Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - How to: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM
brettjv
Retired Staff

Rep: 1156 (Unique: 763)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arni90 View Post

While it certainly is nice to monitor CPU usage, it's ultimately useless to determine bottlenecks as windows likes to assign processor load across several cores and Amdahl's Law and Hyperthreading makes things even more complicated. Short story, CPU usage is useless to determine processor bottlenecks unless you're running a single core without hyperthreading.
GPU Usage, on the other hand, is a lot more informative as a non-99% usage indicates a PCIe/CPU-bottleneck (which with todays CPUs means the same thing: swap processor for better performance.)

1000x THIS. Man I wish I didn't have to explain this over and over to people on these boards thumb.gif

However, the TOTAL cpu usage % can be somewhat useful if you know for certain how many cores a game is coded for. I.E. if you have 4 cores, and you know the game is coded for only 2, and you see usage pegged at 50% total on a quad-core ... it's pretty well indicative that there could be CPU BN going on. However the converse is not necessarily true ... can't rule out a CPU BN just cause you're not at 50%, IOW.

Also I should point out there's other bottlenecks that can cause <99% usage aside from CPU/PCIe. Could also be a lack of system RAM, for example. Additionally, the BN can even be internal to the card itself, such as by over-saturation of memory subsystem bandwidth, or vram capacity being tapped out, in the particular gaming scenario at hand. And driver or game bugs can also cause it ... through various mechanisms like causing excessive texture swapping or causing a lot of cache misses to occur thumb.gif

Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Nano-based) With Samsung OC'ing in Progress!
CPU
xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht) Gen 1 I7 Baby!!!
Motherboard
rampage iii extreme
GPU
Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Samsung) Stock Bios For Now!
RAM
3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 ([email protected]600MHz)
Hard Drive
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb spinpoint (bu)
Optical Drive
plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive ever
Power Supply
abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w
Cooling
corsair h8o v2 aio
Case
silverstone rv-03
Operating System
W10 home
Monitor
LG Ultrawide QHD 21:9 Curved IPS Monitor 3440 x 1440 AMD FreeSync