Stuck in BIOS! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Stuck in BIOS!

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
SirFlamenco Level 1

Stuck in BIOS!

Hi! I recently did a clean install on my pc, and everything went well, but I saw I had an outdated BIOS version so I decided to update it using Gigabyte’s Q-flash. Then, something weird happened when it finished. It rebooted 2 times, but couldn’t go to windows and left me at the bios. No biggie, I thought. I took out the usb card for the bios and the windows 10 disc I used for the clean install because I thought I wouldn’t need them. I retried booting to windows but it still didn’t work.

I then tried to install the usb card and the disc to give me as many boot options as possible, but all of them only try to boot for 2 seconds and then they come back at the boot menu/bios. I couldn’t resintall windows, and someone told me it’s because windows will not work when the bios is corrupted. So my question is, how do I get to boot to Windows? Were there any automatic backups I could use?

Edit : I have a 4tb hard drive with a 32gb optane. I used a 16gb usb drive to install windows. My motherboard is a Gigabyte z370 AORUS gaming 5. Here is a video of what happens when I try to load each boot options :

Last edited by SirFlamenco; 12-27-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by SirFlamenco View Post
Hi! I recently did a clean install on my pc, and everything went well, but I saw I had an outdated BIOS version so I decided to update it using Gigabyte’s Q-flash. Then, something weird happened when it finished. It rebooted 2 times, but couldn’t go to windows and left me at the bios. No biggie, I thought. I took out the usb card for the bios and the windows 10 disc I used for the clean install because I thought I wouldn’t need them. I retried booting to windows but it still didn’t work.

I then tried to install the usb card and the disc to give me as many boot options as possible, but all of them only try to boot for 2 seconds and then they come back at the boot menu/bios. I couldn’t resintall windows, and someone told me it’s because windows will not work when the bios is corrupted. So my question is, how do I get to boot to Windows? Were there any automatic backups I could use?
Reconfigure the boot device.
GBT installed windows should appear as "windows boot manager: xyz".

Did you install windows from GBT or MBR? MBR is legacy.
You may to reconfigure CSM support.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
SirFlamenco Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Reconfigure the boot device.
GBT installed windows should appear as "windows boot manager: xyz".

Did you install windows from GBT or MBR? MBR is legacy.
You may to reconfigure CSM support.
Thanks for the response. I have tried both with and without CSM. I also reseted the BIOS with a screwdriver. I edited my OP to show what happens when I try loading the boot options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net
Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road Falkentyne is on a distinguished road

I don't know how to help you. Sorry.
You PM'd me asking to reply. So here's your reply.
But what am I supposed to do? i don't own this motherboard nor have I ever encountered nor even seen such a problem. Most I've ever heard of are people installing windows to MBR formatted drives and trying to boot to GBT which fails. So anything I say is either going to be wrong or not working. Looks like you have the same drive (Some seagate thing?) shown as both as boot manager and as a normal drive. Looks like your windows install didnt work right.

I say you just reinstall windows from USB or DVD. I can't do more for you. Sorry. I'm not an OS person.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
retrogamer999 Level 1

have you tried downgrading the BIOS? what about trying to boot a Linux Live DVD or something
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:16 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about mattliston has a spectacular aura about

I had a very similar issue recently on an intel X99 setup while experimenting with different drives and such.

I ended up shutting down, removing all drives (sata/usb/m.2), clearing CMOS by switching PSU off, removing battery, and also pressing and holding CLR CMOS button for 10 seconds.

Restor power, boot into BIOS.

load optimized defaults, save and exit.

boot into BIOS, adjust date and time.

find BOOT tab, look under setup mode for a button called SECURE BOOT.

you want to clear/unload/delete all the keys.

You should see things like PK, KEK, DB, etc..
BEFORE DOING THIS---- MAKE SURE you have an option up top called "INSTALL DEFAULT KEYS"

If you have this option, go ahead and on each key spot, press the delete otpion.

After done, hit install default keys.

F10, save and exit.

while back in BIOS, verify there are keys present in the boot section you just were in. If all good, hit power button to shut down.

Toss your drives back in, and see what happens.

You may need to play with the BOOT menu in BIOS to restore booting ability. maybe UEFI only, or find something like "both Legacy and UEFI"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast
ozlay is on a distinguished road ozlay is on a distinguished road ozlay is on a distinguished road

Your board also has dual-bios you could try switching to the backup bios.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(11 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Galax HOF
Hard Drive
850 pro
Hard Drive
960 Pro
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
Intel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in