gotten me to change yet besides maybe going 240mm aio. otherwise, new cases nowadays have nothing I want, just "bling rbg" and "bling tempered glass". Im more practical and scout 2 has everything I need still. still one of the best constructed cases, durability is no joke.

Yeah finally getting my money together after all these years and then I discover this series exists, since 2015 in fact.

The RBG seems like too much of a learning curve to set up, I'm old school where I want the lights to come on, and a switch to turn them off. *shrugs*

And the tempered glass thing...it's cool in theory, but, it's glass, easy to break, easy to get broken into. Again, I guess I'm old and set in my ways, but the window on the Scout 2 is just fine to me. Glad I'm not alone. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28612 of 28622 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodimusConvoy View Post

This thread has been quiet for a while. Have people left the Storm Scout/Storm Scout II for a Mastercase?

i almost went with the master case 5. but ended up with the phanteks evolve TG. my new build is an Asus IX Formula, so i wanted a case that supported Aura lighting (and had bling tempered glass). its a good case, but runs warmer then my storm scout 2.
Quote:

Yeah finally getting my money together after all these years and then I discover this series exists, since 2015 in fact.

The RBG seems like too much of a learning curve to set up, I'm old school where I want the lights to come on, and a switch to turn them off. *shrugs*

And the tempered glass thing...it's cool in theory, but, it's glass, easy to break, easy to get broken into. Again, I guess I'm old and set in my ways, but the window on the Scout 2 is just fine to me. Glad I'm not alone. biggrin.gif

the TG version of the case does have an on/off switch for the case lights, i think holding it down turns it on or off and a quick push cycles through like 10 colors.. but if you like Asus motherboards get one with Aura. its software that lets you sync the board, case, ram, and up to 2 other rgb headers. (if you go with Asus graphics cards, you can also sync those as well if they have RGB).

i ended up going with g skill rgb 3200 ram, and i added a phanteks led kit which comes with 2 extra strips that run off of the cases rgb header. meaning i still have 1 rgb header on my board. i put one strip behind the back panel and one along the bottom of the side panel.

http://imgur.com/hqiS0Q5
http://imgur.com/luvHLRQ

i do agree about the scary-ness of tempered glass. i feel pretty scared anytime i have to remove the panel to open it up. i like the new smaller version, its side panel swivel open. they will probably add that to the next revision of the atx version.

i wanted something a little more elegant and a little more grown up. something that would fit in an adults room. i was hesitate on the RGB, thought it might be too flashy. but i keep mine on a solid color and its just under being to bright/flashy in my opinion. the biggest complaint of the phanteks evolve is it is warmer then the storm scout 2. still testing fan configuration for the best airflow. i also wish it had a usb Type c in the front panel.

anyways. i still loved my storm scout 2, just wanted something new for my latest build.
post #28613 of 28622 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney408 View Post

i almost went with the master case 5. but ended up with the phanteks evolve TG. my new build is an Asus IX Formula, so i wanted a case that supported Aura lighting (and had bling tempered glass). its a good case, but runs warmer then my storm scout 2.
the TG version of the case does have an on/off switch for the case lights, i think holding it down turns it on or off and a quick push cycles through like 10 colors.. but if you like Asus motherboards get one with Aura. its software that lets you sync the board, case, ram, and up to 2 other rgb headers. (if you go with Asus graphics cards, you can also sync those as well if they have RGB).

i ended up going with g skill rgb 3200 ram, and i added a phanteks led kit which comes with 2 extra strips that run off of the cases rgb header. meaning i still have 1 rgb header on my board. i put one strip behind the back panel and one along the bottom of the side panel.

http://imgur.com/hqiS0Q5
http://imgur.com/luvHLRQ

i do agree about the scary-ness of tempered glass. i feel pretty scared anytime i have to remove the panel to open it up. i like the new smaller version, its side panel swivel open. they will probably add that to the next revision of the atx version.

i wanted something a little more elegant and a little more grown up. something that would fit in an adults room. i was hesitate on the RGB, thought it might be too flashy. but i keep mine on a solid color and its just under being to bright/flashy in my opinion. the biggest complaint of the phanteks evolve is it is warmer then the storm scout 2. still testing fan configuration for the best airflow. i also wish it had a usb Type c in the front panel.

anyways. i still loved my storm scout 2, just wanted something new for my latest build.

A lot to consider, thanks. But if I ever did RGB, I would do like you, keep it on ONE color and use whatever options it has to cut it on or off from time to time. By the way are you talking about this? The one thing I like about the Mastercase over the Scout 2 is the same thing your case has, the feet. Beyond that, I'm getting the impression its awfully big, plus I'm not willing to give up front bay ports (for optical drives, 3.5 panel controllers, etc). I will admit I like the aesthetic of it, but for now I think I'll stick to the Scout 2. But I will research RGB a bit more so there's that. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28614 of 28622 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

A lot to consider, thanks. But if I ever did RGB, I would do like you, keep it on ONE color and use whatever options it has to cut it on or off from time to time. By the way are you talking about this? The one thing I like about the Mastercase over the Scout 2 is the same thing your case has, the feet. Beyond that, I'm getting the impression its awfully big, plus I'm not willing to give up front bay ports (for optical drives, 3.5 panel controllers, etc). I will admit I like the aesthetic of it, but for now I think I'll stick to the Scout 2. But I will research RGB a bit more so there's that. smile.gif

yeah i keep it purple, and everything turns off when my pc is off. you can set the lights on the motherboard only to stay on when the comp is off (or do other settings when the comp is off). the software has many options, but at the same time simple. 1 click on/off.

Yeah that is the exact case i have in the Anthracite color.

yeah, it seems a lot larger then the storm scout 2. i prpbably could have handled the size, but the 2 things i didnt like. it wasnt Aura compatible and the red outlines around the front. i wanted something neutral to not clash with my RGB.

i did have to give up my 5inch dvd drive bay. i do have a blu ray burner i use very seldom. i ended up buying this adapter. i can pull it out and use my burner whenever i need to. i ended up taping off the opening of the blu ray burner and spray painting the casing of it black (luckily i didnt ruin it, lol. i also added some small rubber feet i had that were for a dock i bought but never used. i wanted if had it out (on my desk), it would look less funky. i could have bought a 5 inch dvd enclosure, but they are like $50, bulky, and ugly.

good luck to your research and future build!
post #28615 of 28622 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney408 View Post

yeah i keep it purple, and everything turns off when my pc is off. you can set the lights on the motherboard only to stay on when the comp is off (or do other settings when the comp is off). the software has many options, but at the same time simple. 1 click on/off.

Yeah that is the exact case i have in the Anthracite color.

yeah, it seems a lot larger then the storm scout 2. i prpbably could have handled the size, but the 2 things i didnt like. it wasnt Aura compatible and the red outlines around the front. i wanted something neutral to not clash with my RGB.

i did have to give up my 5inch dvd drive bay. i do have a blu ray burner i use very seldom. i ended up buying this adapter. i can pull it out and use my burner whenever i need to. i ended up taping off the opening of the blu ray burner and spray painting the casing of it black (luckily i didnt ruin it, lol. i also added some small rubber feet i had that were for a dock i bought but never used. i wanted if had it out (on my desk), it would look less funky. i could have bought a 5 inch dvd enclosure, but they are like $50, bulky, and ugly.

good luck to your research and future build!

Thanks, and thanks for the link! Might be a game changer...

post #28616 of 28622 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

After all these years I'm finally getting the money to get a high-end case (taxes)...and I've fallen in love with *another* case. The Cooler Master CM690 III. I'll have to import it but it seems worth it. I do want to thank everyone who gave me advice on things like fans.

O Storm Scout II. What could have been. Though my dad is in the market for a new computer, I'll show it to him and see what he thinks. You never know.

post #28617 of 28622 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:32 AM
The Masher Of Keys

Rep: 23 (Unique: 10)
You guys are still here? i still have my Scout 2, sadly my Scout 1 was left behind when i moved

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG with a modified interior now, i love it

The Alias 2.0
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair VI hero
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Corsair H150i PRO RGB
Case
Coolermaster C700p
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO x64
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HUA
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Elite
Mousepad
Razer Firefly Cloth Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #28618 of 28622 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 AM
aka PhireSide

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by AliasOfMyself View Post
You guys are still here? i still have my Scout 2, sadly my Scout 1 was left behind when i moved

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG with a modified interior now, i love it
*raises hand*

I still have my Scout 1. There are probably better, prettier cases out there with better airflow and dynamics but I still have lots of love for the Scout

EDIT: Come to think of it, the Scout is the second oldest piece of my build. Accolades for the oldest piece goes to my my Creative SBS 560 from circa 2005.

Visit the Raven Ridge Owners Club [RROC]
Red Baron
(16 items)
Media PC
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-PRO
GPU
Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
RAM
G.skill TridentZ 3200C14 RGB
Hard Drive
Western Digital 2TB Green
Hard Drive
Seagate 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Super Flower Leadex Silver 550w
Case
Cooler Master Storm Scout Mk I
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG D2343
Keyboard
Gigabyte K83 Red
Mouse
Corsair Harpoon RGB
Mousepad
Orico Extra Wide Mouse Mat
Audio
Corsair H1500 USB
Audio
Creative SBS 560
CPU
Ryzen 3 2200G
Motherboard
MSI A320M Gaming Pro
RAM
Kingston 4GB
Hard Drive
OCZ Agility 3
Power Supply
Raidmax RX 500
Cooling
AMD Wraith Stealth
Case
BitFenix Prodigy M
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
Logitech KS360
Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Mouse 2000
▲ hide details ▲
post #28619 of 28622 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM
The Masher Of Keys

Rep: 23 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by Wabbit16 View Post
*raises hand*

I still have my Scout 1. There are probably better, prettier cases out there with better airflow and dynamics but I still have lots of love for the Scout

EDIT: Come to think of it, the Scout is the second oldest piece of my build. Accolades for the oldest piece goes to my my Creative SBS 560 from circa 2005.
I'm going to build a mini media server into the old scout to supplement my 2tb nas lol

I think my oldest piece i have other than my scout 2 is my cpu, and i've only had that since around november i think lol. This current build will last me a long time xD

The Alias 2.0
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair VI hero
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Corsair H150i PRO RGB
Case
Coolermaster C700p
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO x64
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HUA
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Elite
Mousepad
Razer Firefly Cloth Edition
▲ hide details ▲
post #28620 of 28622 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
I gotta say, I still love my Storm Scout 1. I'm upgrading my machine to a new current build, and chose a thermaltake View 31, its effing huge compared to my Stormy! like 2" wider for more cable managment, but I was shocked when I compared them side to side. I'll really miss that handle at the top. I never did do a lan party with it unfortunately because then I would have been able t show off its awesomeness. But still, taking it in to a shop or when I moved 3 times its handle was amazing. Besides the handle, great cable managment and just all around excellent. 4 USB ports where fantastic and you just don't get that enough now adays. Thats one reason I went for the View 31. 2x 3.1 and 2x usb2 ports on the front panel. I'll have to get an external optical drive I guess but either way I was excited about glass sides and going RGB showboating to myself. (Really because I couldn't decided on a colour scheme, green or blue! ) Anyway, this case is going to live on! Either as my spare for backing up a stack of Raptor 10000RPM's in raid that my brother gave me (he gave me 10 1tb 2.5" drives!! 0_o!) or for my land lady's hot daughter with the douchebag boyfriend who spazzed and broke their laptop. Hard to randomly throw this case around!

Ganymede II
(14 items)
Skylab
(11 items)
CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition 955 (C3)
Motherboard
MSI 890FXA-GD70
GPU
Gigabyte HD 6850
RAM
1600 7-8-7-24 G.Skill ECO 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung F3 1Tb 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Light-ON 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
XFX 750 Black edition
Case
Cooler Master Storm Scout
Operating System
Win 7 home 64bit
Monitor
Samsung BX2250 21.5" LED 1920X1080 2MS
Keyboard
LogitecG110
Mouse
Logitec G7
Mouse
coffee table
Other
SSD
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte z370 Gaming 5 wifi, atx
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra gaming
RAM
HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 970 m.2
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w 80+Gold
Cooling
EVGA CLC 280mm
Case
Thermaltake View 31 RGB
Operating System
Windows 10, Home, 64bit
Keyboard
Logitech G110 mechanical gaming keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G7 mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in