Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk?

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
Put a piece of sheet metal between the sub and the case and it should be fine. Especially if your case is metal.

Ryzen 9 3900X, ASRock X570 Taichi, 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 CL19, ASRock RX580 8GB Phantom X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

This myth is absurd. You people do realize there are brutally strong magnets inside hard drives right?

One could make the argument that the A/C speaker coil might cause a problem, but the magnetic field is FAR too weak to do anything. Even an unshielded speaker has to be just a couple inches from a CRT to affect it, and that my friends is the ONLY reason to buy shielded speakers in the first place.

Shielding in speakers originates from the CRT era, when speakers were places directly next to the screens, in some cases attached to them, and unshielded ones would cause all sorts of funky colors on the display. It has nothing to do with your hard drive.

Yeah, but we're talking about a powered subwoofer. There's a big difference.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Yeah, but we're talking about a powered subwoofer. There's a big difference.
No, there isn't.

A powered sub has an amp and a speaker in it. The most dangerous thing in the assembly is the voice coil, and it isn't a problem. An amplifier is no different in terms of emissions than any other component in your pc.

You can feel free to put your external hard drive directly on top of logitech's 500 watt powered speaker setup and you will never have a problem.

I'm telling you, this whole speaker thing is a myth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 39)
Quote:

All I've ever heard over the years is if a subwoofer or speaker is not magnetically shielded, then it should be kept at least 2 feet away from magnetic things like hard drive.

I actually believe this is for the benefit of the subwoofer, for more accurate sound reproduction.

Think, if it was close to something metal, the magnet might try to "pull" that direction, resulting in a loss of precision.

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombax View Post

I actually believe this is for the benefit of the subwoofer, for more accurate sound reproduction.

Think, if it was close to something metal, the magnet might try to "pull" that direction, resulting in a loss of precision.
You guys have no idea how rapidly magnetic fields lose strength do you? Magnetic fields lose strength extraordinarily quickly. Over the space of just a few inches, even the massive magnets on the backs of high powered speakers lose so much of their strength that the earths magnetic field is more powerful. You can build an enclosure out of nothing but steel, and it wont affect the sound quality at all, barring the obvious resonance problems of the actual case.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)

The manual for my speaker system (Altec Lansing VS4121) says that my subwoofer is not shielded and therefore I should keep it at least 2 feet away from magnetic things like hard drives. It doesn't say why, it just says to keep a distance.

So if this is a myth, then why is it in my manual?

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

The manual for my speaker system (Altec Lansing VS4121) says that my subwoofer is not shielded and therefore I should keep it at least 2 feet away from magnetic things like hard drives. It doesn't say why, it just says to keep a distance.

So if this is a myth, then why is it in my manual?
Because it is such a well known myth that they don't want anyone blaming them for their **** breaking.

I promise you can put a hard drive right on top of a powered sub and it will function just fine for years. I had no other place to put mine, and until recently when I moved, the thing sat there for 5 years without a single problem.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM

The only time you have a problem with magnets and hard drives is when they are actively writing data, you put a magnet to the drive, and it pulls the read/write arms into contact with the platter... and poof, drive is messed up.

You still have to be within an inch for this to even occur, and be using a particularly strong magnet, like the ones already inside of the damn drive. There are stupidly powerful little magnets inside hard drives dude. Even their fields, within a half inch of the platter, isn't enough to corrupt the data that is on the disc.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

You guys have no idea how rapidly magnetic fields lose strength do you? Magnetic fields lose strength extraordinarily quickly. Over the space of just a few inches, even the massive magnets on the backs of high powered speakers lose so much of their strength that the earths magnetic field is more powerful. You can build an enclosure out of nothing but steel, and it wont affect the sound quality at all, barring the obvious resonance problems of the actual case.

Yes, its exponential. 2 feet is pushing it, but I can tell you that the subs that I installed in my car would attract things over 1 foot away. and would pull hard towards metal that was like 4-6 inches away. Which is why they came double-boxed where the outer box was big enough for a 10 year old to completely hide in.

But those were 15's.....

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/116572/article.html

Quote:
For venerable floppies, this statement holds true. We placed a 99-cent magnet on a 3.5-inch floppy for a few seconds. The magnet stuck to the disk and ruined its data.

That combined with the CRT thing is where this myth comes from.
Quote:
Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in