Creative AE9 available for pre order $349. Available August 12, 2019 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Creative AE9 available for pre order $349. Available August 12, 2019

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by BroadPwns View Post
SC808 is the original construction not based on anything, HDX is its rebrand, I highly encourage you to try it out, it's available on ebay, at least the AIM.
Really? That's interesting; i'll go have a look, always open to new stuff

Quote: Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
YES, Special. You know why, because months ago it was hinted that the delay was due to getting "Super-X-FI" included
Your tone implies an emotional undertone being present; if the case, again, no need; just having a conversation here.
As to what was hinted.. let us stick to what is?
(btw if you missed it above, you posted while i was typing myself before; have edited the post above this one)

Pride, honour and purity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
If you're describing something like say 7.1, which let's be honest, is more of a wall of sound (after)effect than anything else, i'd agree wholeheartedly. If by the above however you're encompassing.. everything, i'd beg to differ.
Again, use-case scenario. Done well and with the headphones to match (assumption being that if you had speakers and an amp at the least, you'd probably be in a wholy different category anyway), surround emulation can be just fine for watching that odd movie on your PC; be it because she's not interested in watching it with you, because she's watching some crappy telly show that makes you want to kill yourself, slowly, or simply because you just want to watch it alone. A matter of implementation and a matter of having the "right" expectations from the start.

This once again leads me to what i implied earlier, so without changing the subject of this topic altogether, let us simply say that if focused on fidelity, one shouldn't even be reading this subforum; at all. Be they into internal or external "sound cards".
This is for either the uninformed or the well informed, if you get my meaning.

As to the cards you mentioned, haven't tried either really, they both seemed like knock-offs of some very specific models from.. other brands and i tend to shy away from encouraging such endeavours; which is what one does when one goes ahead and buys them.
If you're happy with either however, power to you.
(last card i was happy with was the Claro [coupled with a [email protected]], but.. different times..)

Edit: Nightingale missed your post, sorry. Probably changed in the interim and they haven't updated it yet? Pic i've uploaded is from a Creative's PR, as posted on their official channel in Reddit; you check either of the reviews i've listed, you'll find their own pics being identical; either way, it's all good
Just checked there Website(creative) they took everything down and it's under construction now. Oh and I read the Spanish review that you posted. I hope maybe that they will add the ability for Super-X-FI later on but at this point, I have lost complete interest in the card. I was personally looking for THE BEST IMMERSIVE HRTF Implementation for gaming, movies etc.. on the PC. I already have $12,000 worth of Hi-Fi gear.

So disappointed in the lack of innovation for simulated surround sound. I wish a new era of Hardware accelerated Real time 3D sound would take off.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Really? That's interesting; i'll go have a look, always open to new stuff

Your tone implies an emotional undertone being present; if the case, again, no need; just having a conversation here.
As to what was hinted.. let us stick to what is?
(btw if you missed it above, you posted while i was typing myself before; have edited the post above this one)
You know what's funny, when I re-read that post , I was thinking, I hope he doesn't think I am being snotty with him. I should have made a better effort in conveying my message.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 PM
►¿¿¿

Rep: 48 (Unique: 41)
Wasnt this supposed to have xFi HRTF thing in it?, where is it?, did i recall incorrectly?

Not that id buy another internal sound card again, AE-5 burned me plenty (ungodly poor mic performance.)

-.-
(14 items)
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM
G.skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL14
Hard Drive
SX8200 Pro 1TB +30 TB Spinning Rust
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-1000TR
Cooling
Dark Rock 4 Pro
Case
Fractal R6 (Dont buy, terrible HDD trays)
Operating System
Win 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VX2268wm
Keyboard
SteelKeys 6G
Mouse
Pro Intellimouse
Mousepad
QcK Heavy/Artisan Zero XL FX
Audio
Craptive AE-5
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
I hope maybe that they will add the ability for Super-X-FI later on .. disappointed in the lack of innovation for simulated surround sound
That would take us back to the Windows 95 era, as in many ways, it all starts there, in as far as implementations (or the reasoning for the lack thereof) may be concerned ^^
But my love for Monkeysoft aside, not the place to do that

I can say however that in your shoes, i wouldn't really put too much stock on xfi. In fact, the primary reason for my contemplating buying the AE-9 is because it's to be the last (and ""best"") card they'll make without it. But again, to each their own.

Edit: nah, just uncertain, but it's fine

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Axaion View Post
Wasnt this supposed to have xFi HRTF thing in it?, where is it?, did i recall incorrectly?

Not that id buy another internal sound card again, AE-5 burned me plenty (ungodly poor mic performance.)
It's Called Super-X-fi and yes everyone was expecting it to be included.

---Look! We have just developed a brand new UltraDSP chip! Nah, just put our 8-year-old outdated codec in the flagship product and call it a day.---

The AE9 probably has the best mic input ever incorporated in a consumer gaming/media card. They actually addressed the issue and it only took them 7 years.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That would take us back to the Windows 95 era, as in many ways, it all starts there, in as far as implementations (or the reasoning for the lack thereof) may be concerned ^^
But my love for Monkeysoft aside, not the place to do that

I can say however that in your shoes, i wouldn't really put too much stock on xfi. In fact, the primary reason for my contemplating buying the AE-9 is because it's to be the last (and ""best"") card they'll make without it. But again, to each their own.

Edit: nah, just uncertain, but it's fine
The demand or hunger for decent HRTF today is huge. Super Xfi was a good start heading in the right direction. In the end we need competition or the industry to drive these innovations. Oh well, glad I was a teenager during the highest peak in PC gaming innovation back in the late 90's to early 2000's

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 AM
vf-
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Sounds like this card was a huge letdown from reading the review. Marketing once again.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by vf- View Post
Sounds like this card was a huge letdown from reading the review. Marketing once again.
Depends;
It is for me*, but i have the ZXR with all its op-amps replaced (V6 vivids from Burson). Will admit i'm itching to do a comparison with the AE-9 however, amps are compatible, so it would really be an apples to apples comparison; might yet get to do it.
But for someone not in that spot? Or for someone around that spot but with a need for something better in terms of capture? Especially if they want it all integrated? Why not?

* it's not so much what it does or does not do, it's how they conceptualised the card around said functions; and how they segmented their stack, that too. The AE-7 is basically an AE-5, only it has "better" DAC; which on its own means nothing, but that's a different topic; suffice it to say that victims did exist to buy the AE-5, so am certain yet more exist that will purchase the AE-7; then you have the AE-9, which barring, again, a better DAC [honestly nothing on its own, above a certain level it's other aspects that offer or detract]? Offers less than the ZXR in some factors, but 'more' in the capture part of things; concept; they're going after the nu-age post millennials (of all real ages, we have some 40yr olds right in this forum fitting that mold just fine), because streaming gaemz for ub3r lootz; with RGB! Only cheaper, because now it's integrated! I can see an audience there; the wrong kind, but an audience nonetheless.
Anyway, i'm so far out of the norm i'm not even risking a guess as to what "people" may think of it; i recall Creative stating multiple times that most of what you see now was in direct response to requests made to them.. so, who knows, maybe that's what "people" wanted. I mean they also want iPhones, RGB, glass with no vent in their PC cases, McDonalds, World of Warcraft and Panamericana Super Hero movies, so why not this too; honestly no idea.

Regardless, i do hope this sells well; just like i sincerely hope the NU Audio sold well and every other "internal" sound card out there; not a segment of this market i'd want going away; that would be really sad.

Last edited by Aenra; 07-21-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:36 PM
vf-
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
My real gripe with sound cards these days is how quickly they ditch driver support to push you for new cards. Or when Microsoft changes things. Just like the way my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude has gone with 1903. Granted Auzentech has long went defunct but it's still annoying good cards has become useless with new Windows releases and hearing people complaining about AE-5 issues on the Creative reddit forum the past few months since 1903...

I'd also like to know the purpose of the so called EMI shield when it exposes the opamps. Yes, I've heard they're supposedly gimmicks. It just feels like it's another attempt from Creative to try and stay relevant?...

Last edited by vf-; 07-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in