What tweeters are some good tweeters? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

What tweeters are some good tweeters?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 09:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 506 (Unique: 335)
Everyone else is right, but I would also go one step further and say that replacing your tweeter is probably a waste of time and money.

Tweeters don't magically blow for no reason (despite what a lot of people think). There could be a larger problem that caused the tweeter to blow and the replacement tweeter might not last.

There are so many better speakers you can buy for cheap, that you would be better off just upgrading your speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i have tried to mail edifier and no answer for more than 2 days now.. i dont know what to do , i really love how these speakers sound and they were not cheap for me. i cant find any replacement tweeters online i dont know what to do

LE: also i have no ideea what specs should i search for online as replacement tweeters. For example if i dont find the exact Wattage tweeters will i put in danger my soundcard from my pc or anything like that that would burn stuff from my pc ? Or i can actually have a replacement of tweeters that are alike these not the same but alike and be all good? i dont seek to have the exact sound.. i just want to have tweeters again

Last edited by Epicnoob; 02-20-2020 at 05:31 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
I just wanted to ask, if the OP was to replace his speakers entirely, what happens to the old ones?

It's a rhetorical question, but I am trying to highlight the uncounted costs of consumerism.

I realize that probably most of you don't give a second thought about where your trash goes and the long term effects of our garbage mountains, but for somebody like me, it is a primary consideration when it comes to repair or replace.

Sometimes the easy way isn't the best way in the long term.

OP: I would take this question to a hifi forum, surely the expertise and knowledge there would surpass what is available on this forum.

Be honest, behind the facade of those things, the real priority is just screwing everyone over in the name of obscene profit & delaying any kind of backlash as long as possible. That's the real world.
CPU
Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard
Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
GPU
XFX R9 290+AC Kryographics+Aktiv XCS
RAM
G.Skill Flare 16000 7-9-7
Hard Drive
Gifted Samsung 850 Evo
Optical Drive
Pioneer 18X DVD-R
Power Supply
Seasonic S12+ 850W
Case
Lian Li A77B
Operating System
Server 2012 R2
Monitor
Yamakasi Catleap 2B
Mouse
Razer Lachesis
Audio
Auzen Prelude
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TriWheel View Post
I just wanted to ask, if the OP was to replace his speakers entirely, what happens to the old ones?

It's a rhetorical question, but I am trying to highlight the uncounted costs of consumerism.

I realize that probably most of you don't give a second thought about where your trash goes and the long term effects of our garbage mountains, but for somebody like me, it is a primary consideration when it comes to repair or replace.

Sometimes the easy way isn't the best way in the long term.

OP: I would take this question to a hifi forum, surely the expertise and knowledge there would surpass what is available on this forum.
Here is my rhetorical answer. Turn it into a bird house. Honestly, if you take out the drivers, speakers do actually make decent bird houses. I have gutted a few larger speakers for my cats to play in. At the end of the day, speakers are just wooden boxes, so finding a use for dead speakers isn't particularly hard.

And I am actually on the other hifi forums. I make my own speakers, design my own amplifiers, and the whole 9 yards. And no, the hifi forums wouldn't say anything different because the problem is the same.

We know almost nothing about the tweeter in question. We know its a 13mm (1/2 inch) silk dome tweeter rated at 4 ohms according to the speaker data sheet. We don't know the tweeters sensitivity. We don't know the frequency response. AND we would have to find a tweeter with a similar wave guide and mounting holes so that the OP could slap it back in the speaker without any issue.

You just can't slap any old tweeter in this thing and have it work.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe someone might have a similar speaker up on ebay that you can use for parts. You can also check the tweeter to see if there are any part numbers on it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
In addition to what angel said above you should replace both tweeters at the same time if you do get a model that is different from the stock one as they will sound pretty different otherwise.

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Meep

Rep: 327 (Unique: 234)
If you still want to give it a shot anyway, dayton audio has some very affordable options:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-104

Worst case you're out $18 for both speakers, worth the shot if you like tinkering.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
If you still want to give it a shot anyway, dayton audio has some very affordable options:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-104

Worst case you're out $18 for both speakers, worth the shot if you like tinkering.

They won't mount to his speakers correctly, I already looked into those tweeters along with the other 4 ohm tweeters on partsexpress.

Thats part of the problem. If his tweeters were just a simple tweeter, then at least we could find a random cheap tweeter he could try. However his tweeters have a waveguide with a 4 screw mount. To make matters worse, I can only imagine that the hole for the tweeter is probably larger than usual, so a regular tweeter might not even have a chance to mount correctly even if you are willing to drill new holes.

I am passively searching on aliexpress and some other chinese supplier sites to see if maybe there is a driver that looks similar to the stock tweeter. I can't even find anything remotely similar so far.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 02:45 AM
Meep

Rep: 327 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post
They won't mount to his speakers correctly, I already looked into those tweeters along with the other 4 ohm tweeters on partsexpress.

Thats part of the problem. If his tweeters were just a simple tweeter, then at least we could find a random cheap tweeter he could try. However his tweeters have a waveguide with a 4 screw mount. To make matters worse, I can only imagine that the hole for the tweeter is probably larger than usual, so a regular tweeter might not even have a chance to mount correctly even if you are willing to drill new holes.

I am passively searching on aliexpress and some other chinese supplier sites to see if maybe there is a driver that looks similar to the stock tweeter. I can't even find anything remotely similar so far.
Yeah, it'll need modification to get it to fit properly for sure. Pretty much why I ended it with "if you like tinkering", as that's the only reason to even attempt to "fix" them.

I mean, the logical thing to do if you want a proper functional set is to sell them for "Parts or repair" and get a new pair, as I've seen the drop below €70 quite regularly.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Yeah, it'll need modification to get it to fit properly for sure. Pretty much why I ended it with "if you like tinkering", as that's the only reason to even attempt to "fix" them.

I mean, the logical thing to do if you want a proper functional set is to sell them for "Parts or repair" and get a new pair, as I've seen the drop below €70 quite regularly.
ah, I was thinking more along the lines of tinkering with the crossover which will almost certainly be necessary.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Taking it Easy

Rep: 308 (Unique: 251)
I know I'm late to the party but if you really have nothing to lose why not just spend a few bucks and see what it sounds like? I dunno about everybody else but I have a local electronics parts store here that has all different kinds of random off brand drivers for 5 bucks all the way to 200 bucks. I've built entire speakers that sounded pretty good (A/B tested against some 200 dollar polk speakers and my friends thought mine sounded better) with like 30 dollars worth of woofers and tweeters. Don't think that you have to get the EXACT tweeter model to still make them sound close enough. He's definitely not trying to monitor reference material with his Edifier system.

I miss $250 GPUs that could still play everything.
The Studio
(14 items)
Plex Media Server
(11 items)
CPU
Core i5 6500
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
GPU
Sapphire Radeon R9 290
RAM
2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
1TB SATA SSD
Power Supply
XFX 750W BE
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 EVO
Case
Azza Solano
Monitor
Dual HP 20" 1680x1050
Keyboard
Velocifire Wireless Brown Mech Switches
Mouse
Logitech G400
Audio
Tascam US-1800
Audio
JBL LSR305
Audio
Sennheiser HD600
CPU
AMD FX-6300
Motherboard
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450
RAM
12GB GSkill DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red Pro 8TB
Hard Drive
120GB SATA SSD
Power Supply
Corsair 850W
Cooling
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Case
Antec
Operating System
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Audio
lol
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in