Suggest New Computer Speakers (My Left M-Audio AV-40 Speaker Quit Working) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggest New Computer Speakers (My Left M-Audio AV-40 Speaker Quit Working)

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 77)
I have been getting a little tired lately of my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup. It is decent for sure, but perhaps not the absolute best audio quality as I became used to my M-Audio AV40 speakers. The AV-40's while lacking in bass and it's relevant frequencies were great for audio quality and how clean the audio came through.

They both are going through my Xonar Essence STX. Which does a good job.

However, my left AV-40 speaker busted and for some reason simply will not work anymore. I tested switching lines and speakers, and it's just that speaker that won't produce audio. Not sure why. So I am now using my Klipsch Pro 2.1 setup.

What I would like to do now is aim for a 2.1 setup. Two quality speakers. Plus perhaps add a Dayton, HSU, or Velodyne sub. But, I am not sure how my soundcard would handle that as it does not exactly have an option for a base hookup unless I am mistaken (am I?).

My computer is also hooked up to my TV. So occasionally I will put whatever I am watching on the big screen.

Secondly, if I am going to get a decent 2.1 setup, I thought about trying to achieve the ability to have my TV able to use the speakers as well. The only way I know how that would work is by using a receiver. I would want that receiver to have two audio out options that can function independently. So if I want to watch TV while working/gaming on my PC with audio I can. I don't think I need an external DAC by any means.

So yes, I want to play both music and movies through these future speakers.

My budget? Around $300 for the computer speakers and then a reasonable price for the sub. A receiver would have to be quality, but cheaper. As long as it served my needs functionally, I would be satisfied.

My main goal would be able to figure out a new set of speakers and how I can hook up a sub with them.

It does not bother the wolf how many the sheep may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
You could try to fix the speaker that went out.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

You could try to fix the speaker that went out.

That won't give me a 2.1 setup, and a sub doesn't seem to be an option with these unless I hook it up to a receiver.

Would not even know what to look for if I opened the speaker up.

It does not bother the wolf how many the sheep may be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in