Unsolicited Threadloom Weekly Digest e-mail - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Unsolicited Threadloom Weekly Digest e-mail

post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 AM
771on775 user,Complainer

Rep: 91 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
More pertinently, could those affected name the options they had enabled in their profiles? So the rest of us may be informed please?

(asking because initially i had everything at default, hadn't even occured to me that along with the change settings would be reverted; mail from administrators for example was 'on', along with everything else. Even so, i seem to have escaped this somehow)

LOL, I just heard about this today, found the emails in my spam folder(I rarely even ck it) here's what I had enabled.Receive Email from Administrators

Receive a monthly newsletter from Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 AM
771on775 user,Complainer

Rep: 91 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
So, people not in a region where GDPR applies are going to have their requests to not be spammed ignored? VS's decision to require people to opt out if they don't want it (and often ignoring those requests) instead of letting them opt in if they do want to receive them was despicable!

I agree with the sentiment!

You have to admit,the actual mail is in fitting company for Vertical Scope mail...

example = "Say Goodbye to Sleepless Nights!" "Re: Hello My Good friend..." "Trending post From Overclock.net!" "Burn Fat And Loose Weight!" "96% Of HERPES Sufferers NEVER get another outbreak after doing THIS" "Trending Post from Overclock.net!"

Which 1 was I supposed to save????????????? They ALL seem so,so, EXCLAMATORY!!!!!!!
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 64)
I believe that unwanted emails should be reported to spam blocker/providers so that they are blocked on a global level. Thousands and thousands of these and, well, perhaps their emails/system will stop working altogether. Why should we wait for them to fix it when we can force them to address the issue because they are now globally blacklisted and not a *single* email will go through now?

Just my 2c.

It just so happens my buddy is senior engineer at a global company who oversees lists like this ... Should we be considering the nuclear option until it’s fixed? Hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
A check of the header in the latest spam from threadloom.news reveals the IP address of the offending mail server is registered to sendgrid.net, another spammer.

Fortunately, since I am responsible for the mail server that receives my email, threadloom.news has new been added to sendmail’s access.db so threadloom.news sourced email no longer even reaches the server. No backscatter, no email.

The number of users that use this mail server is small by some standards so it is very easy to block offending spam sites right at the front door and wait for complaints from the users to see if it needs to be opened up. In this case I do not think I have to worry.
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
Unless it went to gmail spam I didn't get any after unsubscribing.
Gmail might automatically send emails to spam after you click the unsubscribe link in them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
So, people not in a region where GDPR applies are going to have their requests to not be spammed ignored? VS's decision to require people to opt out if they don't want it (and often ignoring those requests) instead of letting them opt in if they do want to receive them was despicable!
That's how I read that as well, and how I've interpreted a lot of the GDPR stuff so far. It seems they're willing to do what I assume is a lot more work just to treat EU vs non-EU users differently instead of simply applying the same standards to everyone. As if we really needed more evidence of how despicable these companies are.

Quote: Originally Posted by Odyn View Post
I believe that unwanted emails should be reported to spam blocker/providers so that they are blocked on a global level. Thousands and thousands of these and, well, perhaps their emails/system will stop working altogether. Why should we wait for them to fix it when we can force them to address the issue because they are now globally blacklisted and not a *single* email will go through now?

Just my 2c.

It just so happens my buddy is senior engineer at a global company who oversees lists like this ... Should we be considering the nuclear option until it’s fixed? Hehe
This was my exact thought. Everyone should simply set up a filter in their email to automatically forward these to [email protected] and they can also report it to SpamCop. The FTC and ISPs will be inundated with reports and will be forced to take action against these corporations/people that have zero respect for us.

By the way, I've also been getting these from at least one other forum (AVSForum). Completely unacceptable.
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Perennial Noob

Rep: 20 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by vertigo220 View Post
By the way, I've also been getting these from at least one other forum (AVSForum). Completely unacceptable.

You probably know this already, but AVSForum is another VerticalScope property. If you look at what happened to their content and their traffic when they got acquired, you can get a good idea of what the future holds in store for us here at OCN.

Esmeralda
(25 items)
Eldorado
(23 items)
Overkill HTPC
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-6850K
Motherboard
RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal)
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal)
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-1200XP3 PLATINUM
Cooling
EK-FC GeForce GTX FE Copper/Plexi Water Block (For GeForce 1060/1070/1080/1080Ti/TitanX Pascal and Titan Xp) -Nickel/Plexi Change
Cooling
EK-FB ASUS R5-E10 Monoblock RGB Edition
Cooling
Aquacomputer D5 Pump Mechanics USB with Aquabus (x2)
Cooling
EKWB EK-XTOP Revo D5, Plexi (x2)
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150
Cooling
Black Ice SR2 420 radiator
Cooling
Alphacool X-flow Nexxxos 420 radiator
Cooling
Noctua SSO2 Bearing Fan NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM (x6)
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 Pro
Case
HexGear R80 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift 24
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Green)
Mouse
Corsair Sabre RGB 10,000 DPI
CPU
i7 4790k
Motherboard
Asus Z97-Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti SC ACX2.0
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX980 Ti SC ACX2.0
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST
Power Supply
Corsair AX 1200i
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO nickel-plexi
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center compression fittings (gold)
Cooling
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT crystal clear
Cooling
EK-FC Titan X - Nickel (x2)
Cooling
Alphacool 140mm
Cooling
Aquaero 6 Pro
Cooling
Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 280 mm
Cooling
Black Ice GTS 280 x 60
Cooling
aquacomputer d5 pump mechanics with usb and aquabus interface (x2)
Cooling
Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top - POM Version
Cooling
Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Pump Mod Top S Model - Acetal
Cooling
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Inline Reservoir (true brass version)
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Keyboard
Razer Ultimate
CPU
core i5 6500
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Gene
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 PRO -Series 256GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P256BW
Optical Drive
Pioneer Electronics Internal Blu-Ray Writer (BDR-2209)
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050 Watt Gold
Cooling
EK Coolstream SE 240
Cooling
EK Coolstream SE120
Cooling
Swiftech MCP655 PWM
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 Pump Top/Reservoir - Acetal
Cooling
EK-FB ASUS M8G Monoblock - Nickel
Cooling
EK-FC Titan X/GTX980 Ti Waterblock - Nickel
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center Hardline Compression Fittings, 1/2" x 5/8"
Cooling
Monsoon PETG Hardline Tube 1/2 x 5/8
Cooling
EK-Vardar F4-120 (2200rpm) High Performance Liquid Cooling Fan
Case
Steiger Dynamics LEET Chassis
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
▲ hide details ▲

post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:05 AM
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by jvillaveces View Post
You probably know this already, but AVSForum is another VerticalScope property. If you look at what happened to their content and their traffic when they got acquired, you can get a good idea of what the future holds in store for us here at OCN.
I cannot speak for AVS but our poor migration aside, we will be doing the opposite of AVS. While VS owns certain properties this does not bare reflection on how the communities are managed internally which has the greatest affect on community success, I have seen it over and over again.

post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 174 (Unique: 119)
Is anyone else still getting these? I noticed that I started getting them on 27/02/2019 (AEDT). I got my third one today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in