[CODE] tags not working as they should - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CODE] tags not working as they should

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 509 (Unique: 309)

Reproducibility:

Yes, using both the BBC and RT editors.

Repro Steps:

Just have a large chunk of text, and bookend it with the [code] tags in the BBCE, or use the "formatted" option in the RTE, as below:

2.png

And example of what happens is shown in this post:
https://www.overclock.net/t/813932/infinity/2200_100#post_15650907

As you can see, the whole block of text is just formatted.

Also, it colours in the text, which is what the [PHP] tags should do.

Expected:

I expected the [CODE] tags to contract the whole block of text into a small box, as it did in vB. One which would allow you to scroll through it, but wouldn't take up as much space as the whole text.

It "should" also keep all the text as black, not multicoloured. I say "should" since that's how we've been used to it on vB. But we don't need the [CODE] and [PHP] tags to essentially do the same thing, so a change would be beneficial; [CODE] for blocks of text (like logs), and [PHP] for actual code. Or vice-versa, if you must.

Notes:

I realise that the "fomatted" option in the RTE isn't necessarily the same, but it does the same thing as the [CODE] do in the BBCE. So if this does get fixed, please don't forget to extend that to the BBCE. I don't want to have to report this again.

URL:

https://www.overclock.net/t/813932/infinity/2200_100#post_15650907

Or any other large block of text using the [CODE] tags.

I was not fired. sozo.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 589 (Unique: 377)
My personal feeling here is that the CODE BBCode should retain the added feature of syntax highlighting. The vB implementation with PHP tags supported syntax highlighting for PHP, but nothing specifically tailored for other languages, which is what the smart syntax highlighting here should be doing.

Perhaps the better alternative (bug nonwithstanding) would be to consider a feature request for a LOG BBCode tag, that drops a large block of text into a scrolling box in the same way that the vB CODE tags did? That way folks actually using the CODE tags for code don't miss out on the new features with smart syntax highlighting, but, people who need to post large log files or other big blocks of unformatted text can do so without extending post height to ridiculous levels.

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 509 (Unique: 309)

Well the colour formatting was more of an afterthought; the bigger issue is that it doesn't contract the text. So a block of text and/or code posted normally, and posted in [CODE] tags will both take up the same amount of space.

I was not fired. sozo.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in