PCIe card help please, similar to auzentech prelude - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PCIe card help please, similar to auzentech prelude

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,508
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
PCIe card help please, similar to auzentech prelude

Hey all, I have an auzentech prelude 7.1 PCI card in my old system, and love the sound but am having a hard time finding a PCIe replacement of the same quality. I'm currently looking at a few options like the ASUS Sound Card Essence STX II or the HT OMEGA eCLARO, with the outputs on the eCLARO being very similar to the auzentech, which would seem to be easier to use with my old Klipsch 4.1. As of right now, I cant get the rear speakers to work with any onboard audio regardless of the onboard setting (quadrophonic, etc).

The Asus has RCA outputs on the card I believe and a 4pin connection and that's where I run into issues with that card.

Do you guys have any suggestions I can try or how I can get the Asus to work with the Klipsch 4.1?

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Tjj226 Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,138
Rep: 506 (Unique: 335)
I assume you need a new pcie sound card because you upgraded your motherboard which no longer has PCI slots?

If that is correct, can you tell us what motherboard you got? There is a good chance your on board audio on your new motherboard is on par with these sound cards.

If not, I would go for the asus stx 2 card. All you need are some 3.5mm to RCA adapters and you will be good to go.
Tjj226 Angel is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,508
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post
I assume you need a new pcie sound card because you upgraded your motherboard which no longer has PCI slots?

If that is correct, can you tell us what motherboard you got? There is a good chance your on board audio on your new motherboard is on par with these sound cards.

If not, I would go for the asus stx 2 card. All you need are some 3.5mm to RCA adapters and you will be good to go.
That is correct, there aren't any more PCI mobos left so PCIe it is. The motherboard I have is an MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC. Actually the onboard audio isn't bad at all but I cant use the Klipsch 4.1 I have as it won't engage the rear speakers and I have tried everything I can think of. Testing the rear channels thru software works but they won't come on for anything else. If I plug them into the auzentech they all work fine.

I heard that card is really good but the RCA outputs were throwing me off. I'd like to add that along with the Klipsch speakers I also use Sennheiser HD650's and an older headroom.com headphone amp FWIW.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!


Last edited by Dunan; 02-16-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Dunan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Tjj226 Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,138
Rep: 506 (Unique: 335)
So first things first, stick with your motherboard for audio and forget the sound cards. Your motherboard can do everything you want just fine AND it is a pretty nice custom sound solution, so there isn't any need to upgrade.......for now ; )

Second off, we need to get your rear speakers working with your motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I would follow in order to get things working.

1: Make sure your any extra audio drivers for your motherboard are installed.

2: Make sure you are plugging your speakers into the right port. Be sure to consult the mobo manual here.

3: Make sure both your motherboard's driver software AND windows is set to run for 4.1 or most likely 5.1 (not totally sure here since 4.1 is a sort of odd ball standard).

4: Make sure you are using multi channel test tones from youtube or a known source.

5: make sure you have removed all other audio drivers from your hard drive.

Hopefully we can get you running fairly quickly.
Tjj226 Angel is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wilts, U.K.
Posts: 3,562
Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
^ It's a 4.0 I think @Tjj226 Angel , just front and rear channels (no center/sub), bass is filtered off later in the Klipsch. It should be possible to set "Quadraphonic" in the "Audio Channels" option if you "Configure" the onboard device in "Sound>Playback". I haven't actually done this myself for a 4.0 output from the onboard sound since Windows7 though.


Darren9 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,508
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
^ It's a 4.0 I think @Tjj226 Angel , just front and rear channels (no center/sub), bass is filtered off later in the Klipsch. It should be possible to set "Quadraphonic" in the "Audio Channels" option if you "Configure" the onboard device in "Sound>Playback". I haven't actually done this myself for a 4.0 output from the onboard sound since Windows7 though.
It's a 4.1 but there is no sub output.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wilts, U.K.
Posts: 3,562
Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dunan View Post
It's a 4.1 but there is no sub output.
Is it a ProMedia? If not could you link to it please. I think it is a 4.1 but between the PC and the Klipsh is 4 full range channels, the Klipsh filters the sub-bass from the 4 full range channels it recieves and creates 4.1. You should set 4 speakers (Quadraphonic) in Windows sound.


Darren9 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,508
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
Is it a ProMedia? If not could you link to it please. I think it is a 4.1 but between the PC and the Klipsh is 4 full range channels, the Klipsh filters the sub-bass from the 4 full range channels it recieves and creates 4.1. You should set 4 speakers (Quadraphonic) in Windows sound.

Yes, it's the old school 4.1 ProMedia setup. In the Auzentech drivers (on the other PC) it's set up as 4.1 as there is an option for it, but in the Realtek software and windows sound settings, both set to quadrophonic. I just tried a 4.1 sound test but its still acting like a 2.1. There is an audible hiss coming from the rears but its very light, but no real audio.

This is the test I just tried:


Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
acquacow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 125
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Best audio these days for PCs is with an external USB DAC. You get power and data isolation and much cleaner D2A conversion, plus amplification if desired.

Don't go internal, there's way too much noise inside your case.
acquacow is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,508
Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post
So first things first, stick with your motherboard for audio and forget the sound cards. Your motherboard can do everything you want just fine AND it is a pretty nice custom sound solution, so there isn't any need to upgrade.......for now ; )

Second off, we need to get your rear speakers working with your motherboard.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I would follow in order to get things working.

1: Make sure your any extra audio drivers for your motherboard are installed.

2: Make sure you are plugging your speakers into the right port. Be sure to consult the mobo manual here.

3: Make sure both your motherboard's driver software AND windows is set to run for 4.1 or most likely 5.1 (not totally sure here since 4.1 is a sort of odd ball standard).

4: Make sure you are using multi channel test tones from youtube or a known source.

5: make sure you have removed all other audio drivers from your hard drive.

Hopefully we can get you running fairly quickly.
Doublechecked 1-5, all pan out. I've never gotten this to work with any other motherboard either, hence why the Auzentech has gone thru 4 builds since purchase - that and it was a $250 sound card at the time. I'm stumped as to why the Klipsch wont work with any onboard sound motherboard I've tried to set it up with before just giving up and using the Prelude.

$$ for the Asus isn't a problem, and I know I'll be able (or SHOUD be able to use) it in future builds as well. I can say though, the audio from the board isn't bad by any stretch, but if I can't get the klipsch's to play with it, I'll have to get a card.

Skyrim fans!!


Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!


Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

Dunan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off