[Official] Fractal Design Case Club - Page 1696 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Fractal Design Case Club

post #16951 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by Saiger0 View Post
To those who have the meshify c, what GPU temps do you get? I´ve got a msi 1080ti gaming x and on stock voltage I´m in mid 80´s degrees. My fan setup: 2x silent wings 3s + 1x 120mm stock fan as intake and 1x nf a12x25 + 1x 120 stock fan as exhaust. Tried different fan configs but nothing seem to help to improve those temps.
hey, i'm using msi 1080ti gaming (not X) at stock and my temps hover between 70c - 75c.

i'm using 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 as front intakes (also using Noctua's 140mm to 120mm brackets so that i can position both fans more in line with CPU cooler and the gpu) and Noctua NF-F12 as exhaust on the back (also another NF-A12x25 on the CPU cooler but i don't think that's really relevant)

i'm using custom fan curves for all the fans so those beastly NF-A12x25's only crank up when i'm gaming.

on a slightly related note i found that with a decent cooler and good fans the roof of the case can be covered without any increase in temps, whether its idle or load.

also if you remove the PCI covers from the case your gpu temps could drop by 1c-3c, but i haven't done much extensive testing on whether it really makes a difference since i'm happy with my temps and the potential drop in temps doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

if i had to guess i'd say your silent wings fans and the stock fractal fan aren't good enough in terms of airflow, have you tried putting your NF-A12x25 as an intake, positioned as low as it gets ? those fans move serious amount of air.

Demerzel
(19 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370 PRO
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM
2 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 2tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 2tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Hard Drive
Sandisk 960GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Cooling
Noctua NH U12S
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Topre Realforce 88UB
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mouse
Perixx DX-2000
Audio
Grace Design m920
Audio
Genelec 8330
Other
Xbox Elite Controller
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by elzhi; 02-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Professional Lurker

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by soloman02 View Post
I'm really liking the Meshify C for my next build (A Ryzen 3000 series build to replace my ancient Sandy Bridge and CM690 case).

Can you install two 140mm fans and a 120 in the front? I also have 2 3.5mm HDD's for storage outside of the SSD so will that limit my ability to have 3 120mm fans (or the proposed 2 140mm and 1 120mm)?

I strictly air cool so no consideration is needed for radiators.
2x 140mm and 1x 120mm is possible in the ATX version. 3x 140mm is plausible but it'll be a tight squeeze. 140s here are be quiet Silent Wings 3 High-Speed, and one of the stock Fractal fans.

Iterated
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI B450M MORTAR
GPU
XFX RX 480 GTR
RAM
Team Group Vulcan
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (Black)
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG
Operating System
Win
Mouse
Logitech G703
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Other
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140 High-Speed
▲ hide details ▲
post #16953 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by elzhi View Post
hey, i'm using msi 1080ti gaming (not X) at stock and my temps hover between 70c - 75c.

i'm using 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 as front intakes (also using Noctua's 140mm to 120mm brackets so that i can position both fans more in line with CPU cooler and the gpu) and Noctua NF-F12 as exhaust on the back (also another NF-A12x25 on the CPU cooler but i don't think that's really relevant)

i'm using custom fan curves for all the fans so those beastly NF-A12x25's only crank up when i'm gaming.

on a slightly related note i found that with a decent cooler and good fans the roof of the case can be covered without any increase in temps, whether its idle or load.

also if you remove the PCI covers from the case your gpu temps could drop by 1c-3c, but i haven't done much extensive testing on whether it really makes a difference since i'm happy with my temps and the potential drop in temps doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

if i had to guess i'd say your silent wings fans and the stock fractal fan aren't good enough in terms of airflow, have you tried putting your NF-A12x25 as an intake, positioned as low as it gets ? those fans move serious amount of air.
Thanks for the suggetion. AMybe wits the static pressure of the a12x25 that will make a difference. I have tried a a14 on as intake on 100% speed and it barely made a difference though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16954 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Dont waste your money on changing from one of the best fans to one of the best fans. It won't make any difference. In fact noctua (at least the a14 and a15) at high RPM, have a really annoying sound mark, where silent wings have a very pleasing one. Noise and performance levels are within margin of error.

If u wanna fix your GPU thermals without changing the case, the cheapest solution i see, is to mod your GPU with 2x120mm fans. I'll do this myself for mine, in the near future, when I'll change some hardware in the PC.

Extra static pressure won't do anything for case fans. You see, static pressure is to push the heat from hot spots. The fan needs to be very close and perpendicular to the hot spot. In this case scenario the blow from the intake and the GPU are parallel. Pushing the same amount of air with more force and speed bellow the GPU, it will make even harder for the fans of your GPU to grab some air from the intake "stream".

Last edited by Shenhua; 02-06-2019 at 05:32 AM.
post #16955 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
Dont waste your money on changing from one of the best fans to one of the best fans. It won't make any difference. In fact noctua (at least the a14 and a15) at high RPM, have a really annoying sound mark, where silent wings have a very pleasing one. Noise and performance levels are within margin of error.

If u wanna fix your GPU thermals without changing the case, the cheapest solution i see, is to mod your GPU with 2x120mm fans. I'll do this myself for mine, in the near future, when I'll change some hardware in the PC.

Extra static pressure won't do anything for case fans. You see, static pressure is to push the heat from hot spots. The fan needs to be very close and perpendicular to the hot spot. In this case scenario the blow from the intake and the GPU are parallel. Pushing the same amount of air with more force and speed bellow the GPU, it will make even harder for the fans of your GPU to grab some air from the intake "stream".
Yea I guess the best/cheapest solution would be to change the case in the near future. I though about putting a aio on my gpu but that might be a little bit too much.
post #16956 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Saiger0 View Post
Yea I guess the best/cheapest solution would be to change the case in the near future. I though about putting a aio on my gpu but that might be a little bit too much.
The 120mm fan mod will give similar performance for 4-5times lower price.

And if u change the case, considering the GPU you have, you will need to get a spacious one. That's why, at least for me it's not an option, and I'll rather cope with the case i have since there's no other option (just a lot of equal ones).

Define S with 3x140mm it's incredibly good for the GPU u have. My brother has the define S and a 1070ti gaming x, and it's getting bellow 70°C with 1400rpm on it. I know the 1070ti has a much lower power draw, but it also has a much slimmer radiator on it.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
post #16957 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
^ With an OC'd reference cooler GTX 680 which is a hot running card I never saw temps past 72c in my define s. The cooling was good enough I removed two fans and just used 2x140mm intakes for the whole system. Worked great and was always quiet.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #16958 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Got my new 9600k build set up in the Fractal Design Define Mini C based on HZCH's setup that I quoted on the last page. I love it. It's a huge upgrade coming from my Corsair 250d. For one, the 1080Ti actually fits without me worrying about breaking it And the overall design is noticeably quieter. I'm tempted to even replace my Corsair 450d desktop build with one of these because I'm now realizing how much of an eye-sore the dust filter is on the front of the 450d. Was really a breeze to build in. Now I'm ordering one of those Morpheus II coolers now that I have all that extra space Excited to have a silent GPU

EDIT: One thing I was curious about if anyone knew...

Assuming that I'm using the same fan and that I'm adjusting both setups to the same volume - which moves more air? 3x120mm front fans or 2x140mm front fans? I've read a lot of different arguments for both but it's never very scientific because they're never controlling for sound volume (which to me seems like the obvious way to compare the desirability of the fan).

Last edited by t1337dude; 02-07-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #16959 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I do have one 3.5 hdd installed on normal place but this has rubber mounts from what I remember.

The two fans are securely mounted, it's like the front grill is loose which it is not.

Thanks
Does the noise go away if you remove the bottom filter?
post #16960 of 17166 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractal Design View Post
Does the noise go away if you remove the bottom filter?
I opened the case up and went through everything and it all looked fine so I close the case and tested again and the noise disappeared so it must have been something loose in the case.

Thank you for getting back to me and it's good to see actual manufacturers supporting their products.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

Server Qnap 871 Pro i7 / 16GB ram 10TB x 8 in Raid 5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in