CPU FAN ERROR on startup! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

CPU FAN ERROR on startup!

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Just completed my new PC build, however as soon as turn on the pc it come up with the following error:

CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to run setup.

In the bios its says theres something wrong with the some of the other fans.Picture shows.

I've checked the whole fans in the case, and they are all working fine. please note that the motherboard is Asus P8Z77 PRO, and the CPU is i7-3770k

The cooling system on the CPU is corsair H100.

http://screencast.com/t/YXbeZrfgqG44
Help Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 107)

Have you tried using a program like HWMonitor to check the RPM of the fans and your temps? it's probably just the fans spinning slower when your system starts than the minimum RPM warning threshold, there should be an option in your BIOS to lower the minimum or disable the warning completely if you've already checked temps and everything seems fine.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Security+, CCNA Routing and Switching

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
you more than likely have pluged the fan into your motherboards second cpu fan plug or a normal fan plug not your cpu one.

check your manual for specs, you should plug the h100 into the first cpu fan plug

edit: I think it is the plug on the right on your mobo

Snorkle.gif Official Corsair Hydro Series Club Snorkle.gif

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Is the fan plugged into the Mobo or the PSU? On my Asus p6x58d-e I was getting that when my CPU fan was plugged into my fan controller alone and not the fan controller and Motherboard. you can change Bios to not report that if you dont wanna open her up, you can also have Bios skip the f1 on error command.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 550 (Unique: 398)
I agree with the others, try checking which fan port you have it plugged into. Also you can try going into bios and under Advanced Bios go to MONITOR section. Have a look in there and see if theres an option for CPU FAN ERROR or similar sounding (sorry ive not been in my bios for a while).

TRy turning these fan warnings off so that it continues regardless when booting.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks for all the quick answers. I copyed the format of my question off an earlier thread and didnt change it to say that its a hyper 212 evo. I can change the warning low speed limit but its worrying that they are all spinning too low or should I just turn it down.

Temps are around 28 degrees celcius just sitting in the bios for 15mins doing nothing.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padday View Post

Thanks for all the quick answers. I copyed the format of my question off an earlier thread and didnt change it to say that its a hyper 212 evo. I can change the warning low speed limit but its worrying that they are all spinning too low or should I just turn it down.
Temps are around 28 degrees celcius just sitting in the bios for 15mins doing nothing.

where is the fan plugged into? thats fine for idle in bios

Snorkle.gif Official Corsair Hydro Series Club Snorkle.gif

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.”
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
idk if you read the responses yet but, that means you didnt plug the CPU fan in to the CPU FAN labeled connector on your motherboard. just sayin.

Previous CPU (i5 3570k) Overclockhttp://valid.canardpc.com/2575459

Current CPU (i7 3770k) Overclockhttp://valid.canardpc.com/2600445
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 86)
I believe I got that error a while ago, and it was because I hadn't plugged in the CPU fan in the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7412 go_quote.gif
SLI is great, during the summer months when it's really hot (I don't have AC) I can take one of my cards out and it greatly reduces the heat from my PSU and the extra video card
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 28)
Disable Low Fan RPM threshold in BIOS.

Simple as that.

Your BIOS is configured to give an alarm at post if your CPU fan is under a certain threshold. That threshold might be 1000RPM or whatever, and your CPU fan starts up slower than that (perfectly normal, and common). It's designed to tell you when your CPU fan craps out on you, and if it makes you nervous to completely disable it, you can set it to something lower, like 200RPM or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in