help me, please, find an audio solution! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

help me, please, find an audio solution!

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
help me, please, find an audio solution!

hello all.
I come to this forum, signed up, in fact, to post my Question, as i have seen, over the months, that you all Know Your Stuff!

I would like an audio solution for my new computer.

I must use headphones. I live where speakers would bother many people. I "treated" my self, early this month with a sennheiser 599 headphone. It arrived last week, quite a difference with my "old" computer.

I listen a lot to music. I also play games. I will install a higher def sound file for skyrim special, for my new computer, in fact.
even at 77 years old and have lost frequencies over like 13,000, i can still hear well. I appreciate good reproduction.

my "old" computer, the current computer, i had ecollegepc build it, i highly recommend these guys. ecollegepc.com.
they only had three options for sound, the two "better" were the audigy 5 Rx, and the creative Z, a more expensive card but i have read that it is wonderful for games but not for music. I bought the audigy 5 Rx. it does sound good with the sennheiser .

I had these guys build me a "new" computer, this month. a step up. my old computer is over 2 years old and the cost of a new computer will only be much higher, soon, due to tariff stuff, so last week it came.
I also use the same audigy 5 Rx in it, too. sounds good.

HOWEVER....
and here is my problem of Choice and choosing.
the new motherboard, the asus prime z390, to go with my upgrade to i7 processor, comes with an onboard realtek sound system.
the S1220A 8-channel with crystal sound 3. there is even a headphone amplifier that comes with this realtek!
[apparently one of the higher level quality realteks.]
the audigy 5 Rx basically comes with "nuthin"! no midi settings, no equalizer settings for bass and treble, no headphone amp. i can only slightly tweak the bass and treble using the windows settings.

right away, I have a Choice: should i go with the realtek or the audigy?!

then there is the extra added attraction, the audigy fx
=======
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe 5.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp.

Easily converts the PC into a cinematic entertainment system by providing a compelling 5.1 surround sound
Advanced Audio Processing with SBX Pro Studio, a suite of Sound Blaster audio processing technologies that let you bring out the best in your audio
Includes the Sound Blaster Audigy Fx Control Panel, PC software that puts you in full control of the SBX Pro Studio suite of technologies
600 ohm headphone amp for high performance, studio grade monitoring
106 SNR and 24-bit 192kHz DAC (Playback) and 96kHz ADC (Recording)
=======
[Amazon, $40. seems there is a driver/program pack for win 10, on creative site. This puppy is only about $40 and has good reviews and it has the midi and equalizer settings and the headphone amp. I really do not need, i *think*, a headphone amp but the sennheiser 599 is one number below the 600 series, they require one, probably an amp would make a difference with the 599.

so.
should buy this audigy fx, over using the onboard or the audigy 5 Rx? would this card improve my audio experience over what I have, already? or is this card full of "problems" , problems that some have experienced with win 7 and 8?

or I could find a even *better* sound card, one under $100, please, i have blown my budget already on that new computer!
is there a card that betters the sound and music, over both creative cards and that realtek high-end version onboard?!

thank you....freestone

Last edited by freestonew; 05-17-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: to enable email notification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 281 (Unique: 121)
My first suggestion is, since you have the RX already, is to try it. Compare it to the onboard sound, and determine if the difference is worth it. It most likely isn't, and you can try and sell the RX if that's the case.
If the difference is big enough for you, I suggest sticking with the RX for now.

Using the Audigy FX in its place is useless, since the RX should be about equal if not superior... A Sound Blaster Z would be an upgrade, but new it's expensive. Getting a refurbished one might be a good deal. There will be a difference, but it shouldn't be that big compared to the onboard audio. Just remember that Creative is known for their below average drivers, to put it mildly.

An alternative is the Asus Xonar line, although I do not have experience with them...

Rather than a sound card, you're better off with an external DAC. This one's just slightly over $100, but I recommend the Micca Origen G2. If that's too expensive for you, an alternative is the FiiO E10K.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 12)
Other external DAC options is the Schiit Fulla or the Magni and Modi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
2x Intel 660P 2TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 Card
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 309 (Unique: 225)
Here we go with the Schit again as if nothing else exists.

Any potato can drive HD 599. And most 1150/1220 or newer Realteks especially with amps are fine for these kind of headphones.

Software adjustments are only going to butcher things and if you need EQ well then there is EqualizerAPO+PEACE that works with ANY sound device.
Cards from Sound Blaster, ASUS, etc. are pretty much relics of the past nowadays. Either use good onboard with amp or get an external DAC+AMP.

If you can listen to the devices with your headphone and decide if there is even any change, if that change is due to internal EQ differences or there is an actual quality difference.

Sound card cam be internal or external, it's nothing more than a DAC with sometimes a sound processor which nowadays is often done in software not in a hardware chip like before.

The whole audio market is swimming in snake oil. Beware.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
I used to use the Audigy rx 5 because it is the cheapest sound card you can get from creative that has an optical output and full driver support on windows 10.

That said, it's not a great card for much else. It's just too old. If you want more of the features creative has to offer on modern software, you just need a newer sound card. I went with the sound blaster Z and that works fine for me.

For headphones the onboard Realtek form your motherboard should be fine.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Here we go with the Schit again as if nothing else exists.

Any potato can drive HD 599. And most 1150/1220 or newer Realteks especially with amps are fine for these kind of headphones.

Software adjustments are only going to butcher things and if you need EQ well then there is EqualizerAPO+PEACE that works with ANY sound device.
Cards from Sound Blaster, ASUS, etc. are pretty much relics of the past nowadays. Either use good onboard with amp or get an external DAC+AMP.

If you can listen to the devices with your headphone and decide if there is even any change, if that change is due to internal EQ differences or there is an actual quality difference.

Sound card cam be internal or external, it's nothing more than a DAC with sometimes a sound processor which nowadays is often done in software not in a hardware chip like before.

The whole audio market is swimming in snake oil. Beware.

There is a lot of truth to this. Unless you are running analog audio cables from your PC to a 5.1 stereo receiver like I am, there is little need for a sound card any more and often the onboard audio is actually good enough for that as well though you might not get the bass redirect if you have a subwoofer. That said, I can still notice the difference between on board audio for a typical cheap motherboard vs a dedicated sound card but on a nice motherboard the difference would be minimal, if at all.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 05-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in