Xtremegamer vs Titanium HD - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xtremegamer vs Titanium HD

post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 77)
I hope your planning on adding a headphone amp to your ExtremeGamer for both the AKG 701 and DT880 250ohm because both will benefit from one and has nothing to do with volume but they work better with one then without one.

Edit: Johnny Doe that only applies to the direct sound hal which isnt in vista/7/8. OpenAL was not effected. X-Fi cards still do their hardware acceleration but thru openAL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Doe;14979975 
Have you considered an Auzen or an HT Omega? Creative's advantage is hardware acceleration but that's a bit moot on W7. I tested my Elite Pro on XP, aging really affects the caps used on CA2K cards. Even if it's in new condition, cap choice isn't suited for audio usage. I don't see why anybody would use an XtremeGamer for music. There's no reason to keep on using one except for gaming on XP.
Some of us don't have enough money to buy a new sound card, Johnny Doe.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by admflameberg;14979999 
Edit: Johnny Doe that only applies to the direct sound hal which isnt in vista/7/8. OpenAL was not effected. X-Fi cards still do their hardware acceleration but thru openAL.

That's whу it's moot. wink.gif X-Fi chips reallу onlу shine on EAX/Alchemу, which is obsolete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Doe;14980146 
That's whу it's moot. wink.gif X-Fi chips reallу onlу shine on EAX/Alchemу, which is obsolete.
Yeah, well I'm still getting the same audio performance/quality in Windows 7 that I enjoyed in XP and I have an XtremeGamer.

So regardless of whether or not they truly shine in EAX/ALchemy, I am still enjoying my sound card quite a bit.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Doe;14980146 

The problem is people think EAX died when Direct sound hal was taking out. In fact it never died. It just done in openAL instead. Games that uses openAL are either openal+EaX or openAL+EFX. EFX is open source and suppose to do all what EAX can do. Unreal engine 3 games uses Openal+EAX and detects the highest the card supports and uses that. But yea in Direct sound hal Eax is dead but not with openal like some people believe. It just you dont see the logo for it any more in games.

I know Unreal engine 3 does openAL+EAX when openAl is enable as the game didnt sound the same to me when I was playing UT3 on the STX I had prior to this X-FI HD. But before you say it, that wasnt why I in up with this X-FI HD it was a totally different reason.

The only reason to use Alchemy is when you have a game that is not native openAL and is looking for Direct sound hal, people still have games that are not openAL that they play that they wanna use EAX3-4 in.

post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 127 (Unique: 112)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenesis;14979899 
Since not many people are providing alternatives/negative feedback I guess its a green-light to buy the HDs?

I bought an HD and two Xonar STXs. Neither sounded better than my Realtek ALC889. I have 250 ohm DT 990 PROs now. I never got to try them with the STXs, but with the Titanium HD and the FiiO E7 that I had, there was no difference. Before I sold my FiiO E7 I went to an audiologist and an otolaryngologist. Both said there was nothing wrong with my hearing. For me it was wasted effort, but after months of reading the propaganda on this forum, the experience is invaluable. Go out and get it, just make sure it's from a place where you can return it. Fry's Electronics will price match with Amazon and they're easy to make returns to.

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by admflameberg;14980201 
Actually most people think EAX died when Direct sound did. But it didnt, it still used in openAL games. Just some openAL games uses EFX instead. Then unreal engine 3 uses OpenAL+EAX but uses which ever the highest that is detected. Most times you just dont see the EAX logo that your used to, but when a game uses openAL then most times it a OpenAL+EAX other times its a openAL+EFX game, EFX can do all what EAX can do and is open source.

The only reason to use Alchemy is when you have a game that is not native openAL and is looking for Direct sound hal, people still have games that are not openAL that they play that they wanna use EAX3-5 in.

Of course, but I don't. The thing is, you CAN render OpenAL through software on any sound chip. Just as good, if not better depending on your component choice. Plus, UE3 doesn't use EAX library. There're no EAX effects.

Also, you should use Alchemy instead of OpenAL on a Creative chip because the card only then can show off it's real potential. Compare any OpenAL game to one with EAX, on an X-Fi chip. The EAX game clearly sounds better.

post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuad;14980276 
I bought an HD and two Xonar STXs. Neither sounded better than my Realtek ALC889. I have 250 ohm DT 990 PROs now. I never got to try them with the STXs, but with the Titanium HD and the FiiO E7 that I had, there was no difference. Before I sold my FiiO E7 I went to an audiologist and an otolaryngologist. Both said there was nothing wrong with my hearing. For me it was wasted effort, but after months of reading the propaganda on this forum, the experience is invaluable. Go out and get it, just make sure it's from a place where you can return it. Fry's Electronics will price match with Amazon and they're easy to make returns to.
Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Really now you really didnt think I knew you could render openal in software From owning software based cards like The STX, HDAV1.3 and a razer Barracuda AC1 which I had before this with the STX before X-Fi HD I have now.I Never said you couldnt render openal in software you assume that I said that.

Actually your wrong UE3 engine does has EAX library in it, there are EAX effects but only when you enable OpenAL in the game options. If there was no EAX effects then my UT3 log wouldn't show it using any. Heres it is from my UT3 log and my UT3 log proves you wrong about there not being any EAX in UE3 engine thru openAl. of course a game that has EAX sound better then the same game with it off. It doesn't sound bland and sound isnt the same all over regardless of where you at.

In UT3 with EAX when you in a area below ground with a opening it sounds just like that with Eax. without EAX it sound like your above ground even tho your not and that's what it sound like with my STX that I had. IF UT3 which is a UE3 engine didn't have any EAX then it wouldn't been a difference.

No offense but it seems you don't even know what your talking about especially when you told me I should use alchemy for OpenAL games when its cleary for older Direct sound games but it does work for games using the miles sound engine. It do not work for openal games as it bypasses alchemy and use the game native openAL.

From my UT3 Log file no it puts the actual name that is listed in the control panel audio config.

init: ALAudio device opened : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
Init: AL_VENDOR : Creative Labs Inc.
Init: AL_RENDERER : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
Init: AL_VERSION : OpenAL version 1.1
Init: AL_EXTENSIONS : EAX
EAX1.0
EAX2.0
EAX3.0
EAX4.0
EAX5.0

post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by admflameberg;14980531 
Well no duh of course you can render openal in software I had a STX, HDAV1.3 and a razer Barracuda AC1 which are software cards before this X-Fi HD.I Never said you couldnt render openal in software but that wasnt what I was saying.

And they all sound better than X-Fi cards except for the HD. That's what I was trying to say.
Quote:
Actually your wrong UE3 engine does has EAX library in it, there are EAX effects but only when you enable OpenAL in the game options. If there was no EAX effects then my UT3 log wouldn't show it using any. Heres it is from my UT3 log and my UT3 log proves you wrong about there not being any EAX in UE3 engine thru openAl. of course a game that has EAX sound better then the same game with it off. It doesn't sound bland and sound isnt the same all over regardless of where you at.

Didn't know that, cheers.
Quote:
No offense but it seems you don't even know what your talking about especially when you told me I should use alchemy for OpenAL games when its cleary for older Direct sound games but it does work for games using the miles sound engine. It do not work for openal games as it bypasses alchemy and use the game native openAL.

Huh? I was talking about older games. EAX used to suppress OpenAL SQ. Obviously new games don't support both. No need for personal attacks. Grow up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in