[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club - Page 4004 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club

post #40031 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
Bought a new set of cans: AKG K845BT
Cost me only 99€, pretty good deal for an AKG K545 with added Bluetooth (aptx codec is fully supported). Mainly using them while wired.
Now I only need the Boompro microphone to complete the ultimate gaming headset.

Also bought Edifier W830BT BT-headphones and Panasonic RP-HD605 ANC-headphones. The Edifier has bottomless battery (95h) and the Panasonic has decent ANC-performance for the price (149€ on a sale). Neither of them can touch the AKG in sound quality department though.

Also moved back from All-In-One speaker-amp/headphone-amp/DAC to two separate devices, mainly because I found this beauty to power my headphone-amp/DAC: https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=702&area=en

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40032 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Good or bad, i'm not sure, lol, but here goes.
Listened to Stax's SR-009S today. Well, minus a short break, still am.
Mother %*#$^&@ i just... don't.. ... ...

I need money god damnit! More money!

Friendly advice, do not repeat at home. Now i just want to throw my Audezes out the window, go out back and stamp them to smithereens. They are horrible. Crap. My ZMF pair? Horrible too. Trash. Deemed unworthy.
I need help.

I also need money. If i start a campaign here, will y'all donate? It's for a good cause.

Pride, honour and purity.
post #40033 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Phenomenologist

Rep: 173 (Unique: 143)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post

Friendly advice, do not repeat at home. Now i just want to throw my Audezes out the window, go out back and stamp them to smithereens. They are horrible. Crap. My ZMF pair? Horrible too. Trash. Deemed unworthy.
I need help.

I also need money. If i start a campaign here, will y'all donate? It's for a good cause.
Just buy some nice $800 pair of speakers, it beats STAX 009 any day, and costs 1/3 the price of the STAX setup after amp and dac... actually probably only 1/4.

In other news, I am selling my HifiMAN HE-400S with stock pads, Sundara PALIPADS, and about 3 other pairs of unused new earpads for it. Thought it was going to be my long term can, but HD58X has won in the end. If anyone is interested I will be posting the sell thread for it all soon.

Headphones: Sennhesier HD660S
AMP: Schiit Asgard 2
DAC: Schiit Modi 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40034 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by caenlen View Post
Just buy some nice $800 pair of speakers, it beats STAX 009 any day
I never minded clueless people, there's always the option to learn, should one aspire for it. I did always mind the wilfully ignorant though or worse, those intellectually incapable of even grasping that maybe, just maybe, they only -think- they know
Regardless, since others are reading and i wouldn't like to leave things off with a wrong impression about sound and cost.

As my post explicitly states, i'm kinda above that price range already. I won't ask if you own the 009s, as you'd then wouldn't be stating they are actually worse (....) than headphones in the 800 price range. Great comment.
I might however wonder why one would bother speaking ill, hell, taking the time to do so, of something they're unfamiliar with/don't even own so to test it themselves? But hey, free world, right?

Advice.
If you don't have hearing issues, or complexes/psychological factors that prevent you from being objective (because the difference is so vast, it really is at an 'objective' level, even though yes, "sound", i know)?
Throw your pre-amp, amp and cables -basically everything except your actual reproduction source- to the trash. Buy something decent. More to it, something capable of driving electrostatics properly. Then some cables worthy of the name; you know, the ones you won't find mentioned in head-fi or randominternetsoundforum.com. Then listen; not before. Skip commenting on sound quality 'till you do.

* Aah, i just reead your sig.. That explains it.. a schiit ""system"".. a modi at that, lol.. maaajor hardware.. and you think you can talk 4grand electrostatics? See above about ignorance.

(and no, i'm not "offended"; i don't even own this pair, was on a short loan as mentioned. I'm just perfectly capable of finding the good where it can be found, regardless of whether i can or cannot acquire it myself)

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 09-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #40035 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by caenlen View Post
Just buy some nice $800 pair of speakers, it beats STAX 009 any day, and costs 1/3 the price of the STAX setup after amp and dac... actually probably only 1/4.
Sure they will....... I'm sure a Ipod sounds just as good as a Astell&Kern.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #40036 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 506 (Unique: 335)

I need help.

Make your own pair? There is a whole thread on head-fi about making your own electrostatic headphones. You will make a few drivers before you end up with something really good, but you can easily make something that is on par with the orpheus headphones which are better than the 009S IMO.

I have seen people make their first ESL headphone drivers for 20 bucks. Seriously its pretty much child's play to make the drivers, and you can have someone 3d print you some nice cups and a headband for you.

The real cost is the amplifier. If you are willing to put in some time and do the research, you can also build a dedicated amplifier for less than 100 bucks if you want to be super frugal and less than 300 for something half decent.
post #40037 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Sure they will....... I'm sure a Ipod sounds just as good as a Astell&Kern.
No, he is definitely correct. I will temper what he said and say that you can just buy any old pair of speakers. You do have to get pretty high quality speakers. However you can buy some awesome vintage speakers for cheap that will pretty much beat any headphone on the market.

IDK exactly what the science or the proper wording is, but good speakers just sound more natural than headphones do.

However if you had to go with headphones, I would say that ESL headphones would be my first choice. Next would be either planars or ear speakers like the K1000.
post #40038 of 40038 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

I never minded clueless people, there's always the option to learn, should one aspire for it. I did always mind the wilfully ignorant though or worse, those intellectually incapable of even grasping that maybe, just maybe, they only -think- they know
Regardless, since others are reading and i wouldn't like to leave things off with a wrong impression about sound and cost.

As my post explicitly states, i'm kinda above that price range already. I won't ask if you own the 009s, as you'd then wouldn't be stating they are actually worse (....) than headphones in the 800 price range. Great comment.
I might however wonder why one would bother speaking ill, hell, taking the time to do so, of something they're unfamiliar with/don't even own so to test it themselves? But hey, free world, right?

Advice.
If you don't have hearing issues, or complexes/psychological factors that prevent you from being objective (because the difference is so vast, it really is at an 'objective' level, even though yes, "sound", i know)?
Throw your pre-amp, amp and cables -basically everything except your actual reproduction source- to the trash. Buy something decent. More to it, something capable of driving electrostatics properly. Then some cables worthy of the name; you know, the ones you won't find mentioned in head-fi or randominternetsoundforum.com. Then listen; not before. Skip commenting on sound quality 'till you do.

* Aah, i just reead your sig.. That explains it.. a schiit ""system"".. a modi at that, lol.. maaajor hardware.. and you think you can talk 4grand electrostatics? See above about ignorance.

(and no, i'm not "offended"; i don't even own this pair, was on a short loan as mentioned. I'm just perfectly capable of finding the good where it can be found, regardless of whether i can or cannot acquire it myself)

OI OI OI cool your jets there big guy. I like to trash talk schiit audio as much as the next guy, but come on now. You were just exposed to some nice headphones and now you are crapping on someone else's opinions because of their system? Not cool man.

I absolutely love stax headphones. I actually sold caenlen his first pair of ESL headphones. My avatar is literally the stax girl. So if there is anyone on this forum who understands your enthusiasm about stax headphones, its me.

HOWEVER, there are areas where ESL headphones do fall short. One example is that their low end bass performance is kind of dismal to say the least. The skull candy headphones you see at target for 40 bucks actually have more bottom end bass than the 009s do.

So don't go thinking the 009s are perfect for everyone and anyone who disagrees are ignorant. There are several sonics reasons where the 009s can be a real deal breaker for people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in