Headset and soundcard combo? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Headset and soundcard combo?

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 119)
Headset and soundcard combo?

I have been looking at a headset and soundcard combo for mostly gaming. I am not looking for stuff that tweaks the sound for and "advantage." I just want good immersive audio. I do need a mic though.

Current thoughts are a Sennheiser GSP 600 headset and Creative AE-9. Friend's and family is going one at Microcenter, so I can get a decent price on them. I won't likely get both at once but need a headset sooner rather than later.

I like Sennheiser stuff. Most of my audio stuff is Sennheiser already. So, I would prefer to stay with them. My other thought was getting the HD 598 headphones and one of those add on mics. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:07 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 49 (Unique: 37)
My thoughts are to enter in that giveaway of an AE-9 at the top of the main page.

Also to check if you are ok with the tradeoff of better soundstage (which you likely won't miss if you don't get) vs letting in the background sounds when you are gaming. To see if you want open or closed headphones.

Also do you want an emphasis on bass quantity and quality? Treble quantity and precision (more treble lends to more detail detection)? Or maybe a good all arounder that has a comfortable sound you can listen to for a while?

There are those who prefer each of those and argue from their bias. They are just trying to tell the best in their opinion, but it helps if you know were you are coming from. And you generally don't get a headphone that is best at everything.

Bloomy bass or just kind of good treble won't be innately apparent, so you might not notice unless you compare to tight bass or crisp treble. You will probably notice your ears getting worn out from harsh headphones though. Even if they are giving you the wall of bass or cutting detail you want. So a comfortable sound is nice to have. I don't use a mic more than barely at all so my answers will be largely ignorant on that important aspect.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, I am looking for the cleanest overall sound. I do listen to some music once in a while on my computer. That's how I listened to the new Tool album. I put my current headset one and leaned back with my eyes closed for 90min. That is not a regular thing, but it happens. So, I guess a good clean al rounder. I don't need bass to be thumping me hard. I just want to be able to hear it cleanly.

As for closed vs open, generall I game after the wife and kid are in bed. So, background noise does not matter much. I also have my own room for the computer. I owned one open headset in the past, but that was years ago.

So, basically I want to sit in my games and feel like I am in the world. At least to the best that the game has the ability to do that. But none of those gaming gimmicks like tweaking the EQ so footsteps are louder. I want more of that movie sound experience. But, then be able to listen to music afterwords with equally good quality. I am leaning more HD598 the more I look into things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post
Well, I am looking for the cleanest overall sound. I do listen to some music once in a while on my computer. That's how I listened to the new Tool album. I put my current headset one and leaned back with my eyes closed for 90min. That is not a regular thing, but it happens. So, I guess a good clean al rounder. I don't need bass to be thumping me hard. I just want to be able to hear it cleanly.

As for closed vs open, generall I game after the wife and kid are in bed. So, background noise does not matter much. I also have my own room for the computer. I owned one open headset in the past, but that was years ago.

So, basically I want to sit in my games and feel like I am in the world. At least to the best that the game has the ability to do that. But none of those gaming gimmicks like tweaking the EQ so footsteps are louder. I want more of that movie sound experience. But, then be able to listen to music afterwords with equally good quality. I am leaning more HD598 the more I look into things.

Creative is junk... Also what type of headset you need ? Most headsets now are USB and Virtual Surround 7.1 ................... I can't think of any headsets that has jacks except for my last decade first headsets they ever made. After that they went USB which is great. You will get positional audio. You can hear ***** behind you on the side of you in front of you and around the corner.
What is your budget ? Honestly if your mobo is half decent, I suggest you use the on board audio as it has come a long way. As for headsets what is your budget ?

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM
CS+EE Alumnus

Rep: 205 (Unique: 166)
The headphone + attachable/separate mic route is the better way to go. I'd read the writeup I did in my sig for how DSP works since there's some equipment recommendations there. Strange as it might sound, for any low impedance and or high sensitivity headphones, I recommend Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm headphone adapter ($8-9) since it's already audibly transparent. It has a SINAD of 99dB (you need 96 dB or higher for an effective 16 bits of dynamic range; there's no equipment I've seen that does 24 bits and 120 dB of dynamic range from 16 bits with noise shaping is already enough to capture any reasonable volumes we'd want to playback). It's also basically made every piece of audio gear below $150-$200 irrelevant. The more expensive gear will have higher SINADs which are moreso just for bragging rights at this point. I'd only spend more if you plan on getting high impedance and or low sensitivity headphones because this dongle doesn't output enough power to drive those.

If you want an HRTF algorithm for any content that doesn't have its own (e.g. movies that offer surround sound) or video games whose HRTF don't quite work for you, Microsoft includes one with Windows 10 called Windows Sonic (right click your volume icon and go into the Spatial Sound submenu) due to their mixed reality initiatives (Hololens and the Mixed Reality headsets).

Last edited by HybridCore; 12-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Budget for the headset is $200-300. Most everything I have looked at in this range is 3.5mm or 6mm jacked. I do not really want USB.

Mobo was a really good one a few years age ROG Rampage IV Extreme. Decent onboard for the time. Want better.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 AM
CS+EE Alumnus

Rep: 205 (Unique: 166)
If you really need a sound card for whatever reason, I'd get the EVGA NU Audio so long as the driver issues I've heard of are fixed. Usually I stray away from recommending internal solutions because they're prone to driver issues; if not now, down the road as operating systems change their system calls and interfaces such that previously fine drivers no longer work. The USB UAC interface is stable and practically universal (it's part of USB spec), so external equipment that does use USB UAC won't be buggy or become incompatible down the road.

Onboard is still more or less trash. Even the boards using the ALC1220 which claim an SNR of 120dB actually have implementations that result in SINADs south of 90dB. The chip on its own can produce those kinds of numbers but the motherboard implementations can't.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 629 (Unique: 342)
most sound cards are still battling driver issues with Microsoft.

get a Schiit Hel or something.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 39 (Unique: 22)
Can't go wrong with AiM SC808 with changed OPAMPS. Sennheisers GSP600 as a headset is very good too.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
Still looking for a decent kit because holy sheit, the prices
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Artcic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent + 1.6x6mm o-rings
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
If you really need a sound card for whatever reason, I'd get the EVGA NU Audio so long as the driver issues I've heard of are fixed. Usually I stray away from recommending internal solutions because they're prone to driver issues; if not now, down the road as operating systems change their system calls and interfaces such that previously fine drivers no longer work. The USB UAC interface is stable and practically universal (it's part of USB spec), so external equipment that does use USB UAC won't be buggy or become incompatible down the road.

Onboard is still more or less trash. Even the boards using the ALC1220 which claim an SNR of 120dB actually have implementations that result in SINADs south of 90dB. The chip on its own can produce those kinds of numbers but the motherboard implementations can't.
I am open to a DAC. I don't have to have a card. I was trying to avoid USB headsets and getting a sound upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in