Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Heat from CPU (W)

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
jrs
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Nice program however it is not very accurate. The problem is, the voltage you set in BIOS never reaches your CPU. This is caused by Vdroop. Also, your formula will not produce an accurate value because:

A. The TPD is not the amount of heat that a C2D puts out, however, it is the amount of heat the cooler is expected to dispell. The C2D may really put out 40 watts or even less.
B. The processors Mhz has no correlation to heat output, as far as I am aware.

Now if you could measure the Amps and voltage going to the CPU, you could calculate CPU wattage.
The program may not be extremely accurate, but it isn't bad for approximations.

A. TDP represents the maximum amount of heat the cooling solution is expected to dissipate(as you said). The figure is high by default from the manufacture because the processor will never reach that heat level? So I guess the program doesn't calculate the total amount of heat, but maybe just how much the heatsink will have to dissipate in order to keep the chip in an acceptable temp range.

B. Raising the clock speed of a chip will increase its thermal output even if there is no increase in the voltage. I have seen an explanation for it but at the moment I can't find one .

Thanks for the input

~jrs

Watercooling smile.gif
via aqua 1300, bonnie heatercore, and Apogee