[Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club - Page 202 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club

post #2011 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul17041993 View Post

most likely a little anti-bump relay, being headphones you definitely don't want the in-rush to blow out your eardrums laugher.gif
Quote:

most likely a little anti-bump relay, being headphones you definitely don't want the in-rush to blow out your eardrums laugher.gif

Ahh ok. Always thought it was the amp being switched on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)
Ya amps on their own don't have any moving parts, in the Z/ZXR's case they are just IC chips that provide the necessary output voltage. Most high end audio equipment will include a magnetic relay wit the amps though to delay the sudden onset of high DC voltage that could harm speakers or headphones. Just like Paul said.

The Z does not have this likely due to one of two reasons. Either Creative didnt feel the need for it as the amp IC in the Z is not very powerful or they just wanted to have the best possible design on their high end card for principle.

The Xonar STX and the Phoebus do the same thing at startup or switching from headphones to speakers.

-
post #2013 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
So the red of this card is its biggest downfall. I set out yesterday to fix that. Using nothing more than what paint and colors my father-in-law had laying around his garage. The results are quite pleasing.

Original, OEM look.

I swapped out the 3mm red LEDs for some greater diffusion 5mm blue LEDS, and painted the sound core 3D a nice blue. The result is not perfect due to the difficulty of masking around those close capacitors. However, It's unlikely that anyone will ever look too costly at it.

Next I needed to paint the shielding. The results were quite pleasing.

I still need to swap out the red tinted plexi for some clear stuff, but that will take a trip to the hardware store, something that was not part of this project.

The end results I think look 100 times better than the original once everything it together and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Meow!

Rep: 242 (Unique: 204)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy60 View Post

So the red of this card is its biggest downfall. I set out yesterday to fix that. Using nothing more thank what pint and cools my father-in-law had laying around his gerage, the results are quite pleasing.

Everybody knows the traditional SoundBlaster Z is not the most optimal of color schemes for most individuals. I set out yesterday to change that using nothing more that paint and supplies that my father-in-law had lying around his gerage.

I swapped out the 3mm red LEDs for some greater diffusion 5mm blue LEDS, and painted the sound core 3D a nice blue. The result is not perfect due to the difficulty of masking around those close capacitors. However, It's unlikely that anyone will ever look too costly at it.

Next I needed to paint the shielding. The results were quite pleasing.

I still need to swap out the red tinted plexi for some clear stuff, but that will take a trip to the hardware store, something that was not part of this project.

The end results I think look 100 times better than the original once everything it together and running.

Nice modding! I'm planning electrical tape the LED and call it a day.

~ Nothing to see here ~

post #2015 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBDK View Post

Well I guess it depends on what you use it for. General music playing and it's absolutely fine (when the drivers load properly which they rarely do).
Gaming .. Ehh not so much. Tons of people, including me, are having issues where the channels are getting messed up or completely disabled (such as in the left side) after a certain amount of time. It has happened in 2 different builds now.

So yeah, nothing but trouble with these audio cards. I removed it from my rig today and I'm much happier with the lower quality sound the onboard provides because; It does not bug out on me.

I'll continue with my timer interrupt investigation on my 3rd rig, because I think there's an issue here with interrupts and Z sound cards which makes them go bonkers.

Yeah I tend to believe everything a company makes must be crap if I have 1 bad experience too, I mean the chances of me and the few other people I read on the internet having a defective or bad card, or bad cable or crappy speakers or setup or even user error is impossible right?

I also like to jump on forum threads just to rant vs ask for suggestions or see if anyone savy enough might understand the issue I'm having and lead me in the right direction. It's the internet and I completely agree with you that there's no false information posted! thumb.gif you sure showed Creative who's boss by letting us know you uninstalled it!

Avid Anime collector, a hobby that makes this hobby look cheap, as well as gets in the way of it rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skupples 
Don't do business with NCIX!
post #2016 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronvict View Post

That soft click is the headphone amp being switched on and off when you switch from speakers to headphones mode and back.

Quote:

So its a perfectly normal thing, nothing to worry about?
Upgraded from the craptastic Recon3D, so the clicks paranoid me into thinking it was some electrical shortage everytime i switch modes as the Recond3D didnt make any sound when switching.

post #2017 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)
Ya i just wiggled the leds enough until they popped off. Couldn't stand the red ruining my UV every time.

Much better now and the red shield doesnt even show with the soft UV glow unless you put a light up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post

Yeah I tend to believe everything a company makes must be crap if I have 1 bad experience too, I mean the chances of me and the few other people I read on the internet having a defective or bad card, or bad cable or crappy speakers or setup or even user error is impossible right?

I also like to jump on forum threads just to rant vs ask for suggestions or see if anyone savy enough might understand the issue I'm having and lead me in the right direction. It's the internet and I completely agree with you that there's no false information posted! thumb.gif you sure showed Creative who's boss by letting us know you uninstalled it!

Hmmmm my sarcasm metre is slowly inching forward.....

Lettuce be cereal now. I am sure he is just a troll who came here to badmouth sound cards after watching some TekkSyndicate videos and jumping on the bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeVltg3 View Post

So its a perfectly normal thing, nothing to worry about?
Upgraded from the craptastic Recon3D, so the clicks paranoid me into thinking it was some electrical shortage everytime i switch modes as the Recond3D didnt make any sound when switching.

Read my post above as I went into further detail to compliment Paul's post.

In short, it is normal.

You can breathe now lol.

-
post #2018 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
RET 0

Location: 'stralia, whereh teh weahter canneh dehcide whet et wahnts te beh.
Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy60 View Post

the colours kinda has a neat effect in my eyes, but still a great colour mod, recon creative should have gone a step further and had the LEDs connected on jumpers instead of hard-soldered in, maby even made an optional silver shroud available...

post #2019 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 PM
RET 0

Location: 'stralia, whereh teh weahter canneh dehcide whet et wahnts te beh.
Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
so yea just gave f2k a try with WASAPI, strangely using the f2k up-sampler to 96K makes it very deep, until the front channels dropped out... so the problem occurs on WASAPI too...

I think I'm just going to stick with good ol' winamp and its default DS plugin... tongue.gif

post #2020 of 5963 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Is there any difference between the bass boost in windows enhancement and in creative Sound Blaster Z?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in