Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk?

post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)

I dunno about on it, but near it is fine. Depending on the sub, not much of a worry with that little logitech, but it could actually vibrate the computer off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombax View Post

Yes, its exponential. 2 feet is pushing it, but I can tell you that the subs that I installed in my car would attract things over 1 foot away. and would pull hard towards metal that was like 4-6 inches away. Which is why they came double-boxed where the outer box was big enough for a 10 year old to completely hide in.

But those were 15's.....
I had two 15s myself and I promise you are exaggerating. I have a 10" sub sitting on a shelf in my bedroom, and I have to be within an inch to feel any pull on a steel keyring I have laying here.

Bigger subs don't have more powerful magnets, they simply have larger ones. The magnetic field is larger, but not stronger.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 226 (Unique: 171)
magnetically, it'll be fine, vibration may be your only issue. The speaker magnet will be far enough away from the HDD to not cause an issue, plus the metal case will shield/soak up most of the field if it even reached outside the subwoofer case. I think vibration will be more of a worry, but if you have vibration absorbant mounts, it should be fine.

and TwoCables - I know you are being helpful /cautious, and relying on the manual - but really it is stated to combat the claim culture. Just like bleach has "do not drink" and silica gel packs "do not eat". The hillbillies need protecting. tongue.gif

The magnetic field would probably be enough to damage data on old floppy disks (remember them? biggrin.gif ) but for an HDD in a metal case, It's very unlikely to do damage. Oh and talking about old things, how many PC's in the 386,486, pentium one days had PC speakers (complete with magnet either on or just under the HDD carrier? You get my point I hope. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

magnetically, it'll be fine, vibration may be your only issue. The speaker magnet will be far enough away from the HDD to not cause an issue, plus the metal case will shield/soak up most of the field if it even reached outside the subwoofer case. I think vibration will be more of a worry, but if you have vibration absorbant mounts, it should be fine.

and TwoCables - I know you are being helpful /cautious, and relying on the manual - but really it is stated to combat the claim culture. Just like bleach has "do not drink" and silica gel packs "do not eat". The hillbillies need protecting. tongue.gif

The magnetic field would probably be enough to damage data on old floppy disks (remember them? biggrin.gif ) but for an HDD in a metal case, It's very unlikely to do damage. Oh and talking about old things, how many PC's in the 386,486, pentium one days had PC speakers (complete with magnet either on or just under the HDD carrier? You get my point I hope. smile.gif
They STILL build computers that way. I have a E series dual core from a few years ago sitting onthe floor next to me with a speaker RIGHT NEXT TO the hard drive bay. Seriously, is O is the speaker, it goes like this:

O| | And the drive slots in there on its side.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)

I still refuse to trust a powered subwoofer with a giant magnet on it being close to a hard drive.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I still refuse to trust a powered subwoofer with a giant magnet on it being close to a hard drive.
Good for you. Doesn't make you right.

By the way, a powered subwoofer doesn't have a magnet any larger than one that isn't powered.

A powered sub is nothing more than a regular subwoofer with the amp built into the cabinet. I don't understand why you keep specifying this like there is a difference.

In fact, even the big logitech units aren't as big as you think. Typically they are large passive radiators with a smaller speaker inside. Mine for example has an 8" passive that you can see, but if you take it apart there is a second chamber with a 4" woofer inside it. Most computer speaker setups are this way, and the magnets on those things are much smaller than you would think.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Whatever. It's all up to pheria anyway.

(yeah, I don't appreciate the way you said "Good for you. Doesn't make you right", so we're done here. You're not going to get people to listen to you when you talk like that)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM

I'm blunt. You don't have to like it.

Doesn't make me any less valid.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I would worry about the vibrations and not so much over the magnetism problem.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

I'm blunt. You don't have to like it.

Doesn't make me any less valid.

No, you're not blunt. You're disrespectful and rude and it seems like you're more interested in being competitive (it's like you want to win or something). You need to learn how to teach people.

If you want people to listen to you when you're right, then you have to calm down and treat the person as though they're your friend. When was the last time you listened to someone who treated you with disrespect while they were trying to correct you? It's not easy to do, is it? I don't know how you can expect anyone to listen to you when you're rude like that. You call it blunt, I call it rude. It was uncalled for. A successful teacher is calm and respectful, not "blunt" (or rude, aggressive, competitive, etc.).

Whatever, though. Just forget it.

I think this post serves as a good example of how difficult it is to listen to someone when they're confrontational, rude, aggressive, or "blunt". As you can see, it doesn't matter how right I may be here, it makes you want to fight back instead of listen.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in