SoundBlasterX G6 Mic Input is... Terrible? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

SoundBlasterX G6 Mic Input is... Terrible?

post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 212 (Unique: 186)
SoundBlasterX G6 Mic Input is... Terrible?

So I recently got a SoundBlasterX G6 - I've been using a Vmoda boom pro mic with my onboard sound previously which honestly, it sounded pretty good.

However, the G6 mic input in comparison sounds horribly compressed and "thin"?

I've made a comparison recording, G6 recording first, onboard mic input afterwards. Is it just me or does the onboard mic input sound significantly better? Am I missing something? Surely a £130 device should perform better than onboard audio in every aspect.

Click to Listen

Both recordings are completely untouched in anyway. 100% input volume and 20db boost on both inputs.

Meshify C
(16 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Taichi
GPU
Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix
RAM
Team Dark Pro 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Sony KDL-40HX853
Keyboard
Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TKL
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless
Audio
Sennheiser HD558
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2/00
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G6
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)
Wow pretty interesting. I mean they sound too much different, are you sure it's untouched? The G6 recording sounds like is kinda filtered, like the noise suppression is enabled and disabled in the onboard audio chip.
I own a G5 and wanted to sell this to get a G6, but won't do that if it sounds that "bad". Which program did you use to record anyway?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by oxidized View Post
Wow pretty interesting. I mean they sound too much different, are you sure it's untouched? The G6 recording sounds like is kinda filtered, like the noise suppression is enabled and disabled in the onboard audio chip.
I own a G5 and wanted to sell this to get a G6, but won't do that if it sounds that "bad". Which program did you use to record anyway?
I swear on my life I haven't touched the recordings - recorded straight into Audacity (same project and track) and exported out to MP3.

My friend on Discord pointed out that my mic sounded different so I investigated and lo and behold the G6 is producing this weirdly compressed nonsense.

I can't see any settings relating to the mic input in the G6 software apart from the input volume and boost. I've sent this over to Creative tech support aswell and I'm really hoping they'll tell me there's something wrong with my unit and it's not supposed to be like this.

If this is just how it is, then I'll be returning it to them.

Meshify C
(16 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Taichi
GPU
Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Sony KDL-40HX853
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless
Audio
Sennheiser HD558
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2/00
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Cyph3r; 10-02-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:46 PM
PC Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
I swear on my life I haven't touched the recordings - recorded straight into Audacity (same project and track) and exported out to MP3.

My friend on Discord pointed out that my mic sounded different so I investigated and lo and behold the G6 is producing this weirdly compressed nonsense.

I can't see any settings relating to the mic input in the G6 software apart from the input volume and boost. I've sent this over to Creative tech support aswell and I'm really hoping they'll tell me there's something wrong with my unit and it's not supposed to be like this.

If this is just how it is, then I'll be returning it to them.
Alright then, well i see your point, i wouldn't buy a 150€ audio card to have my mic sound like that.

Anyway it's not completely ruled out there's something going on at drivers level or even more possibly with the soundcard panel, which could be "forcing" the noise suppression on, i mean that really sounds like a noise suppressed mic.

Last edited by oxidized; 10-02-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright then, well i see your point, i wouldn't buy a 150€ audio card to have my mic sound like that.

Anyway it's not completely ruled out there's something going on at drivers level or even more possibly the sound panel could be "forcing" the noise suppression on, i mean that really sounds like a noise suppressed mic.
That was my first though that there was some echo/noise suppression that was enabled by default on the G6... but there's no option for it anywhere.

I've heard that the Sennheiser GSX1000 has forced processing on the mic input which causes a similar issue and can't be disabled which is one of the reasons I went with the Creative because they're usually pretty good at opening all the options up on their control panel.

Guess I just have to wait and see what Creative tech support says.

Meshify C
(16 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Taichi
GPU
Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Sony KDL-40HX853
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless
Audio
Sennheiser HD558
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2/00
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM
PC Gamer

That was my first though that there was some echo/noise suppression that was enabled by default on the G6... but there's no option for it anywhere.

I've heard that the Sennheiser GSX1000 has forced processing on the mic input which causes a similar issue and can't be disabled which is one of the reasons I went with the Creative because they're usually pretty good at opening all the options up on their control panel.

Guess I just have to wait and see what Creative tech support says.
A guy i know tried the GSX, mic audio was meh at best, so i can see what you refer to, it could probably be some kind of "bug" or maybe still have to add the toggle...Who knows...

Yes please, i'm really interested in that, i'd be really glad if you kept this up to date!
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

A guy i know tried the GSX, mic audio was meh at best, so i can see what you refer to, it could probably be some kind of "bug" or maybe still have to add the toggle...Who knows...

Yes please, i'm really interested in that, i'd be really glad if you kept this up to date!
I do hope it's something they can fix.

I tried a few more things, I went into the Windows mic properties for the G6 mic input, on the advanced tab there is a tick box that says "Allow extra signal processing by the sound device". I got excited and disabled it - there's no difference unfortunately.

I then though I'd try the G6 direct mode - but the mic input completely dies in direct mode?! Another complaint to Creative...

Meshify C
(16 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Taichi
GPU
Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Sony KDL-40HX853
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless
Audio
Sennheiser HD558
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2/00
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Cyph3r; 10-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 PM
PC Gamer

I do hope it's something they can fix.

I tried a few more things, I went into the Windows mic properties for the G6 mic input, on the advanced tab there is a tick box that says "Allow extra signal processing by the sound device". I got excited and disabled it - there's no difference unfortunately.

I then though I'd try the G6 direct mode - but the mic input completely dies in direct mode?! Another complaint to Creative...

Have you tried updating firmware and software already? Seems like there a couple of different version of software, and a newer firmware on the support website
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Have you tried updating firmware and software already? Seems like there a couple of different version of software, and a newer firmware on the support website
Yep updated the firmware as soon as I got it because the software prompted me too. Also got the latest version of the software (I got the G6 in hand yesterday).

After using the spectrum analysis in Audacity, it's quite easy to see why the G6 sounds worse:

SoundBlasterX G6 Mic Input:

Onboard Audio Mic Input:

All of the low end is completely rolled off and everything after ~8000Hz is just cut off entirely. What the hell Creative?!

Meshify C
(16 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Taichi
GPU
Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Sony KDL-40HX853
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless
Audio
Sennheiser HD558
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2/00
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM
PC Gamer

Yep updated the firmware as soon as I got it because the software prompted me too. Also got the latest version of the software (I got the G6 in hand yesterday).

After using the spectrum analysis in Audacity, it's quite easy to see why the G6 sounds worse:

SoundBlasterX G6 Mic Input:

Onboard Audio Mic Input:

All of the low end is completely rolled off and everything after ~8000Hz is just cut off entirely. What the hell Creative?!

Jeeeeeeez, well that actually looks like a filter, let's hope it is one, i'm not actually sure my voice sounds like that on the G5, i'm currently using one of those smartphone headsets, so the built-in mic isn't really test-bench stuff, although it sounds alright according to the people i chat with.

Also, pardon the ignorance, which program did you use to give you that nice spectrum? I kinda curious to see what my mic "looks" like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in