[Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club - Page 144 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club

post #1431 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinferno806 View Post

Well if you go by the 1/8th impedance rule, the headphones may not be the best pairing for the ZXR's 40 ohm(according to 1 source) output impedance.

But honestly listen to them and see for yourself before worrying about this. You may like the way the frequency response is changed due to the impedance.

Would an Essence STX be better you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1432 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)
Well technically yes due to 10 ohm impedance. But like I said I would worry more about what features you want and if you are more a gamer than pure music listener. Other than the output impedance, the other specs are the same in terms of analogue components.

-
post #1433 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
My Sound Blaster ZxR will arriving Monday. I will be feeding the analog line outs into the Emotiva UPA-700 amplifier. As I understand it, the ZxR line outs have 2V RMS for maximum range. The UPA-700 has 870 mV RMS for maximum volume. I don't want to either overdrive the amplifier or blow my ears out by accidently using maximum volume.

Can I use the Speaker Level settings to change the maximum line out voltage? Setting each of the speakers (except the subwoofer which is separate) to -7.3db should do the trick.

If that is correct, then 100% volume would match 100% speaker volume. This would be, of course, independent of minor tweaks for room adjustment or of equalization.

Am on the right page here or do I need to add a preamp into the picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1434 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 AM
RET 0

Location: 'stralia, whereh teh weahter canneh dehcide whet et wahnts te beh.
Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragon View Post

My Sound Blaster ZxR will arriving Monday. I will be feeding the analog line outs into the Emotiva UPA-700 amplifier. As I understand it, the ZxR line outs have 2V RMS for maximum range. The UPA-700 has 870 mV RMS for maximum volume. I don't want to either overdrive the amplifier or blow my ears out by accidently using maximum volume.

Can I use the Speaker Level settings to change the maximum line out voltage? Setting each of the speakers (except the subwoofer which is separate) to -7.3db should do the trick.

If that is correct, then 100% volume would match 100% speaker volume. This would be, of course, independent of minor tweaks for room adjustment or of equalization.

I would imagine that should do the trick, if you wanted you could try putting some resisters in the connections to dampen the output, though I'm not incredibly sure what impedance you would need and what effect it may have on the frequency response, you would want some high quality ones...

in my case I just have my computer volume set to 50% and adjust volume via my amp, I know why you need yours the other way round but the concept is pretty much the same, I wouldn't expect you would need the full 0-100% range so I don't think you could ever have it set too high for a long enough amount of time to damage the pre-amps in your UPA-700, just set the amp to a high enough value that you can get a good range in your pc volume while not too high that you pick up interference or loose the ability to go really quiet, and there's usually a point in any sound card that they loose quality after a certain volume (hitting the DAC's clip if you will).

post #1435 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
hey guys...

there is a chance that I will be getting Creative ZxR in next days and I am planning on using it with my Sennheiser 360 headset (not the best one but its average). I would like to ask if you can describe which options should I use in the card's software to get the most from it ? (I know its ear from ear, but in general...)

My primary use of it will be for gaming today's AAA titles like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 and Tomb Raider. Count me as an total audio noob so if you would be kind enough and provide me some info, I would realy appreciate it smile.gif

Thanks

PS: If you can even provide some screenshots of settings, I would be grateful.

post #1436 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul17041993 View Post

I would imagine that should do the trick, if you wanted you could try putting some resisters in the connections to dampen the output, though I'm not incredibly sure what impedance you would need and what effect it may have on the frequency response, you would want some high quality ones...

in my case I just have my computer volume set to 50% and adjust volume via my amp, I know why you need yours the other way round but the concept is pretty much the same, I wouldn't expect you would need the full 0-100% range so I don't think you could ever have it set too high for a long enough amount of time to damage the pre-amps in your UPA-700, just set the amp to a high enough value that you can get a good range in your pc volume while not too high that you pick up interference or loose the ability to go really quiet, and there's usually a point in any sound card that they loose quality after a certain volume (hitting the DAC's clip if you will).

Thanks. I thought that was the case, but I have never needed to do that. I know that I will lose a little over a bit, but as long I am using 24 bits on the sound card that won't really matter. I suspect that I will lose several more bits (possibly 5 or 6) just keeping the sound at tolerable levels.

I prefer to do that over spending another 300 or 400 on a preamp. Just an external volume control is amazingly expensive. Shame the UPA-700 doesn't have one.

I have considered inserting resistors, either directly inline or as a voltage divider. I might still do that, but then I have to build a box with its own connections and work out the electrical details. Not my strong suite, but I might do it eventually anyway. I suspect that there isn't enough capacitance to affect the frequency response significantly (from what I have seen on other posts). I know the input impedance for the UPA-700 is 47k, but I don't know the output impedance of the ZxR. I could either put a resistance directly inline which would then act like a voltage divider (the output impedance and the input impedance already acts like a voltage divider so that just makes one side larger). If I did that it would around 110K. Or I could use two in a ratio of approximately 113 :: 87 to ground that would act like a voltage divider and feed from the center point. In that case I think that they would a lot smaller, but I am not really sure. I would have to study the circuits other people have done. I would use high quality resistors, probably thin film. Since this would a fixed attenuation, I wouldn't need to worry about the noise that a pot would potentially introduce nor would I need any of the more sophisticated digital attenuation circuits (beyond my ability to design in any case).

I have another question that has occurred to me. Creative Labs sort of short changed us and used the pcm1794 for the front speakers but the pcm1798 for the satellite speakers. The pcm1798 is not as good, but has the exact same pin out and from what I can tell is used identically. I am wondering if swapping the pcm1798s for pcm1794s could be a straight drop in with no other consequences (assuming I can do the soldering). The only thing I couldn't figure out is how the 1794s determine the output voltage level which can be 2V, 4V or 9V where the 1798 is 2V only.
post #1437 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I got the ZxR sound card and phones.
I can now use virtual 7.1 trough usb or connect trough 3.5mm jack the headphone and get 5.1.
In both cases i get really good quality sound, but can't figure out which one will give me a more fidel sound.
I use it more for gaming, so, perfect 3d positioning is preferable and in both cases music quality is very nice smile.gif
If someone could explain me how this 2 methods work, would be nice.
post #1438 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeKapa View Post

I can now use virtual 7.1 trough usb or connect trough 3.5mm jack the headphone and get 5.1.
In both cases i get really good quality sound, but can't figure out which one will give me a more fidel sound.
I use it more for gaming, so, perfect 3d positioning is preferable and in both cases music quality is very nice smile.gif
Roccat Kave and A40? Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
Virtual surround (binaural simulation) is based on HRTF calculations, while the Kave is based on how plain 5.1 surround speaker setups work (which is a bit stupid on headphones).

And let me guess, you haven't even tried the SBX surround with the A40 rolleyes.gif
And I wonder how the hell did the sound improve even in the slightest when you are using USB/optical rolleyes.gif

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
post #1439 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
RET 0

Location: 'stralia, whereh teh weahter canneh dehcide whet et wahnts te beh.
Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...

this... everywhere... actually that's going in my sig now...

post #1440 of 5967 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)
Quote:

Thanks. I thought that was the case, but I have never needed to do that. I know that I will lose a little over a bit, but as long I am using 24 bits on the sound card that won't really matter. I suspect that I will lose several more bits (possibly 5 or 6) just keeping the sound at tolerable levels.

I prefer to do that over spending another 300 or 400 on a preamp. Just an external volume control is amazingly expensive. Shame the UPA-700 doesn't have one.

I have considered inserting resistors, either directly inline or as a voltage divider. I might still do that, but then I have to build a box with its own connections and work out the electrical details. Not my strong suite, but I might do it eventually anyway. I suspect that there isn't enough capacitance to affect the frequency response significantly (from what I have seen on other posts). I know the input impedance for the UPA-700 is 47k, but I don't know the output impedance of the ZxR. I could either put a resistance directly inline which would then act like a voltage divider (the output impedance and the input impedance already acts like a voltage divider so that just makes one side larger). If I did that it would around 110K. Or I could use two in a ratio of approximately 113 :: 87 to ground that would act like a voltage divider and feed from the center point. In that case I think that they would a lot smaller, but I am not really sure. I would have to study the circuits other people have done. I would use high quality resistors, probably thin film. Since this would a fixed attenuation, I wouldn't need to worry about the noise that a pot would potentially introduce nor would I need any of the more sophisticated digital attenuation circuits (beyond my ability to design in any case).

I have another question that has occurred to me. Creative Labs sort of short changed us and used the pcm1794 for the front speakers but the pcm1798 for the satellite speakers. The pcm1798 is not as good, but has the exact same pin out and from what I can tell is used identically. I am wondering if swapping the pcm1798s for pcm1794s could be a straight drop in with no other consequences (assuming I can do the soldering). The only thing I couldn't figure out is how the 1794s determine the output voltage level which can be 2V, 4V or 9V where the 1798 is 2V only.

Creative labs did not short change anyone. Think about it.

Why add a second PCM1794 for the surrounds when majority of the ZXR purchasers are going to use it for headphones or stereo sound. EVEN then the ones who use surround sound speakers will still listen to music(which is where acoustic performance really matters imho) in 2 channels. During surround sound playback I highly doubt you'd notice a difference.

So why add a more expensive DAC(or 2) for the surrounds and raise the cost of the card for a smaller consumer group and alienate the majority. The needs of the many my friend. It was a smart business decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeKapa View Post

Headphones from the headphone out jack(zxr) using analogue connections will sound better since you are using the actual sound card.

USB headphones have nothing to do with the ZXR and will use its own DAC/drivers which are inferior.

Not sure if this is what you are asking but in short, use the ZXR's headphone out port and SBX surround for the best positioning.

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in