Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk? - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk?

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
I don't know if this is of any use, but, once, years ago, I made the horrible mistake of putting a running hard drive upside-down on top of a running power supply while having the rig running out of the case. As a result of this, the drive got a bunch of sector errors. I still have it, it spins up fine, but I don't think it's trustworthy. I was darn lucky that the whole reason I was running the rig was to secure erase that drive. Well, it looks like I more-or-less succeeded in doing that!

Note, however, the differences between the scenarios. This hard drive of mine was put right smack on top of a power supply.

Intelligent message brought to you by...a signature. The rest of my PCs are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer go_quote.gif

If so you should have said, "are you asking me to stick my drives where the sun don't shine?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

I've thought about it before, but it doesn't seem to bother my server/htpc at all to have a 10" Energy sub thumping right next to it. The server is running 20 drives total btw and 12 in RAID6 and yea its been like this for years.

Then your subwoofer may be magnetically shielded.

rolleyes.gif

Wrong.

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

rolleyes.gif

Wrong.

That is one impressive display picture.

Intelligent message brought to you by...a signature. The rest of my PCs are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer go_quote.gif

If so you should have said, "are you asking me to stick my drives where the sun don't shine?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

The manual for my speaker system (Altec Lansing VS4121) says that my subwoofer is not shielded and therefore I should keep it at least 2 feet away from magnetic things like hard drives. It doesn't say why, it just says to keep a distance.

So if this is a myth, then why is it in my manual?

It 100% will not effect your drives. I have taken an electromagnet used for wiping old school video tape and ran it over a hard drive, did nothing to the data, I also took a very strong rare earth magnet and ran it over a hard drive, again, nothing the data was completely intact.

The only thing an un-sheilded speaker might damage is a CRT display, and even that is not permanent.

Well reading the rest of the thread looks like we have all come to a consensus. I like TwoCables but you did one thing I hate, and that is believing something with no evidence and when evidence to the contrary is pointed out. The word for it is magical thinking. We are all pretty left brained people here, we hopefully rely on facts and science (i.e. testing it out). I've tested it out and modern hard drives are just not vulnerable to any kind of magnet that you would normally have around your house.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Sacrifice Chickens To Me!

Rep: 1340 (Unique: 998)
Your fine.

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!.
"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I ruined an original Xbox by setting it on top on my Energy Encore 8 subwoofer as I was dusting and re arraigning my room.
I turned on the Xbox and it started wigging out and the picture was all screwed up . It dawned on me that it must have been the magnet from the sub.
The Xbox was never the same again.

my .02
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

It 100% will not effect your drives. I have taken an electromagnet used for wiping old school video tape and ran it over a hard drive, did nothing to the data, I also took a very strong rare earth magnet and ran it over a hard drive, again, nothing the data was completely intact.

The only thing an un-sheilded speaker might damage is a CRT display, and even that is not permanent.

Well reading the rest of the thread looks like we have all come to a consensus. I like TwoCables but you did one thing I hate, and that is believing something with no evidence and when evidence to the contrary is pointed out. The word for it is magical thinking. We are all pretty left brained people here, we hopefully rely on facts and science (i.e. testing it out). I've tested it out and modern hard drives are just not vulnerable to any kind of magnet that you would normally have around your house.

+1

post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
r/madlads

Rep: 273 (Unique: 219)
I store a couple of HDDs very near a classic 8" JBL sub with ginormous magnets for a 8" ...
Nothing happened. Keep in mind that magnet is powerful is enough to nearly overwhelm a neodymium magnet that you find in harddisks @ 1/2 INCH!

It's just like the nonsense you hear while taking IT diploma that they would say "Keep harddisks away from sunlight as that has magnetism"
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

It's just like the nonsense you hear while taking IT diploma that they would say "Keep harddisks away from sunlight as that has magnetism"

Sounds like there is a story behind that one. Did someone say this to you?

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM
r/madlads

Rep: 273 (Unique: 219)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

Sounds like there is a story behind that one. Did someone say this to you?

Yeah, during a lecture. Of which i replied "Where the sun don't shine you'll be asking me not to put my drives?"
Let's just say the lecture ended prematurely and i got another negative rep point again tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in